Critters!! ARRRR!!

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
schuylkill
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest SE

So I was headed to the lake and going down my driveway hill van was running rough. I popped the hood and there was a nest of leaves under the plenum. Lots of leaves. While digging them out I found that the injector harness had been chewed through. The RS harness along the firewall. Hopefully I can find one at the boneyard, first I want to pull the plenum and check things out. PITA!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The injector connectors are pretty common, if you can't find some in the JY to cut pigtails then let me know, I can get you some from our shop collection. Won't be free (they charge me), but it won't cost a ton either.

schuylkill

The wire was chewed about 2" from the connector where the harness plugs into another harness. So I suspect the pigtails are intact it's at the lead end of the harness. I have to dig in to see what it looks like under the plenum. There isn't enough of a wire left at the connector on at least one wire to make a repair. At least that's what I recall I walked away pretty disappointed will revisit tomorrow.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Those 6-pin and 8-pin subharness connectors are fairly common too, I don't think you'll have much trouble finding one in the JY. If you don't have a package of solder shrinks, get some. They'll make splicing the pigtail a lot easier than crimps, and waterproof besides.

schuylkill

So 3 of the 8 wires on the plug look to me to be the same solid red color. Does that mean I can match them with any of the same color wire? Otherwise how would I know how to arrange them? Also I'm confused about the fact that 7 wires in the cable wrap that were attached to the plug route under the plenum while 1 wire is by itself on the firewall side. I opened up the cable to get more access to the wires, I'm hoping I can attach the connector without removing the plenum.

schuylkill

I think I can save the connector if I splice in some extensions on 3 of the wires to make them easier to work with for reattaching to subharness. I do have solder shrinks, I was worried I wouldn't be able to have access to use them but I think it will work out. I might get one of the lighters that Martha Stewart and Snoop are hawking with the long pipe tip.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

macgiver

That thing is also best suited to reach waaaay in there and light those Critters's run out of there :rotflmao

schuylkill

So 3 of the 8 wires on the plug look to me to be the same solid red color. Does that mean I can match them with any of the same color wire?
Any input on this?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

schuylkill wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:25 pm
So 3 of the 8 wires on the plug look to me to be the same solid red color. Does that mean I can match them with any of the same color wire?
Any input on this?
I'll look in Identifix tomorrow and see what I can dig up. The FSM's being down is a complete PITA. My suspicion is they'll be three common power wires for the injectors and can be ganged together, but let me try to verify it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Okay, I found part of it in Identifix. Two of the three red wires in F44 are definitely 12V power for the injectors. Trouble is, I can't find anything for the third one. If an ohmmeter can't tell you, then it will have to wait for Tuesday when I can get into ASIST.

schuylkill

Vstar my bad there are only 2 solid red, the other has a black stripe that is very difficult for me to see being color blind. I could never work in communications.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No worries, I'll check ASIST tomorrow and get a layout for all the wires in the connector. Is it trashed on the injector side, the ECM side, or both?

schuylkill

The injector side. I opened up the bundle yesterday so I can gently pull the wires towards the front of the van and have more access. There is one wire that isn't part of the coupling on the ECM side (purple?) and it is short so it will be a back buster but there's about 2" to work with now, I might splice on an extension. 22° today so I'm thinking about it. Hopefully get to JY tomorrow morning.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The FSM doesn't have an "overall" EC diagram (some of the old ones don't), but here's what I can piece together. I identified all but pin #8 on F101:

1 - L/W - Injector #5 signal
2 - R/Y - Injector #3 signal
3 - P/R - Purge Control Valve signal
4 - R/G - 12V for Purge, IVT
5 - R - 12V for Injectors
6 - R/B - Injector #1 signal
7 - R/L - Bank1 IVT Valve signal

P = Pink
L = Blue

schuylkill

There are 2 solid red wires, is that the other for voltage as you pointed out earlier?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I initially misread the diagram, there's only one power wire showing for the injectors. Like I said, I couldn't identify pin 8, so if it's in position 8 then it may be power (although I can't imagine what it's for, the circuits above are all complete as shown). The easiest way to find that out would be a test lamp. Are you sure one of the plain reds hasn't simply lost a stripe?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - You said you're color blind, if it's the red-green kind then the R/G will look all red to you. One way to get around that without assistance is to take a pic and then fiddle the gamma with an artwork program to shift the whole color range. The stripe should show up as you shift toward blue and away from yellow.

Cats are red-green color blind, too. One of the best short stories I ever read was entitled, The Color of Grass, The Color of Blood. That says just about everything you need to know about cats, except maybe to add a siren for the Gravity Police.
;)

schuylkill

Looking for a subharness on ebay there is one for sale for a 350Z I believe it was and the connector only had 7 pins. On the Quest there is a solid purple or magenta wire that was not in the cable with the other 7 wires. Unless it's me again that is also not in your diagram. I'm only looking at the plug and the wires on it which are only about 1/2" in length in several cases. I'll look at the harness tomorrow, I got a second shingles vaccine stab yesterday and I am under the weather. Went to the JY today and found a plug. The vehicle I found it on had everything intact located as they should be on a bracket bolted to the head I guess it is. My Quest has wires and plugs everywhere it seems. I'm not confident that this will go well. On the bracket on JY vehicle were both an 8 pin connector and a 6 pin one. I removed the computer and the pan to get access. I will do that on my vehicle also so maybe I can make out better what is going on.

Could these wires be for the coil packs and not the injectors?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No, I looked in the harness diagram and traced all the connectors that went back to F101, that's how I assembled the pins and colors. Like I said, there seems to be no "umbrella" EC diagram for your ride like most of the later FSM's have. The only sensors on the engine that use single wires and might be in that neighborhood are the knocks, but knocks always have a shield ground so that doesn't make complete sense either. I have no clue what that 8th wire might be, but it would have to be either an input that grounds through the block like a temperature sender, or an output arranged like an injector or IVT with a 12V supply and an ECM ground.

schuylkill

So finally yesterday I got the wiring repaired and at least for a couple of rips it seems good. Runs fine and no CEL. There is a second red 12V line that goes down the firewall side of the engine with another wire. Didn't bother tracing it, could it go to the sensor that is on the engine block next to the axle? The other red wire has 3 wires welded to it where it splits to the injectors. I saw that on the plug I got at the JY. At any rate I had moderate success in using the lighter, trying to keep the tube in the blue flame. It was a breezy day and I was working outside. It was sunny and warm enough so I wanted to get it done while I had some mojo. It was difficult for me to see clearly the solder melting but I guess I was successful enough. Wrapped the bundle in electrical tape and covered that with high heat cloth tape. I was still finding oak leaves from the squirrels cozy digs. I am now on alert.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “Quest Forum”