Creaking steeering wheel

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
balancesheet

Went to anther dealership this past Saturday - the tech guy actually came out and asked me to show him where the noise was - it was pretty obvious (and loud) so it was easy. He told me he would take care of it and drove the car to the service area. I was just sitting in the lounge expecting a 2-hour wait and a second trip so that they can “order” some “parts” to replace whatever that’s broken. 10 minutes later he came to the lounge and told me the repair is done – he simply lubricated the parts (I assumed he was referring to the steering wheel and the axle) and the noise is gone. What a surprise! I am a happy camper again!

Jostudly
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

My Rogue S is 1 year and 9 months old and now I have started hearing a noise from my steering wheel column. When I turn sharply it sounds like a "farting noise" lol. I know its not me doing the farting so it must be something behing the steering wheel. I will have it checked on the next oil change.

Jostudly

Well I booked an appt with my dealer to try and fix the noise from the steering wheel. I wonder if I should only get them to re-route the airbag wires and leave the clock spring alone for now. I just don't want them to change the clock spring and it gets worse like on some other Rogues in this thread. What do you guys think?

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I never notice creeking steering wheel until reading this forum ramped up my senses. It never really bothered me. I once felt a creak on the Rogue steering wheel but not enough of a problem to dwell on it. On my mom's 2002 Camry it has a creak when after backing up the driveway and turning wheel when leaving.

Only reason I notice it was remembering all the complaints in here about a creaking steering wheel. Never really bothers me though. Actually thought it normal. Only happens after backing out of a driveway but never on every turn or anything.

woohoo!

ps- when I mean creak, its just one creak. Not actually a vibration but ONE vibrate feel.

philipa_240sx

Just a comments here...

Due to the electric power steering system used in the Rogue, it is quite normal to get a low pitched vibrating noise when turning the wheel very fast. From the owners manual pg 5-25 (or thereabouts):
You may hear a fricative sound when the steering wheel is operated quickly. However, this is not a malfunction.

Jostudly

Well I brought my Rogue in and they lubed the steering shaft cover where the firewall is and the noise is gone now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Clock spring/spiral cable was replaced for the 3rd time, including new steering wheel and new air bag previous attempted fixes I think I'm at 5 attempts minimum. This latest fix eliminated the noise for about 4 weeks and boy I was a happy driver again, I didn't realize how annoying that noise was.

But, four weeks later my steering wheel is starting to creak again, I can't believe it. I'm starting to think the only proper fix would be to replace the entire steering shaft/column, and possibly even the rack. The mounting surface for the clock spring must be out of spec, because each new clock spring only lasts a matter of weeks before it starts to get noisy.

The other questions going through my mind are: is a squeeking clock spring a mechanical issue over time, i.e. can it fail, or is it just a superficial or cosmetic noise that I should learn to ignore (very tough to speculate I realize, of course if it fails that would require an immediate repair but who knows if this noise indicates an early failure is likely)?

Also IF I were to pursue this further with the dealer and they decided to replace the entire steering column, do I really want them to go to this extent to fix a squeeky wheel and I can I trust them to do the work without inadvertantly damaging something else (I'm envisioning loose steering issues, noisy power steering box etc., who knows what they might damage inadvertantly).

I know these guys are pros but I'm wondering if a steering column replacement is a little out of the ordinary and just asking for trouble considering it isn't really an urgent need, but maybe I've just lost confidence in them and am a little paranoid.

kerrton

I need some outside perspective, 5 attemts to fix my steering wheel creak, the noise and friction/rubbing feeling when I turn the steering wheel is just as bad as ever. I have 3 months left on my comprehensive 3-yr warranty.

If it were you, would you just let the issue go and live with it, or would you ask the dealer to try to address it for a 6th time? I am convinced that they are applying the proper fix - replace clock spring, however there is somethign that must be out of spec in with the steering column and/or mounting surface for the clock spring that is causing this part to repeatedly fail, so to properly fix this they may need to look at the entire steering column.

If this was a superficial/cosmetic issue I'd just give up and let it go, but this is actually a mechanical part that is making noise and if it fails all of the electronics in the steering wheel including communication with the air bag and cruise control will also fail. It is about $400 parts and labour repair which I also don't want to have to pay for on my own later on, but perhaps this thing will work for 10+ years with no trouble other than the noise.

I respect all of your opinions and will probably base my decision largely on any feedback I receive...thanks a lot.

K2Miller
Car: 06 Altima SER

Hi,
I found this thread and thought I'd share what I did to my '06 Alima. I set the telescope position all the way out. Then removed the plastic steering wheel column cover (3 screws on bottom). After removing the cover, I noticed a universal joint which allows the wheel to tilt. I lubed that joint with some white lightening grease and the creaking went away. I put column back to together and the whole process took 10 minutes. I just did this today, so not sure about the longevity. Might be worth trying if you're like me and the creak drives you crazy!!!

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

im going to tackle this job this weekend. i too have this issue and only when its cold.
i first thought it was the straight cut gears in the electronic steering system right below the steering system - but then only when it happens when cold!?(could the gear lube inside the system be hard and not lubing the gears right?)

its certainly not a plastic, rubber being rubbed - its gears. like a ratchet wrench(just more bass and less high pitched ratchet sound)

i did notice the manual state: "You may hear a fricative sound when the steering wheel is operated quickly. However, this is not a malfunction."

i think our issue is coming from this system: electronic steering system

you can see how this system works to limit your over-steering

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Gear grease is funny. its not liquid, but it does have viscosity as well, so the colder it gets, the harder it gets and doesn't want to move. it gets stubborn. - the warmer it is = the more flexible it is, and the more it coats and circulates.

i think the builders that built our cars didn't add enough of the lube(or just a fraction not enough) and we are getting teeth chatter from the gears. i dont see it becoming an issue; i just wish they would address it and stop wasting peoples time on clock-springs and other silly "repairs". Clock springs wont chatter, they will make a shuffle sound that never ends as the ribbon cables slide along the contact points to keep constant contact to the electrical signal/power.
Our issue is a distinct chatter that has a sound pattern of _-_-_-_-_-_-_ or click-click-click-click-click-click-

Jostudly

Okay so did you fix the noise? I have had the dealer lube under the steering colunm 3 x now and still hear the noise. Is there something I can try myself. I can hear it when I turn the wheel when backing out of a parking spot or turning quickly.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Jostudly wrote:Okay so did you fix the noise? I have had the dealer lube under the steering colunm 3 x now and still hear the noise. Is there something I can try myself. I can hear it when I turn the wheel when backing out of a parking spot or turning quickly.
its 50-60 degrees in my area = no sound to find lol.

K2Miller
Car: 06 Altima SER

It is something you can do yourself, but I still hear the noise a little. Going to make a another attempt. Will post back...

kerrton

I am interested to know if lubricating the gears indicated in ImStricken's image has any effect. I've had my clock spring replaced 3 times and each time the noise disappeared and I was happy for a short time and the wheel seemed to turn slightly easier, but perhaps they also added some lubrication to the steering gears at the same time and didn't let me know. Something just doesn't add up, I even had a tech mention to me one time with certainty that it was definately the clock spring making the noise, and after replacing it the noise would definately return. I remember saying "What??!! Why??! What is the logic behind that, i.e. what is the real cause of the problem, what is causing the clock spring to repeatedly fail?" He seemed to proud of his statement that the clock spring would fail again, but failed to see the next logical step which would be to dig deeper and figure out why the clock springs keep failing, or take a step back and ask if perhaps the problem is not related to the clock spring at all, like ImStricken has suggested.

Anyway I've gotten used to this little quirk of the past couple years so am not overly concerned any more but if there is a component lacking lubrication I'd sure like to get the issue to address and eliminate excessive wear. My advice to any one else having this problem is, go ahead and let the dealer replace your clock spring, air bag, and steering wheel on warranty if you want to give it a try and they're willing, but if you are out of warranty and considering paying for this yourself, save your money because you'll probably be disappointed in a few weeks and your $3 to $400 could be wasted.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kerrton wrote:I am interested to know if lubricating the gears indicated in ImStricken's image has any effect. I've had my clock spring replaced 3 times and each time the noise disappeared and I was happy for a short time and the wheel seemed to turn slightly easier, but perhaps they also added some lubrication to the steering gears at the same time and didn't let me know. Something just doesn't add up, I even had a tech mention to me one time with certainty that it was definately the clock spring making the noise, and after replacing it the noise would definately return. I remember saying "What??!! Why??! What is the logic behind that, i.e. what is the real cause of the problem, what is causing the clock spring to repeatedly fail?" He seemed to proud of his statement that the clock spring would fail again, but failed to see the next logical step which would be to dig deeper and figure out why the clock springs keep failing, or take a step back and ask if perhaps the problem is not related to the clock spring at all, like ImStricken has suggested.

Anyway I've gotten used to this little quirk of the past couple years so am not overly concerned any more but if there is a component lacking lubrication I'd sure like to get the issue to address and eliminate excessive wear. My advice to any one else having this problem is, go ahead and let the dealer replace your clock spring, air bag, and steering wheel on warranty if you want to give it a try and they're willing, but if you are out of warranty and considering paying for this yourself, save your money because you'll probably be disappointed in a few weeks and your $3 to $400 could be wasted.
those gears would be metal, and the amount of movement the steering wheel makes, wearing would be absolutely a NONE issue. the noise is exactly why engineers have developed HELICAL gears back in the day to reduce the 'chatter' gears make when they come into contact with on another. this particular setup doesnt have any helical gears and instead has a WORM GEAR setup that can chatter. i really wouldn't care if this wasnt a thread on here. i kinda wanna find a fix for everyone else on here. it really stopped bothering me. as long as the system itself doesnt fail due to electrical issues, the chatter isnt a problem at all. i think nissan realized the gears might chatter and thats why they wrote in the manual that slight noises when turning the steering wheel fast is normal. and its normal for noise once housed in a case to become even louder when operating. i think this is centered in the system im talking about and not the clock-spring. the clock spring would make a SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH type noise, while the noise MY car experiences sounds more like a ratchet.
and that makes sense because clock-springs have a continuous drag, while gears carrying load place the load onto the next tooth with a "tick" noise.

dinof
Car: 2009 Rogue S

Hey Yall,

It's been 7 years since anyone's posted on this topic. I'm here to revive it haha!

I'm wondering if anyone's issue was ever solved? I have a 2009 Rogue S and the creak sounds like a creaky wooden floor. I only hear it inside the vehicle and when I'm turning the wheel with a load, so when I'm at low speed and more than half way turned.

I'm in TN so it's always hot too. Wonder if any solutions were found.
I uploaded a video on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/f4rDtyxx3ok
Thanks,
D

Return to “Rogue Forum”