Creaking from the convertible top.......Annoying!!!

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
mtbkr1030
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue

Has anyone else had this problem? I brought mine in because of the groaning, creaking coming from my convertible top and they did the" felt fix" to try and quiet it up, but after 1 hour it's creaking even worse now. Please let me know if you are experiencing this. It sounds like I'm driving a used 100K car at the moment. I'm a LOT pissed off right now! :mad: Very annoying. I am NOT going to be able to look past this annoyance.

I will keep you updated.

cereal2k
Car: 2009 G37S Convertible,2003 G35 Sedan

Creaking when driving? or when in opweration and are you driving over rough surfaces if this is when it occurs? I've an 09 and I do hear a creaking when on a dirt road with minor surface unevenness. The hard tops will have some sound on them with the top up but I can see where it can be annoying. I've not come across this on normal flat road surfaces.

mtbkr1030

It happens when I drive between 18 and 38mph on smooth roads, actually it's worse on smooth roads!. The whole top creaks like an old wooden ship. The dealer tried to fix it with felt inserts, but that didn't help at all. It's still at the dealer and they are trying to order some parts from the factory. We'll see if that helps. Not sure what all they are going to try and replace. Very annoying and very disappointed with it at this point. It's been at the shop for a total of 7 days since I purchased it at the end of last month. All I want is a car that sounds like a 50k luxury car, not a Chrysler Sebring. :frown:

Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

I've had my convertible for almost a year now... and I hear my fair share of rattles and creaks with the top up. Do you have the Sport package? I do, and there is plenty of road noise and the ride is a bit rougher, but that is to be expected with the stiffer suspension, the 19 inch summer tires, etc. I hear the rattles most often on rougher roads with potholes, etc. I have not experienced the rattles/creaks on smooth roads. Hopefully you can get yours figured out.

I don't think the car was designed to be whisper quiet. And with the retractable roof resting in place, there is bound to be some noise. I never owned another hard-top convertible before so I can't compare it to other brands. Its a brand new concept for Infiniti (I don't believe they changed anything with the mechanism between 09 and 10) and it's clear they haven't perfected it.

mtbkr1030

I picked up my car for the 3rd time and I almost got off the lot CREAK FREE but then it started creaking, rattling even more than when I dropped it off. I was told that they put MORE felt inserts in it, actually they said they had 2 other convertibles that day that had felt put in them to quiet them up. I went for a ride with the QC Guy and he sat in the back seat and noted the rattle. So I was sent off again with another loaner car until my car was FIXED. About an hour later I was called and told that they were NOT going to do anything further to my car and that the Factory rep said that it was an ACCEPTABLE creak and rattle and as far as he was concerned the case was closed.

I ran back to the dealer and demanded to drive another convertible to compare with mine and it was as QUIET as a church mouse. I then spoke to the Service manager and she thought there was nothing else that could be done and that I would have to live with it. I told her-I DON'T think so! Of course the Gen Mgr and Asst gen Mgr were gone for the day already. I told the Svc mgr to have both of them call me upon their return.

I then received a call after getting home saying that the Factory Rep would be in on Friday and to drop the car off AGAIN and he will look at it, maybe not to fix it, but to at least document the issue AGAIN.

I will keep you updated......................GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! :mad: :whistle: :wtf2: :gotme

mtbkr1030

2 days later and it's worse than ever now. I just got done taking the Gen Mgr for a test ride and she heard the creaks, groans, rattles and she will see what can be done to 'FIX" the car. Very, very disappointed with my Infiniti. I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier truck and have NEVER had a problem with it and it has 90k on it now. I thought their luxury division would be even better, not so sure now............... :wtf2: :mad:

cereal2k
Car: 2009 G37S Convertible,2003 G35 Sedan

Wow, something is horribly wrong. Please let us know how this goes.

mtbkr1030

I just got my car back again for the 3rd or is it the 4th time to have the creaking and rattling fixed and after 5 hours it's back. They had the car this time for 10 days and it still isn't fixed. They lubed all the joints and took out all the previous felt inserts that were put in on the 1st 2 prior visits and re-installed them AGAIN. I was told by the Svc Mgr that mine is the second car that week that had the same problem and now they are contacting Infiniti again to have another Factory Rep come out and look at it AGAIN. I'm getting very frustrated at this point. This is my second Nissan product and it's supposed to be a LUXURY vehicle, but it's creaking like a Chrysler K car!!!!!!!!! My other vehicle is a 2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo Edition with 95K on it and it's PERFECT still. Any suggestions from anyone about what my next step should be?

I'm starting to smell a LEMON!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :cry: :cry: :cry: :wtf2: :wtf2: :wtf2:

foxwiz
Car: 2010 G37 Convertible Tech/Nav, Black on Black

After 5 times, you will certainly have a lemon and if u contact a decent lemon law attorney, Nissan will purchase your car back. The process can take 6 months.

mtbkr1030

That's my next step. I have kept a history of all my contacts with Infiniti up to now. I will keep you updated. The whole top is now involved. It creaks, moans, groans at all speeds. It doesn't matter if it's a smooth or bumpy road. :mad: :ohno:

Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

Yeah, that's a bit more noise than I get. I get plenty of rattles and when I hit bumps in the road and potholes, etc. but over smooth roads I don't hear it. I can hear creaks when I take hard corners or turn up into driveways. All my noise is coming from the back of the car, like the rear window panel area, and I don't hear any noise from the front (first) panel. I have learned to live with noises up to this point.... but to hear it ALL the time on ANY road surface... something is up.... good luck man! Keep us posted.

mtbkr1030

Well, maybe they fixed it. I brought the car in and took a test ride with another Infiniti engineer and he was able to hopefully isolate the creaking. They re-aligned where the pins lock down the top and so far, keep my fingers crossed it seems to have worked. I will keep everyone posted. I ran into another guy who had just purchased his car from the same dealer and he's noticed a few creaks and groans also. He said the rubber bushing that are on the locking pins for the roof keep falling out.
Otherwise he's had no other problems.

I'll keep you posted.

mtbkr1030

It's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

mtbkr1030

Spent the last week and most of this week calling Infiniti Consumer Affairs and they finally returned my call. They are looking into my car AGAIN and will get back to me on Thursday.....................I have also called the owner of Infiniti of TO and he never returned my call either. I have the feeling this is going to get UGLY. really UGLY! :mad: :wtf2:

foxwiz

It doesn't need to get ugly. I just went through an ordeal with the Lexus IS 250C I purchased almost 1 year ago. There were major rattles in the top. Took it in and they "moved" the rattle from top to side. Took it in again and misaligned the top. Took it back 3 more times, they still couldn't fix the damn vehicle. The last time they had the car, they had it 8 days and even had a service tech lay in the trunk while they drove around town to try and figure out how to fix my car.

To make a long story short, I contacted one of the top Lemon Law firms here in Southern California and they worked their magic. It took 6 months but a couple of weeks ago, Toyota purchased my vehicle back. I then went out and bought a G37 which is great! No rattles in the roof, car purrs like a kitten. I am now a happy camper, but sorry to hear about your issues. If they truly can't fix your car then there is no reason to keep it.

Make sure to keep all service records with each visit to the dealer.

mtbkr1030

:facepalm:
Last edited by mtbkr1030 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mtbkr1030

Can you tell me the name of the law firm you used?

I have all my records and a diary of every phone call, visit, etc....that I had with everyone at Infiniti.

foxwiz

I am in Southern California and I used a firm called Krohn & Moss. One of the biggest firms to handle Lemon Law vehicles. I just received the payout from Toyota yesterday and now that money goes towards my G37 C. Do a GOOGLE search and you will find them. Good luck and keep us posted.

mtbkr1030

:eek:
Last edited by mtbkr1030 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

Sorry to hear that you had so many issues. I know it has been a struggle but ultimately Infiniti accepted responsibility for the problems.
Good luck with your next car.
-B

mtbkr1030

Thanks!

foxwiz

What happened to your text?

stormybw
Car: G37 Convertible

What about gouges in the roof???

I have had repeated, attempted repairs to the roof where the roof is gouged by something. One service tech indicated this happened because I left the roof down for an extended time. When this happens, he claims, the hydraulics lose some pressure and the brackets lower and gouge the roof.

Last repair left a section of the roof (apparently where taped for paint) unpainted but they succeeded in getting paint on the seal between the roof panels. Aarrrrrgh!!!

Now has to have 5th repair. I am finished with Infiniti and have asked them to replace the car.

Anyone else having roof issues like this???

Thanks!

mtbkr1030

Bought back through the Lemon Law..........................Bought a 20111 BMW 328i and I have NEVER been happier. Finally I have a LUXURY Car.

Goodbye Infiniti :sad: :dblthumb: :woot: :inoutgay:

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

Hope you'll live happy now on...gone with the wind...

foxwiz

mtbkr1030 wrote:Bought back through the Lemon Law..........................Bought a 20111 BMW 328i and I have NEVER been happier. Finally I have a LUXURY Car.

Goodbye Infiniti :sad: :dblthumb: :woot: :inoutgay:
I recently had my Lexus vert purchased back by Toyota and the company that handles the buy-backs said that BMW was the most Lemon-lawed vehicle out there. Take a look at the BMW forums and you will see the problems with them. Lots of electrical issues.

I now have an Infiniti vert and it creeks a bit but so do all verts!

Should have done your homework!

drivefast
Car: G37S convertible

hmm, interesting. so you had this whole ordeal with infiniti of TO, while pretty much at the same time, maybe a month later, i was trying to convince THE SAME DEALERSHIP that i have all sorts of noises coming from the back seats / convertible top area. they kept telling me that this is the first time hey are confronted with such an issue, and i had to take the car to them 4 or 5 times. there was some improvement on my car, i must admit that, but with the top up i still hear a rubber-on-metal squeak noise. anyways, man, good riddance, enjoy your new car :)

cmesurf

Lubricate the rubber seals between each of the roof panels with 3M Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type), 08897 spray applied via a microfiber cloth. Viola - no more squeak!
Use 3M Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type), 08897, I have used this on my car it works great.
3M Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type), 08897 is a high quality silicone lubricant which eliminates rubber squeaks, prevents sticking and seals out moisture. This product contains no petroleum oils to stain fabrics and will not freeze at -28 degrees F nor degrade at +350 degrees F.

drivefast
Car: G37S convertible

thanks, man, i will recommend these to my dealer :) :) seriously, not trying to be rude, i understand lots of people on this forum would simply go ahead and work and fix their own car. great for them, i wish i would be one. but i also think there's a good number of guys that would think greasing a luxury car should be somebody else's job, and would rather remember next time and buy a luxury car from another manufacturer.

cmesurf

drivefast wrote:thanks, man, i will recommend these to my dealer :) :) seriously, not trying to be rude, i understand lots of people on this forum would simply go ahead and work and fix their own car. great for them, i wish i would be one. but i also think there's a good number of guys that would think greasing a luxury car should be somebody else's job, and would rather remember next time and buy a luxury car from another manufacturer.
Also remember convertibles from any manufacturers will have rubber seals between the panels....and will need dry lubrication sooner or later. Who does it makes no difference.
Even Rolls convertible squeaks with it's roof up....
Dealer probably already knows about this...

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”