Coolant / Transmission Flush Intervals? - 2009 Versa 1.6 @ 32k Miles

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
ZzBloopzZ
Car: 09 Versa 1.6 Base (Automatic)

Hello,

My GF has a 2009 Versa Automatic 1.6 (Non CVT). She just hit ~32k miles. Her commute used to be 30 minutes a day but now is 1.5-2 hours a day. We just want the car to last. She is on a very tight med school budget, so want to do maintenance only if it is highly recommended.

She gets her oil changed every 3500 miles religiously at 2 different Nissan dealerships, which do a free 25 multi point inspection every time. They have never mentioned anything about changing the coolant or transmission fluid. Several months ago one dealership said the drive belts needed to be replaced immediately due to cracks, but then she took it to the other dealership and they were confused, because the drive belts were totally fine. GF had two different mechanics check at the second dealership due just in case.

However, I am confused about the service manual.

Engine Coolant:

- For Schedule 1/2, it states to change engine coolant at 60k miles / 48 months.
- For Premium, it states to change engine coolant at 30k miles / 24 months.

Automatic Transmission:

- For Schedule 1/2, I do not see anything for replacing/flushing automatic transmission fluid.
- For Premium, it states to replace transmission fluid at 30k miles / 24 months.

Since the car is a 2009, which is roughly ~6-7 years old. What do you guys think I should do? Does age really degrade for coolant or transmission fluids?

Also, is it recommended to get the service done at a Nissan dealership or can I take it to a trusted mechanic?

Thank You!

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

Since your car isn't under warranty, I see no reason to pay dealership prices for maintanance work. Find a mechanic you can trust (ask your friends, car aficianados, etc.). Heck, he can do the oil change and the "25 point checklist" for a lot less than what you pay a dealer. But it's a good idea to be familiar with the specs for the various fluids in your car, so that you can make sure it's getting the right stuff. I know it can be a crapshoot. You may want to learn to do some of the basic things yourself, like an oil change or a radiator/coolant flush. They're pretty easy, but you may have to invest in some basic tools. Learning how to identify a worn or loose belt is also pretty easy. There are tons of youtube videos on that and just about any other subject vis a vis car maintanance.

Transmission fluid breaks down under heat and pressure over time, plus it collects particulate matter (metal shavings) that are unfriendly to a tranny's operation. Keep an eye on the color of the fluid. If it is pink and clear, probably ok. If it is brown and/or muddy or cloudy, those are signs of the fluid breaking down, and it's time to consider changing. I have owned cars where the manual recommended changing the fluid every 30K miles, but I owned a Kia Rio with 60K miles on it where the fluid looked great, and the tranny was smooth as a baby's butt. I probably wouldn't push the envelope past that, though. Transmissions are important and expensive to fix/replace. (one of the reasons I prefer manual trannys now).

There are those who advocate a simple drain and refill, and others who advocate drain, flush, and refill. Somebody in this forum will pipe up on one side or the other, and probably we will both end up confused. But, at the very least, drain and refill before 60K miles are up is the safe bet.

Consider yourself schedule 1/2, judging from the car's use.

I am hoping one of our very knowledgable experts chimes in to help you better than I can.

Happy driving!

Return to “Versa General Chat”