Coolant not draining through petcock

All things Altima Coupe.
Ta500004
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima SE

Please help... My car is not overheating and my coolant is always filled without losing any. Yet there is something I'm very confused about. When I open the petcock under the engine, nothing flows out at all. There is a white substance that I see when I take off the petcock, it seems to be a little bit thick and I tried putting my finger inside to maybe loosen up to let the coolant flow but nothing comes out at all. I opened my radiator cap from the top and I tried putting a water hose inside and turning it on but the water hose pops back out from the force. The strange thing is I don't have any type of overheat in my coolant seems to be doing its job, but how can I flush out the old coolant if it won't drain out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You could try poking a small screwdriver or cut coathanger up there instead of a finger, old gunk tends to settle to the bottom of the tanks and it doesn't take much to form a plug in the draincock passage. If all else fails you can drain the system by temporarily disconnecting the lower radiator hose instead of using the drain plug.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO!

Sorry to hear that your car is having trouble. While I can appreciate that you'd like to get this issue resolved quickly, please understand that cross-posting (i.e. posting the same message in more than one forum board) is frowned upon. It's confusing and often counterproductive. Duplicate post has been deleted.

In the meantime, we have Factory Service Manuals available free to members. Take a look at the link in my signature and find the FSM for your car and you'll have all the info you'll ever need to make the repair and try to diagnose it for yourself while help is on the way.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”