Coolant for M37x

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
sk8koolkat
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x

Does anyone know which exact coolant the M37x uses and where can I find it other than the dealership?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

IMO you can use any of the big three coolants (toyota = red, honda = blue, nissan = green, IIRC). They are all the same formula. Back in my Maxima.org days, everyone used Toyota Red as it was the cheapest of the three. This was back in like 2009 though...might want to reconfirm that information.

cliffyk
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 w/ "Premium" package

Walmart's SuperTech Extended Life antifreeze/coolant is certified to meet all new car specs and be miscible with any other color or brand--it is made by Old World Industries (they make the Peak brand coolant) ,here is the MSDS.

We used it in my wife's 2003 HIghlander for 200k+ miles, and in my 1998 Mercedes SL500 for a couple years--I would not hesitate to load up my M37 with it...

Here is the MSDS for NIssan's "blue" (recommended per the M37 OM)--it is made by CCI Manufacturing; same ingredients as the Walmart stuff...

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

If you have the Nissan Blue, use one of the Asian Blue coolants that list Nissan as a compatible fluid. There are a lot of coolants that can be mixed. But if you get it wrong they can gel and clog every passage in the cooling system. If that happens you would be looking at several thousands to repair.

Coolant isn't expensive, even from the dealer. Around $22 or less.

I don't get why people buy a premium vehicle and then absolutely cheap out as much as they can on repairs and maintenance. BMW owners are the worst. Go to TireRack and look at the cheapest Chinese off brand tires and the majority or reviews are from BMW owners......smh.

cliffyk

For me (retired, fixed income and all that crap) it's an issue of not spending money foolishly, to buy the same product at a significantly marked up price--Walmart's extended life coolant (same chemical composition as NIssan's, just a different color) is $9.88 a gallon...

satown210

Yes but if it turns out it isn't compatible you will ruin the cooling system and possibly the engine when it overheats. Or you spend $5 more and get the Zerex Blue. If you just need to top it off Walmart sells the Prestone Blue compatible with NIssan for $7.00 for 1/2 gallon. We are not talking several dollars difference to know you have the right stuff. I see people spend more all the time after trying to do things the cheapest way possible. Do it once and do it right. Also since when it walmart known for quality....

Kprad12
Car: Infiniti M37

I did my coolant flush a while ago I went to a Nissan dealership and purchased the oem coolant. I think you could probably get away with the equivalent auto zone/ Walmart fluid. I changed mine at around 65,000 and it came out looking brand new.

satown210

With aluminum engines and radiators, the coolant stays looking new. It doesn't rust like it used to with iron blocks and heads. The problem is the pH of the coolant changes as it ages and turns acidic. Over time that will cause heater core leaks, water pump failures etc.

EdBwoy

sk8koolkat wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:06 am
Does anyone know which exact coolant the M37x uses and where can I find it other than the dealership?
999MP-AF000P is the part # for the green coolant.
Usually NOT diluted. Mix with distilled water in a 50/50 ratio before use.
999MP-L25500P is the part # for the blue coolant.
Usually prediluted. Just use in the car straight out of the jug.
999MP-L255QTP is also blue.
Confusingly called a concentrate but the jug says you shouldn't mix with water. It also states "dealer use only". It'd be best to avoid this one.

I have used the green Prestone product (AutoZone, Wal-Mart etc) in the past with good outcomes, and wouldn't hesitate to use it in the M56 in a pinch.
However, you asked for the exact coolant and what I'd do is type that part number above in Google and try to find it on Amazon or eBay. Your car should have the blue coolant. I wish I knew where to get the blue Nissan stuff as a concentrate to save some money.

cliffyk

At one time (15-20 years back) the color of engine coolant was relevant however all it does now is identify the maker/brand--all commonly available non-premix AF/coolant have pretty much the same chemical formulation:

• 90-97% ethylene glycol;
  • 2-5% diethelene glycol;
  • 2-5% othe proprietary stuff (various isotonic and aqueous additives including colorizers);
Pre-mix coolants will have half as much of each of the above listed components and be 50% water. Look up the SDS/MSDS (Safety Data Sheet/Material Safety Data Sheet) for each to see for yourself.

As they are--and have been for some time pretty much the same thing--the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt), and cautionary tales of "mixing" brands/colors of coolant are just urban legends that don't seem to die. MIxing contemporary coolants, regardless of color, will not cause issues with precipitations or gel formation. Check the label to see if it states it "will mix with any color antifreeze/coolant." and "Works with all makes and models" (most all do) and have a good night's sleep...

cliffyk

In the interest of full disclosure I have to state that chemical engineering was my minor, and I didn't get great grades as it bored me to tears...

satown210

Not urban legend. Seen it happen a few times. Mainly involves dex-cool. But it does happen.

You also didn't mention the main three differnt sciences the coolants use: There are three main types of coolant that car companies use: Inorganic Additive Technology (IAT), Organic Acid Technology (OAT), and Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT).

cliffyk

Yeah, Dexcool and all the HOAT ( Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) coolants some makers jumped on were steaming piles of crap promising longer service life, but that ended up with GM¹ and other makers getting sued (class action filed in September 2009 and settled in October, 2008²).

The good news is that the auto industry has settled in on ethylene/diethylene glycol (OAT, Organic Acid Technology) coolants, that are pretty much the same--they are bad for older engines with "yellow" metal (brass/copper) components--but great for long-life (5+ years) in modern systems without yellow metal radiators ans heater cores...

--------------------------------------------
¹ - GM, like Chrysler, was and is a cluster-f***--bailed out by taxpayers (Chrysler was bailed out twice in my life, on my dimes.
²- So I will revise my earlier 15-20 year reference and make it 10+ years.

cliffyk

Also--Dexcool has nothing to do with an Infiniti M37, or for that matter any Japanese car (except maybe for some crap-box "captive import" I am unaware of)?

satown210

I am saying that mixing coolants can lead to disaster. I never said Infiniti used Dexcool. This thread has people saying you can mix xxx with xx and be fine. What I am getting at is some combos are okay. Some are not. It's not worth a few bucks to go down a road that could lead to $$$$ in repairs.

Prestone and Zerex both make Blue Asian coolants compatible with Nissan / Infiniti that can be had for under $20.00. I stick with the stuff that specifically lists Nissan as a compatible coolant. I also stick with blue. I do that so I have a visual reference too with the coolant. I know what color it is supposed to be so just another preventative measure to know if something has gone wrong.

EdBwoy

It would be really helpful if OP came back and clarified what he/she was looking for.

I might have misinterpreted the question. To me it sounded like "I want the exact OEM coolant like the dealership uses, but I don't want their prices."

I think going for the technical info is a good tool to arm ourselves with, but a majority of car drivers do not get that deep into the specifics. Most people refer to coolant as Nissan Blue, Honda Pink etc... and including Dex-Cool.

Technically you can use/mix in any chemically agreeable non-silicate coolant. And you can also mix Nissan green with Nissan Blue with no ill effects. All it does is "dilute" the properties of the whole system to be of the "inferior" coolant. Life expectancy stuff.
But what happens if I take my car in for a repair to a mom n pop shop in town and the technician sees what looks like pinkish orange fluid and grabs a jug of Dex to refill? Or does the technician then attempt to drain and flush the system and put in Prestone, Zerex or OEM coolant? Should he/she spend time testing it first?

I think it also depends on time availability to do research and how comfortable you are with change/uncertainty.

Talking Dollars & sense
The V6 takes around 10 quarts, the V8 12 quarts. That's when the system is completely empty. It's not typical to completely drain the system for maintenance, but let's use those numbers for calculation.
From Amazon with free shipping, the OEM premixed blue stuff is $23 per gallon while Prestone is $20 per gallon. That's a difference of $9 when you buy 3 jugs/12 quarts.
If the coolants in the market are all the same, my personal choice is to splurge on the $9 to get the jug that has been sprinkled with Nissan's blessing.
Then consider how often this service has to be done.

Also note these engine might be called "aluminum" but have other-metal components in contact with the coolant as well as cylinder liners that aren't aluminum. I have handled spent coolant and it looks, feels and smells different to me...depending on age.

I have used Prestone when I lived in an area where the nearest Nissan dealership was over an hour away. Sometimes I still use it for certain convenience reasons, but I wasn't going to push OP in any one direction since I thought the original question was pretty specific in intent.

Kprad12
Car: Infiniti M37

satown210 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:51 pm
With aluminum engines and radiators, the coolant stays looking new. It doesn't rust like it used to with iron blocks and heads. The problem is the pH of the coolant changes as it ages and turns acidic. Over time that will cause heater core leaks, water pump failures etc.
Huh learned something new today thanks :)

sk8koolkat
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x

Thank you all for your help, this was very helpful.

EdBwoy

I saw it fit to follow up and put my thoughts in the form of a PSA... with pictures for support.
https://forums.nicoclub.com/should-you- ... 22612.html

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”