Converting XM to Sirius

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

ImStricken wrote:are they not the same thing now a days?
Sort of... Here's what I could track down in way of explaination. Most info online is very dated (pre2010). They both have some of the same channels but also have different packages. Sports channels for instance are split up. What they do now is offer (for extra $ of course) the best of series from the other. If you have XM with the best of Sirius added, you almost get everything from both. You can do the same the other way around.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/sa ... o-comp.htm
The companies proposed to merge in February 2007, and after more than a year of lobbying, debating and numerous filings, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approved the merger on July 25, 2008. Like equal parts Pepsi and Coke, the companies have combined their business operations to form SiriusXM Radio, the only satellite radio service consumers in the United States can access.

There are still subtle differences between XM and Sirius, and despite talk of a universal radio that can access a la carte packages, for the moment you still have to decide between one or the other, and the type of service you choose makes a difference. Each company has their own phalanx of celebrities -- for example, if you're a Bob Dylan fan, you'd probably go with XM; if you want cooking tips from Martha Stewart during your drive, you're better off with Sirius. The sports coverage you enjoy could also affect which satellite service you prefer, as XM and Sirius ally themselves with completely different sports. The closer you look at each service, the more variety you might see.

(Not very current, but gives a general idea)
XM has 90+ streams of music that have:
CD-quality sound
A wide variety of music genre's covered (Rock, Reggae, etc.)
A depth of music selection, within each genre.
Commercials: XM's 90 music streams now run Mostly run Commercial Free.
Re-broadcasting: XM only rebroadcasts Clear Channel content on their 4 most popular Music Channels and continues to maintain a business relationship with Clear Channel

Sirius has 80+ streams of music that have:
CD-quality sound
A wide variety of music genre's covered (Rock, Reggae, etc.)
A depth of music selection, within each genre.
Commercials: All 80 Sirius music streams are commercial-free.
Re-broadcasting: Sirius does not run program loops or rebroadcast of other radio stations. All of its music programming is completely original and is produced in-house by stream jockeys who live and breathe the music they spin.

mfaki
Car: Infinity Q60

I recently purchased a 2014 infinity Q60 and need to find a way to convert the xm factory in dash radio to sirius. Is this even possible?
The XM signal is terrible where I live and have another vehicle with sirius and if works wonderfully.

philnh
Car: infiniti g37x

mfaki wrote:I recently purchased a 2014 infinity Q60 and need to find a way to convert the xm factory in dash radio to sirius. Is this even possible?
The XM signal is terrible where I live and have another vehicle with sirius and if works wonderfully.
Most say they are the same--- they are not! The XM satellites are geosync over the equator and not optimal for northern users. The Sirius satellite is in an inclined orbit over the central US and more well placed for those of us who live in the NE where trees and hills also live. my 2010 infiniti is XM only so service is spotty unless I am driving in fairly flat open terrain.

I would like to know if it is possible to retro fit my radio

Return to “Rogue Forum”