Consult II - Emulator - NISSAN/INFINITI DIAGNOSTIC TOOL

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
cruzad3r
Car: 2006 M35x fully loaded

so guys, i'm looking for some diagnostic tool to troubleshoot, mod, tune the M-series. more specifically, i want to have the same capability as an Infiniti/Nissan tech in term of using their COnsult II and any other Computer Diagnostic tool on the car. i want to do some of these troubleshooting using Consult II as described on the Service Manual. so aside from Uprev, their cable allows you to monitor, flash the ECU but not really doing any type of extensive troubleshooting hence i want to explore any other alternative from the market such as Consult II emulator. You can see them here

http://www.techdiag.co.uk/obdscantech/web/home.html

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.shtml

Now does anyone here have any experience with anything related to Consult emulator? as an enthusiast, i would like to have the ability to troubleshoot my car as much as i can before bringing it to a Professional. For some cases, I myself consider think that some dealers are pretty clueless and they just start throwing parts at it rather than trying to get to the root cause. Therefore, i rather fix it myself unless it's totally out of my control.

anyway, let me know what you guys think. let this be a good debate and a collection of good info on how to diagnose and troubleshoot our M-series.

jesustorres85
Car: 2003 SILVER M45 20 INCH FX45 RIMS FULL LED BULB SWAP

i think that if you could make this happen i would love to follow your steps on getting these diag tools. im pretty car savvy (no pro) and i dont see what is so special about these dealers. they charge way to damn much! (IMO)

jhuerto23
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

I'm up for anything that saves me money and a plus if I don't have to give the stealership my hard earned money. Keep us updated.

cruzad3r

i was hoping this to be a group effort not just mine. let this be a collective post of great information on nissan/infiniti diagnostic tool. more specifically tools that can perform almost all the things that a COnsult II (cost over 3g $$$) can do.

for the german world, we have VagCOm which is as close as you can get to the official tool that dealers are using. i'm hoping to get something like that for the JDM world.

sebvox
Car: 1995 Q45 **R.I.P.** 2003 M45

I bought the one from www blaZt dot biz back when I had OBD I with my 1995 Q45. Now that I have the 2003 M45, I bought the OBD II cable and software again and couldn't be happier. $120 for software and cable has been totally worth it. This software is developed specifically for Nissan/Infiniti. Check out the website, I highly recommend it.

NTEC
Car: 85 Sentra, 85 720 kc, 89 d21, 04 Titan, 08 Titan Pro-4x

Take a look at http://www.Autoenginuity.com .The software with the CAN adapter will let you access almost everything on the vehicle. I have a Consult 2 and 3 and it will let you do every thing they will do except program keys and tires, but they said tire programing is coming. I don't remember what it cost, I think it, with the Nissan expansion pack cost in the neighborhood of 350 to 400 dollars.

cruzad3r

ntec, i'm intereseted in learning more from you on these OBDII scan/software and the true Consult 2/3. can you go more indepth about the pro/cons. specifically, if i was to open up the FSM and following the procedure to say diagnose ICC or LDW; will the software that you recommend work?

secondly, how much is the CAN adapter and the software together? Is there any specific type of CAN adapter you suggest that will work best?

sebvox- can you post more info on your scanner, i think you can post the link to the website on here. again i don't think mod will have an issue with us collectively gather all pertinent info for the Nissan/Infiniti diagnostic tools on here.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I'm subscribed,

I'd love to find a cheap alternative to the CIII I covet. This software looks like it might have some capabilities but I doubt they would be able to fully match the abilities of either Consult. If one of the companies sends me a product I will be more than happy to test the software and capabilities but I am not putting my cash out for it.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

I'm subscribed,

I'd love to find a cheap alternative to the CIII I want so I don't have to share with my coworkers. This software looks like it might have some capabilities but I doubt they would be able to fully match the abilities of either Consult. If one of the companies sends me a product I will be more than happy to test the software and capabilities but I am not putting my cash out for it.

cruzad3r

does anyone have anything else that they want to add to this thread? can people who replied add more information as requested? thanks

sebvox
Car: 1995 Q45 **R.I.P.** 2003 M45

This is the website for the Nissan DataScan II v1.4 Software and OBDII Cable that I have been using. The compatability list is not complete, but it will work with all the Infiniti's. I did have problem with it not working on a 2000 Q45.
http://www.blazt.biz/

cruzad3r

thank you sir, let me do some investigating on the software and report back

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

That appears to be a decent engine monitor but it makes no mention of body control function or systems like Active Headlight, ADP, 4was. There is a box attached to our ConsultII it is referred to as the CII converter and no one really knows what it does or while it is used on all 2001.5+ Nissan and Infinitis, as we all know that was right around the CAN became more active.

The DLC is actually on both the high and low network as a passive device, when the Consult is connected it allows us to see what is on the CAN network. Almost all the information received by all of the computers in the car is transmitted over the can network, but none of the other companies have deciphered it yet. If you notice the common theme among these devices is the price point. If you are serious you can get something like the Snap On Modis.

It is funny for years most techs were gear heads, now you really need to know far more Networking and IT related things (as noted in several of the newer model threads and the EX forum ). I try to keep on top of many of these topics but it a an excessive in futility. This really makes for a huge group of my colleagues who are getting left behind, by cars like the M56 and new QX.

One of the things I have to note is that after relying on my after market scanner for minor diagnostics since my shop CII is out for service. The data stream rate of most J protocol software devices is far to slow to make a decisive diagnosis is impossible and you will end up guessing basically.

For most engine diagnostics a DMM or oscilloscope are the way to go. The majority of owners would benefit from a little training and a DMM. Everyone blows fuses in a new meter, so buy a few and use the right ones. It should be auto ranging but microvolt capable (0.001V) if you plan on watching O2 sensors.

Think about it this way as far as engine diagnostics go,
The ECM perceives the raw signal data, so in theory every in put an output could be monitored the classic way.

cruzad3r

steve i read your post last night and today and i still not fully comprehending it.

what i wanted to do was (with the help from forum members here) to find a diagnostic tools that can mimic the tools dealers used. now it's almost impossible to get a 1 to 1 match but if we can get something like .8 to 1 match, i'm happy.

does that make sense to everyone?

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

I don't understand half the things that I type sometimes. I had an original thought that would really have only required a paragraph but at the end I do not know if I actually made any sense.

As far as the interface I am totally into that theory. For years I have wanted to find something, but they seem to either have accurate engine data monitor or the ability to interface with other networked devices but nothing that seems to do both.

cruzad3r

yeah, i'm sure there's good info in your post. i'm sure there's good emulator or software out there that can mimic the dealers tools. not sure how people not aware of this.

jhuerto23
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

Has anybody purchase this?

goldensoldier
Car: ???

Datascan2
30-60 maybe $20 1 time fee.
But you'll need elm327 obd2cable

Chaluska

for what its worth, i used a JDIAG J2534 with emulated consult 3 plus. after a difficult installation on a (required) window XP PC, it eventually started working. got to re-flash the BCM. at $500 its still cheaper than a Consult III+

cruzad3r

chaluska, do you mind provide more info on your "diagnostic tool quest" - also does that tool work with Infiniti as well? Any limitations or drawbacks? thanks

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I've noticed some people on here using the AutoEnginuity Giatto, it's a laptop-based package for about $250. I wasn't greatly impressed with the basic package, but on further investigation they offer a "Nissan/Infiniti Enhancement Package" for another $200 that looks excellent. I went at length through the systems and streams supported by the enhancement, and for a total of $450, it should do virtually everything you can do with a Consult3+.

cruzad3r

can you post some screenshot of the app and its capabilities?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

cruzad3r

thanks for the link. i guess i'm interested in your own experience and feedback. What have you used this application for? I.E - have you change any live parameters, run any diagnostic for each of the module (brake, airbag, etc..)

btw, it's only taking 11 years since my original post to get to where we are so let's keep it up :)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

cruzad3r wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:36 pm
btw, it's only taking 11 years since my original post to get to where we are so let's keep it up :)
:rotfl

I don't own it yet, I just found out about it. I already use Bitscope on a laptop for my oscilloscope needs, so this would dovetail nicely. As I said, I wasn't terribly impressed with the capabilities for a general-purpose scanner, but for $200 the Nissan-specific capabilities are very impressive. I plan to get one next time there's some extra money in the kitty.

moftz
Car: 2006 M35x, 140k mi

I bought the NDSII android app and it works well. You can see some register values that Torque doesn't know about and can run a couple diagnostic tests but not much else. I'm not sure what I can do with a real Consult II but it helped me diagnose an AC issue so I guess it was worth the few bucks.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

I ended up buying the Auto Enginuity software with the Infiniti package. It is nice software, and does show you everything in the car. I like that the error code lookup tells a properly detailed answer that is relevant rather than something generic like a cheap code reader does. I like that you can reset the ECU, do an idle air learn, etc from the software instead of the complicated foot pedal mashing and on off combo with exact timing when trying to do those without software. I also like how you can see history graph of anything you want in the car and it tells you min and max specifications for that item so you know whether you are in tolerance.

However, for all that the software can do, the UpRev Osiris and Cypher software has already been able to do since I got it back in 2010 or 2011ish. So if this is a Consult level software package, then that means we have really already had that sort of thing available for over a decade. I guess I was expecting a little more, or possibly some additional programmable stuff that I had thought a Consult II is supposed to be able to do (maybe they dont?). Now granted the software is cheaper than UpRev, but with UpRev you get a tune as well. Unfortunately, I had lost my UpRev cable during a move at some point so this software is still useful to me, but I just wanted to say that the software is effectively the same as UpRev is minus getting a tune too.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:21 pm
Unfortunately, I had lost my UpRev cable during a move at some point so this software is still useful to me, but I just wanted to say that the software is effectively the same as UpRev is minus getting a tune too.
The big advantage I saw in the AutoEnginuity package was the extensive coverage for late model subsystems, which of course is most of what I work on. Very few inexpensive tools do thorough diagnostics and streaming for systems like ADAS, Radar, Sonar, Auto Back Door, etc, or even the new electric IVT Controllers. Admittedly it may be less useful for older rides like yours, Enigma. And for the most part, no matter whose scanner you use, you'll still need a Nissan license to get firmware for reprogramming any of those things.

cruzad3r

so my experience is that once you upgrade the FW on the Uprev Cable, the Osiris software is no longer work even if you rolled back.

I haven't look into AutoEngiunity but it sounds like something useful. My family has too many Nissan/Infiniti cars that i think it's essential to have. That is if it's not super expensive. I still hate Uprev for screwing over its customers.

Vstar - are you a nissan/infiniti tech? I do have some questions related to the rear recline/heat seat on my M35 that i'm hoping you might have the answer to.

Thanks all, keep up with the info. We need this!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

cruzad3r wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:32 am
Vstar - are you a nissan/infiniti tech? I do have some questions related to the rear recline/heat seat on my M35 that i'm hoping you might have the answer to.
Nissan Master Tech, electrical specialty. Not well-versed on the weirdest Infiniti stuff, but I do have access to Infiniti documentation through ASIST.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”