Coilover / Lowering Spring Options

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
AlexN09
Car: 2011 Altima Coupe 2.5S

Well I don't have coilovers at all and honestly don't have any plans to get them, however... I have noticed that you have really done a great job writing up helpful threads lately (this one and the wheel fitment guide) and thought maybe a section about properly preloading your coils may help a lot of people.

I just have this feeling that many are riding around with poorly adjusted coils.

AlexM.
Car: 2010 2.5 Altima Coupe Super Black

Thanks man but I don't know enough to even write something very basic about dampening or preload.
AlexN09 wrote:I just have this feeling that many are riding around with poorly adjusted coils.
I think you're right about this. I don't think mine are properly adjusted either and I think incorrect preload is part of the reason that my front struts pop when I turn the steering wheel.

Mistahlimit
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

they say when you hear that popping noise, your springs are lose... that happened to me but it happened when i went over a bump

AlexM.

Yeah I'm thinking the springs are loose. I think mine is coil binding since it only happens when I turn the wheel. Supposedly you can fix this by increasing your preload but this didn't help me. I added 10mm of preload after I hand tightened them and the noise is still there

Mistahlimit

wow thats something ill email bc about... i added about 8mm to my ksport fronts and everything went away

SanoSuKe

I got the new BC's and I had the same problem that Alex's talking about. Kept popping when I turn the wheel, oddly enough it stopped once I lowered the coils..

aphu
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe

SanoSuKe wrote:I got the new BC's and I had the same problem that Alex's talking about. Kept popping when I turn the wheel, oddly enough it stopped once I lowered the coils..
Post pics

AlexM.

Mistahlimit wrote:wow thats something ill email bc about... i added about 8mm to my ksport fronts and everything went away
Yeah maybe I should. I hate contacting BC though. It's never a good experience

SanoSuKe

aphu wrote:
SanoSuKe wrote:I got the new BC's and I had the same problem that Alex's talking about. Kept popping when I turn the wheel, oddly enough it stopped once I lowered the coils..
Post pics
I'm not slammed all the way, and I need a professional photo shoot. I'll PM you some pics, don't wanna Hijack the thread.

and yeah, BC's customer service is not the best out there..

Mistahlimit

AlexM. wrote:
Mistahlimit wrote:wow thats something ill email bc about... i added about 8mm to my ksport fronts and everything went away
Yeah maybe I should. I hate contacting BC though. It's never a good experience

that sucks man.... when i got my coils in ksport forgot to include a couple of brackets for the abs line and when i emailed them they were very nice and sent it out as soon as possible.... there customer service is very good lol

oh and could that noise be caused because you modded your fronts??
i remember reading that in the V2 article :confused:

Innovazn
Car: Yellow 1998 Nissan R34 Skyline RB25DET 5 MT - Current

White 2012 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SR 6MT - Salvage (T-Boned at left turn)

White 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE - SOLD (blew the engine)

Heard somewhere that one of the coilover setups cant accomodate the strut bars...

In addition... I want to go "lower" but not have too much of an issue going over speed bumps... Overall maybe a 2.4 inc drop all around... Suggestions please

AlexM.

Innovazn wrote:Heard somewhere that one of the coilover setups cant accomodate the strut bars...

In addition... I want to go "lower" but not have too much of an issue going over speed bumps... Overall maybe a 2.4 inc drop all around... Suggestions please
Hey,

BC's don't accomodate strut bars straight out of the box. You'll need longer bolts.

As far as your ride height, did you get your springs yet? If not I'd go with Tein or Tein coil overs

Innovazn

I did get my springs and am not impressed... Looks nice ont he back but the front is terrible... I want to be lower... Much lower... To the point where i have to angle my way off speed bumps... Will teins do that for me? or Should i contact BC and have them customize a kit for me? Harshness in ride is not an issue. Roads here are not that bad... Major road work in fixing potholes are in effect.

AlexM.

Innovazn wrote:I did get my springs and am not impressed... Looks nice ont he back but the front is terrible... I want to be lower... Much lower... To the point where i have to angle my way off speed bumps... Will teins do that for me? or Should i contact BC and have them customize a kit for me? Harshness in ride is not an issue. Roads here are not that bad... Major road work in fixing potholes are in effect.
I thought you didn't wanna have issues going over speed bumps? lol. If your roads are like mine then Teins would not do it for you and neither would BC's. But others have mentioned scraping not at the lowest ride height on BC's due to their roads but there's no telling what the terrain is like exactly, how fast they were going, etc. Might wanna talk to Weimy82 (I think that's his user name) about his experience with Tein. If you contact BC, ask them about their "Extreme Drop kits". I asked them one time and they never got back to me about them. I'm hoping you'll have better luck.

Innovazn

Can you state which coilovers will accomodate strut bars? Someone said BC's cant due to short bolts. Im really looking into these coilovers and im really stumped.....

Innovazn

AlexM. wrote:
Innovazn wrote:I did get my springs and am not impressed... Looks nice ont he back but the front is terrible... I want to be lower... Much lower... To the point where i have to angle my way off speed bumps... Will teins do that for me? or Should i contact BC and have them customize a kit for me? Harshness in ride is not an issue. Roads here are not that bad... Major road work in fixing potholes are in effect.
I thought you didn't wanna have issues going over speed bumps? lol. If your roads are like mine then Teins would not do it for you and neither would BC's. But others have mentioned scraping not at the lowest ride height on BC's due to their roads but there's no telling what the terrain is like exactly, how fast they were going, etc. Might wanna talk to Weimy82 (I think that's his user name) about his experience with Tein. If you contact BC, ask them about their "Extreme Drop kits". I asked them one time and they never got back to me about them. I'm hoping you'll have better luck.
Since i joined my local club, i came to realize, i look like im 4x4ing rolling with them. And they do ok going over speed bumps... therfoorrree.........

With Eibachs, i smoke my Control arm once in a blue moon when i dont angle... so im trying to find a happy medium just the front gap is so :facepalm:

AlexM.

Innovazn wrote:Can you state which coilovers will accomodate strut bars? Someone said BC's cant due to short bolts. Im really looking into these coilovers and im really stumped.....
I don't know strut bars fit with other coils. Sorry. Maybe someone else does

nico510
Car: 72 Datsun 510 wagon, 07 Nissan Armada SE, 13 Infiniti M37S

Not to be frugal butta, anybody knows anybody selling a used set of D2 coilovers?

crazyeyes124
Car: 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5S Sedan

I have a 2.5S Sedan and am wondering what would be the best combination of lowering coil springs with 18's on my car. I want it to look mean but i also don't want to hit the bottom of my car on every speed bump. Just would like some different options.

superbad
Car: 2014 alti 3.5SL

With springs you should not have to worry about speed bumps unless you speed over them or they are insanely over sized bumps. I have coilovers and my car sits lower than any springs would sit you and have no issues with most speed bumps

MkP2
Car: 2010 Altima S sedan

Hey guys,
I just recently registered and I am a noobie to this whole forum thing.
I am wanting to lower my altima and was wondering which of the lowering springs would have the most ride comfort?

2010 Altima 2.5 S -bone stock

MarioG
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe 2.5S

Anyone know if D2 offers separate lowering springs if you so choose to go even lower? I hear Megan offers that but the D2s go lower to begin with,

MarioG
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe 2.5S

Can someone please confirm for me what coilovers drop the lowest? I've read several threads with different responses.

Ranga14
Car: Boosted 08 Altima Coupe 3.5

Just FYI...

TEIN Street Advance are NOT compatible with EDFC if you're looking into that. The prior Superstreets were. Not sure why they made that change, pretty stupid!

Kyle Snodgrass
Car: 2008 Black Altima Coupe 3.5 SE

I know this topic is quite old but if I got D2's i would be able to go the lowest? Im sitting on 18's with 225/45 up front and 245/45 in the back and trying to eliminate all wheel gap.

09SLATEM6
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima SE M/T

Just put TEIN lowering springs and KYB excelG on the front only. It WAAAYY improved the look of the car. I’m ok with the slight rake if the new stance. It’s maybe 1/2 inch lower in the Front than rear now with stock springs still in the rear. Since the instal I also have noticed a piping sound when turning the wheel at parking speeds. After having my friend “check my work” at his shock we are 99% sure it’s the new KYB strut mounts because it’s happening on both sides and after further research I’ve read a few people saying the same about the KYB mounts. So since they’re brand new and I’m very happy with everything else they will stay on until I need new struts.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”