CLEANING THE MAF

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

First, I should report that it is NOT recommended unless there is an issue with engine performance and it is done in an effort to improve it. Not knowing that bit, I cleaned mine because I'm anal about replacing the PCV, air filters, oil & filter, etc at low intervals - this idea about the MAF just fit into my anal, perfectionist personality, LOL.

** If you use K&N air filters, they can release tiny drops of oil that cling to the MAF hot wire and cause trouble. It has been recommended time and again to steer clear of K&N, but I'm repeating it here for those who haven't heard the harm they can do to our Infiniti engines.***

Below is an excellent video that walks you through the procedure and provides great tips:

CLEANING MAF SAFELY:
http://youtu.be/_TO7ZC5N-aA

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Carfreak70852
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

Good stuff - thanks for posting. I have always stayed clear of cleaning MAF's with any type of solvent. Seems to do more damage than good.

Larz

Thank you and welcome to NICO ! You will find tons of useful info in the FAQ section with DIYs and tech info. You can also use the search box to look up threads about a particular item like "NAV", "BOSE", etc. If you can't find info on what you are looking for, just post about it and other members here will jump in to help.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I used to clean the MAF on my 99 Maxima somewhat regularly and never had an issue (I did have a K&N filter kill it though, which is why I use ONLY stock/OEM air filters now).

Never did it on the M...I heard the TB is very touchy if something even remotely changes. Have you cleaned it yet Larz? How did it go? Any issues after? If you've done it without issue, I may clean mine and create a HowTo for the Y51 guys.

Larz

I cleaned the MAF sensor on my old M as well. When I did the same thing to my 09 M, I cleaned them both the same way the video recommends and used the same brand MAF cleaner ... but ... after they dried, I forgot to plug in one of the MAFs and that must have thrown the engine into a mad cow state. My idle was near 1,000 instead of 600, the engine was very rough and the CEL switched on. After I fixed my mistake, everything was fine but the CEL did not go out, so I had to do the ECU and throttle resets.

As for the throttle bodies themselves, no I haven't cleaned them. I assume since I have two intakes, I also have two throttle bodies. I have heard the same horror stories. I am taking the car to the dealer for coolant, trans, and diff fluid changes next month so I will have them clean the throttle bodies and fuel injectors at the same visit. They will also be changing the brake fluid when they instal my brakemotive kit ( will be ordering that in the new year). I do the power steering fluid myself using a turkey baster that I commandeered from Fetucini's kitchen tools, LOL.

rabi_lj
Car: 2007 m35x

Larz wrote:
Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:31 pm
I cleaned the MAF sensor on my old M as well. When I did the same thing to my 09 M, I cleaned them both the same way the video recommends and used the same brand MAF cleaner ... but ... after they dried, I forgot to plug in one of the MAFs and that must have thrown the engine into a mad cow state. My idle was near 1,000 instead of 600, the engine was very rough and the CEL switched on. After I fixed my mistake, everything was fine but the CEL did not go out, so I had to do the ECU and throttle resets.

As for the throttle bodies themselves, no I haven't cleaned them. I assume since I have two intakes, I also have two throttle bodies. I have heard the same horror stories. I am taking the car to the dealer for coolant, trans, and diff fluid changes next month so I will have them clean the throttle bodies and fuel injectors at the same visit. They will also be changing the brake fluid when they instal my brakemotive kit ( will be ordering that in the new year). I do the power steering fluid myself using a turkey baster that I commandeered from Fetucini's kitchen tools, LOL.
any updates of takeaway in terms of MAF cleaning? Should we clean it regularly or not? Thanks for sharing.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Owner's manual does not list MAF cleaning as maintenance, so I would say don't worry about it

rabi_lj

LIBRILZ wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:32 pm
Owner's manual does not list MAF cleaning as maintenance, so I would say don't worry about it
currently my mileage is Around 20l/100km in city. The car is eating my wallet. am thinking to clean it. but not quite sure.

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

My policy on MAF cleaning is that I never do it unless I have a MAF code, and possibility is that the sensor itself might be at fault.
In this scenario, I might get lucky that contamination is throwing the code.
If not, nothing lost except the money spent on MAF sensor cleaner!

Caution with using MAF cleaner:
Less is more effective, do not drown out the sensor & use up the can on it!

Reason is any wet residue that might not evap could destroy a good sensor.
If you decide to clean it, let it dry thoroughly before re-install & start up.

rabi_lj

steve_c wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:27 am
My policy on MAF cleaning is that I never do it unless I have a MAF code, and possibility is that the sensor itself might be at fault.
In this scenario, I might get lucky that contamination is throwing the code.
If not, nothing lost except the money spent on MAF sensor cleaner!

Caution with using MAF cleaner:
Less is more effective, do not drown out the sensor & use up the can on it!

Reason is any wet residue that might not evap could destroy a good sensor.
If you decide to clean it, let it dry thoroughly before re-install & start up.
thanks for sharing!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”