Clay bar

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

phobs wrote:It's more reasonable with regular soap without wax because clay will strip the wax and you're gonna end up waxing in the end anyways.
I need your opinion. i didn't get to finish waxing last night. Should I continue or wash then wax again?

phobs

As long as your car is clean and not dirty then it should be fine. I'm guessing you may have some minor dust collected on your car, so just wipe it off with a microfiber cloth, then continue to wax the rest of your car. Check out this thread on the process on detailing, it's really helpful.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/...=2409

Don Nguyen

I know you don't want to polish a car too often, cause it might take off clear/paint, but is it ok to claybar the car more often? Any downsides, besides the time it takes?

phobs

I usually clay bar when I fully detail my car (wash, clay bar, polish, wax). As long as you maintain and keep the car clean, wax often, you won't need to clay bar as much.

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

My Rogue looked very nice after waxing it. Now, it has return to pre wax. Like there is a layer of dust or dirt. How do i keep it looking good?

dtb
Car: 1997 240SX SE

When that happens to me, I just reapply. Wax doesn't last as long as polish. It's a pain sometimes but it does look good!

JIBRIL4life
Car: 2.5s 6MT Altima Coupe

Okay so clay bars, they are an abbrassive. You will get this when you hit an area and run out of lubricant. It actually breaks down the contaminant into smaller particles.

It will wear down your coats, so you have to reapply a wax and polish the car. You will notice a difference if you clean the car then feel the car. It will feel rough, if you have done a good job after clay, polish wax it will feel silky.

I have problems with particles sitting around the front of my hood when i wax i clay polsih and wax this area and any other area that may need it.

You can over clay and over polish.

Good luck and have fun

phobs

Yeah and don't drop your clay bar, that's a big no no! Although it's not as bad as dropping the soap.

Kanard
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe!

Is this a good "detailer/polish" ? to use after you wax? 1.wet car down2. wash with soapy turtle wax car wash 3. dry and absorb with "absorbit" shammy..4. wax with NXT Spray TEch Wax5. Polish a day later... Does that sound good? i think the car in question came out looking good.. lol smooth like baby bott-um! lol i have yet to use clay-bar. Thought that i needed it now..so im closer to purchase.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I've got quite a bit of small tree sap spots on my paint, my question is whether the clay bar will work to remove these? I realize nothing except harsh solvents will remove the sap EASILY, I'm not expecting easy, but will the clay bar be at all effective at removing sap? In the past I've tried nail polish remover and other alcohol sovents and it instantly dissolves the tree sap, but unfortunately it also leaves a halo in the paint, presumably damaging the clear coat so Iwon't try that again!

Return to “Detailing Forum”