CHATROOM: Towing

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
psyman42
Car: 2001 Honda Accord EX (Totaled)
2007 Honda CRV EX (Traded In)
2014 Nissan Rogue SV Premium Package (Sold)
2017 Nissan Rogue SL Platinum Reserve Premium Package

mmascari wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:56 am
Has anyone installed a hitch on a 2017 with the motion activated liftgate?

The OEM directions show replacing an ECU with part 285T1 4BA1B for the Kick Motion Sensor. Searching for this part it comes up on a few parts sites, but it's not found when searching for it on the official Nissan site.

There's no indication about how it's the same or different than the ECU Sensor that's already installed, or what the part number is for the one already installed. I can't figure out what the part number even is for the one that comes with the car.

I'm wondering if it's really necessary? And what the impact to the motion activated liftgate is by adding a hitch right in it's zone. I don't see any way to turn off this feature if the hitch creates an issue. Plus, I would prefer to keep the feature, I've gotten way more used to it than I thought I would.
So I just installed the hitch on my 2017 Nissan Rogue with Kick Motion sensor and now the sensor doesn't work anymore. Any update on this part to make it work again??

mmascari
Car: 2017 Rogue SL Platinum Reserve

psyman42 wrote: So I just installed the hitch on my 2017 Nissan Rogue with Kick Motion sensor and now the sensor doesn't work anymore. Any update on this part to make it work again??
Have you talked to a dealer at all?

Any luck at all getting the Kick Motion sensor and a hitch to work?

BigOc90
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hey guys,
I bought a 2014 Rogue SL with the premium package back last Sept. It had 30,060 miles on it when I bought it and it looked like a new one on the inside and out. So far I have to say I love this little SUV ! At 35.000 miles I took it to a Nissan dealer and had it serviced and had a drain & fill done on the CVT.
Here's my question, I know it's not recommended to pull a trailer, but I did have a hitch put on it so I could use one of the metal carriers that you can use with a hitch so I could take my trash off and other such type of jobs. I have a trailer that I normally pull with my truck but the truck is in the shop having some work done to it and I need to go to Bristol Va to pick up a new couch at a store which is about 50 miles one way.
Would it be ok to pull the trailer on this one trip and not hurt the CVT as long as I don't make it a regular thing as far as pulling the trailer. This will probably be a one time deal, but I don't want to chance it if there is a good chance of damaging the CVT. My trailer is a 6x10 Karavan Platinum that is about 850 lbs. The couch is the only thing I will be carring on the trailer.
I do live in the Southwest part of Virginia so there are some hills over to Bristol and back.
Sorry this is a little long but wanted to give as much info as I could to help.
Thanks !

ras_oscar

The towing limits are 1K lbs weight and 250 lbs tongue weight.

I have never towed anything and had the CVT replaced at 125K. IMHO its not worth the risk. I also have a hitch, but only use it for a bike rack.

kboo74
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg (Former)
2017.5 Nissan Murano SL Tech Pkg) (Former)
2019 Acura RDX A-Spec with Tech Pkg Performance Red

Yes I know its a diffrent vehicle but this is still relivant. I have a 2017.5 Murano with a 2 inch receiver In installed. My vehicle is rated to to 1500lbs (500 more than the Rogue). I rented a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul and drove from Newport News, Va to Winston Salem, NC to pick up moms washer and dryer. The trailer weighed about 500lbs (6 x 10 i believe) and the combined weight of the washer and dryer was about 500 lbs. I loaded the washer over the trailer axle and the dryer toward the front of the trailer. My tounge weight is 250lbs or 300lbs. I had no problems at all from the CVT. The trailer was stable empty and loaded with me encountering some minor hills in South Hills, Va. Other than my gas mileage going down obviously no problems at all and I had my wife and 11 and 19 year old with me. I just made sure that all the math in the owners manual was good compared to what I was actually towing. This was about 4 months ago. Hope this helps you.

Ken

kboo74
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg (Former)
2017.5 Nissan Murano SL Tech Pkg) (Former)
2019 Acura RDX A-Spec with Tech Pkg Performance Red

You can tow a small trailer with your Rogue as long as you follow your owners manual recommendations and make sure your math is accurate. Plan your route to minimize hills and no crazy driving and you should be ok. If your really worried go to a place that specializes in trailers or a service dept you trust. I did mine and my baby handled it with ease. I drove 600 plus miles round trip. No issues and this was shortly after my break in period for my car(brand new).

Ken

BigOc90
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info and advice, but I decided to barrow my brother in laws truck to pull my trailer.
The trailer I have is pretty heavy by itself at close to 900lbs. I took it to the local dump and had them weigh it, after that, I decided it just wasn't worth the chance. There is no way to get to Bristol from where I live without going over a couple of pretty steep hills and by the time I put the couch on the trailer it would be well over the limit of the Rogue.
I have to say, that is the only thing I regret about bying my Rogue and wish I would have done a little more research into the CVT before buying it, but other than the towing issue, I love it so far !
Thanks again for the replys and help.

Ian_H
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

Hello, we recently purchased a 2018 Nissan Rogue S, 4 cyl AWD. We are looking to go camping this summer for a week and would be borrowing a friend's pop-up camper. The camper weighs about 1,500 lbs fully stocked. The Rogue manual says towing capacity is 1,100 lbs. I have heard mixed opinions on towing things over the vehicles rating. Some say they wouldn't do it, other say they do it often with no problems. I would love some feedback from the forum on whether or not you guys/gals recommend towing over vehicle rating or not. Keep in mind too, the Rogue itself will be stocked with some camping luggage, myself, my wife and our 2 year old. So I would say around total load of 1,800 lbs. Thanks so much everyone!!

prj
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue. 2004 Nissan Titan

You've already answered your own question. You're exceeding the designed towing capacity of the car.

You should have bought an Outback that has 2700 lbs towing capacity.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

The towing capacity on the Rogue is based on the estimated gross vehicle weight when loaded with passengers and fuel and whatever extra the CVT can take before it implodes.

I would strongly advise against towing a 1500 pound camper with it.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Ian_H wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:18 am
Hello, we recently purchased a 2018 Nissan Rogue S, 4 cyl AWD. We are looking to go camping this summer for a week and would be borrowing a friend's pop-up camper. The camper weighs about 1,500 lbs fully stocked. The Rogue manual says towing capacity is 1,100 lbs. I have heard mixed opinions on towing things over the vehicles rating. Some say they wouldn't do it, other say they do it often with no problems. I would love some feedback from the forum on whether or not you guys/gals recommend towing over vehicle rating or not. Keep in mind too, the Rogue itself will be stocked with some camping luggage, myself, my wife and our 2 year old. So I would say around total load of 1,800 lbs. Thanks so much everyone!!
We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Merged with existing thread.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

You will void your warranty and will have to pay the full cost for replacing it. Just get a non-cvt rental vehicle that can handle the towing capacity.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

One should understand that towing damage often shows up AFTER the towing is done and sometimes years later, it increases cumulative wear. Load those CVT chain teeth harder and it simply dies quicker, just not at that time. So all that 'it's OK' may not be at all, unless one tends to roll the vehicles over quick.

I say that after repairing at the family garage conventional engines and transmissions that were towed on for long periods, the wear DOES increase.

Luuv2sail
Car: 2020 Rogue SL

psyman42 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:44 am
mmascari wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:56 am
Has anyone installed a hitch on a 2017 with the motion activated liftgate?

The OEM directions show replacing an ECU with part 285T1 4BA1B for the Kick Motion Sensor. Searching for this part it comes up on a few parts sites, but it's not found when searching for it on the official Nissan site.

There's no indication about how it's the same or different than the ECU Sensor that's already installed, or what the part number is for the one already installed. I can't figure out what the part number even is for the one that comes with the car.

I'm wondering if it's really necessary? And what the impact to the motion activated liftgate is by adding a hitch right in it's zone. I don't see any way to turn off this feature if the hitch creates an issue. Plus, I would prefer to keep the feature, I've gotten way more used to it than I thought I would.
So I just installed the hitch on my 2017 Nissan Rogue with Kick Motion sensor and now the sensor doesn't work anymore. Any update on this part to make it work again??
Did you arrive at a happy ending to the Kick Motion Sensor dilemna? Two days ago I traded my 2017 Rogue SV for a 2020 SL. The new one has the motion activated liftgate, which puts me in the position you had.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Luuv2sail wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:29 am
Did you arrive at a happy ending to the Kick Motion Sensor dilemna? Two days ago I traded my 2017 Rogue SV for a 2020 SL. The new one has the motion activated liftgate, which puts me in the position you had.
Welcome to NICO.

AFAIK, putting a hitch on will block the sensor, so there's no workaround. You'll have to choose which item is more important to you, hitch or hands free liftgate.

mmascari
Car: 2017 Rogue SL Platinum Reserve

Luuv2sail wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:29 am
The exact details were not clear enough, and it was more expensive than I was willing to just try without knowing.

Luuv2sail

Here’s what I just found - and - ordered a hitch:
“The hands free liftgate sensor for your 2019 Nissan Rogue will still be operational with the installation of an aftermarket trailer hitch like the etrailer hitch part # e98846. However, you will need to place your foot on either side of the receiver tube opening in order to activate it. This is the case for most vehicles that have the hands free liftgate sensor.“
That was from:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-358285.html

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Well, let's hope they're right.

Luuv2sail

Stay tuned. I’ll update after installation.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

:drama:

Speaking of etrailer, I rebought these.

Firestone Coil-Rite Air Helper Springs - Rear Axle

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspen ... F4175.html

It works for both 1st & 2nd generation

I had to re-install new ones after having to destroy my first ones during my lift kit install. :werd:

Never had a problem with them. When I had to remove my springs and take these out, holy crap these are tough son of a b*#%hes. Air hoses are Fort Knox lock tight into these bags. Hard as hell to puncture them, so they are really made from tough sturdy material. Imho. :chuckle:

Luuv2sail

Luuv2sail wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:18 pm
Here’s what I just found - and - ordered a hitch:
“The hands free liftgate sensor for your 2019 Nissan Rogue will still be operational with the installation of an aftermarket trailer hitch like the etrailer hitch part # e98846. However, you will need to place your foot on either side of the receiver tube opening in order to activate it. This is the case for most vehicles that have the hands free liftgate sensor.“
That was from:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-358285.html
It works! I installed the eTrailer tow hitch and the liftgate sensor still opens the rear hatch. The hardest part of the install was removing Nissan's bolts from the holes where the hitch was to be installed. I recommend 1/2" drive long-handled ratchet with 18mm socket. I only had 3/8" drive ratchet and had to use a foot long closed ended wrench as a cheater bar. The eTrailer tow harness required extensive disassembly of cargo area panels as well as running a hot wire under the car to the battery. After an hour I decided against using it. Its $45 price tag was enticing. However, Nissan's $180 harness better integrates to the Rogue's electrical system. It utilizes an unused wire already in a cargo area harness and just requires adding a fuse to the corresponding slot in the fuse box (engine compartment). I installed the same harness in my 2017 Rogue SV.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

bacon.gif
bacon.gif (1.98 MiB) Viewed 2166 times

Return to “Rogue Forum”