CHATROOM: TINTED TAIL LIGHTS

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

why dont you order those chrome door handle covers from ebay, and simply spray the chrome with your paint/or matt black?

ROGUEPLANET
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue se

ImStricken wrote:why dont you order those chrome door handle covers from ebay, and simply spray the chrome with your paint/or matt black?
I have thought about that.

JMPlocica
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

ROGUEPLANET wrote:
tdhk wrote:@RoguePlanet
Looking good! Thanks for posting pics cause I have the same color as you an stricken.

On another note, I could of sworn I saw a pic of someone's tinted tailights (w/VHT) where they DID NOT black out the 3 horizontal reflectors (recessed pieces) on the outer light. link? or post? please. It needs to be in here. thx!

wildcardz

where did he get these covers?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

JMPlocica wrote:Image

where did he get these covers?
not covers, paint.

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I've been thinking about doing that... some VHT Nightshades. May run it past the lady.

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

ROGUEPLANET wrote:
ImStricken wrote:why dont you order those chrome door handle covers from ebay, and simply spray the chrome with your paint/or matt black?
I have thought about that.

Wrap in carbon fiber vinyl even. hmm...

kencyr1
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue pearl white

I tried this over the weekend, and after the first coat of NHT night shade, the entire taillight has like spider cracks through the whole thing. What did I do wrong? I wet sanded with 2000. My taillights are basically ruined, I'll have to try to find some at a decent price. ..

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kencyr1 wrote:I tried this over the weekend, and after the first coat of NHT night shade, the entire taillight has like spider cracks through the whole thing. What did I do wrong? I wet sanded with 2000. My taillights are basically ruined, I'll have to try to find some at a decent price. ..
what did you use to clean the lenses with? something either placed an oily barrier, or reacted with your paint.

you can fix them:
clean the work area with alcohol, sand them down gently with 1000 or 1500 grit, smooth them out with 2000 grit, then try again (or simply spray clear)

kencyr1
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue pearl white

Well, I didn't clean them, figured the wet sanding would clean them. I went ahead and finished them anyways, just got done waxing, and they actually look really good. If I'm feeling froggy I might try to do them over.
I do have a question though, will doing the proceed you mentioned fix this? It looks like actual cracks in the plastic, not scratches, but can't really tell.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kencyr1 wrote:Well, I didn't clean them, figured the wet sanding would clean them. I went ahead and finished them anyways, just got done waxing, and they actually look really good. If I'm feeling froggy I might try to do them over.
I do have a question though, will doing the proceed you mentioned fix this? It looks like actual cracks in the plastic, not scratches, but can't really tell.
idk your tail light condition. you might have cracks in your tail light (give us a pic or two)

but not cleaning them prior to sanding is surely to backfire.

JMed
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD (Pearl White)
2015 Nissan Rogue SV (Black)

I will redo mine when the weather gets between 80-85F. I believe it's going to look better with VHT Nightshade instead of having Vinyl over them...

Nickeyblues
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue

Hey all I know its been a while since anyone wrote here, I just got a 2010 Nissan Rogue and was going to black out tail lights, how many coats of clear and is there a specific type of plastic only clear coat I should be using??

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

welcome to the forum mate!!

it really depends on you. if you live near a lot of sun - then id suggest a little more than 2/3 coats. if i remember correctly, i did 3 light coats(but i am in NJ). so if you are in CA, TX, AZ, etc then id say lay it on nice & thick lol

Leo2005

It was pretty bad on my '08 but gave another try to '14. Still can't decide if I should keep it black since stock lights are pretty cool:

Return to “Rogue Forum”