CHATROOM: TINTED TAIL LIGHTS

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

got a request from the "misses" to do the G-coupe's tail lights lol
(why did i even start..... lol)

ROGUEPLANET
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue se

ImStricken wrote:got a request from the "misses" to do the G-coupe's tail lights lol
(why did i even start..... lol)
PITA,,,,,ha I will probably be doing mine soon, so i hear your warning.

She is going to join the murdered out club, good for her. I kick myself everyday for not getting black.

Kojack021
Car: NIssan Rogue S Special Edition

So all in all how long did it take to do the tail lights?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Kojack021 wrote:So all in all how long did it take to do the tail lights?
4hours. but dont forget it takes a while for the paint to dry

2SSick
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
**2010 Camaro 2SS** SOLD! :*(
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4

dam bro...your just saw and conquered lol... but yea it only takes 3-4 hrs giving each coat of vht/clear time to dry. came out nice on your first try so cheers to that man. About the G...theres a car i can appreciate, that s*** is looking sharp! See atleast you have that car and your bikes to play with... I MISS MY CAMARO! not gonna lie i wanted to cry when i saw it drive away down the block the day i sold it.

There was a time when i had the 300x, my mom had the 350z, and my girl the g35... that was a good time. i had all those cars at my finger tips. but to be straight up honest... ive never driven a car that had the torque, feel, and power my camaro did... that car was a beast and a blast to drive even just to the store, every time i got out of it i said to myself..."i love my car!"... my ex had the g35 sedan, then a g37 sedan, and now has the g37 coupe so she kind of played that car out to me. But none the less its an AWESOME car and it too is a blast to drive.(prolly deff better in stick but i didnt have that luxury) In my opinion that is where nissan is the s***...when it comes to the Z and Skyline/GTR! (infiniti g37 and Z are the same s*** in my book)

2SSick

oh at thanks for the compliments on my tails! im glad im not the only one loving it lol

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

hey guys, im going to merge this thread (need help with VHT night shades) with the "CHATROOM: TINTED TAIL lIGHTS" thread. to keep the pics & info all in one place for future folks to reference too.

2SSick

ImStricken wrote:hey guys, im going to merge this thread (need help with VHT night shades) with the "CHATROOM: TINTED TAIL lIGHTS" thread. to keep the pics & info all in one place for future folks to reference too.
NP made my life easier.... now i don't have to post all those pics again.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

gotta say, my tail lights are growing on me quickly. ;) started to like them! lol

2SSick

they should...like tints i think they make all cars more attractive

Kojack021

When doing night shades, Why do yo have to sand the lights first?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

gives the paint something to stick too. you have to sand no matter what paint your using. night-shades or body paint.

PS: im gonna merge this into the VHT night shades thread.

Kojack021

ImStricken wrote:gives the paint something to stick too. you have to sand no matter what paint your using. night-shades or body paint.

PS: im gonna merge this into the VHT night shades thread.
Thanks man, you seem to have a grasp on all this stuff.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Kojack021 wrote:Thanks man, you seem to have a grasp on all this stuff.
if you only could see the history of mistakes that it took to learn this stuff lol

its sanding that is very-very gentle and easy. dont think of sanding, like you would to remove paint with a very agressive sand paper. you should use a 2,000 grit and with soapy (dish washing soap is great) water in a spray bottle spray your light, wet your sand paper, and nice even gentle strokes will glide the wet paper along the lens and every few seconds re spray the lense with more soapy water. you then will wash off all the soapy water and wet dust from the sanding and see a hazy tail light. dont panic. you can bring back the shine either by spraing it with a paint, or simply using a polish to buff it out and then a simple coat of wax.

this is the same procedure to remove scratches on your paint, hazed front headlights, paint chip fill ins, water stains on paint, or burned clear coat from no protection from the sun.

this is a procedure i wrote up for when my g37 got scratched up in a mall parking lot:
some tips i didnt write in:

WHEN SANDING: use very gentle strokes. work in one direction. make sure to keep the sand paper wet. wash away any dust as you work every 15-20seconds(or re-wet the paper every 15-20seconds)
STOP every minute, dry, and inspect the surface. Always start with 2000grit, and work your way to the 3000grit paper.

WHEN USING A ROTARY DRILL TIP, OR ORBITAL SANDER WITH FOAM PADS: make sure to use a quarter size amount of rubbing compound(very fine compound- as some compound could be to course and kill the 3000grit work you already did with sandpaper). dont sit in one spot for to long. hit the spot, and release(take off the pad) and hit it again, and remove, hit it again, remove (to not overheat the surface)
If the rubbing compound becomes dry, spray some water and go back at it.

then rub in polish by hand, or with a very-very gentle spinning cycle of a foam pad wipe off, and then wax the surface.

Kojack021

Thank you. If the weather clears up I may try it tomorrow.

ROGUEPLANET

Ok, so yesterday i was messing around with my tail lights in prep for hopefully good weather this weekend.

I un-bolted the 3 nuts that are holding the reverse light on, and it wouldn't budge. Is there a plastic tab holding this on. If i force it im afraid i will break it.

Pictures from leo2005's post

Last edited by ROGUEPLANET on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

ROGUEPLANET wrote:Prep.... Ok so yesterday i was messing around with my tail lights in prep for hopefully good weather this weekend.

I un-bolted the 3 nuts that are holding the reverse light on, and it wouldn't budge. Is there a plastic tab holding this on. If i force it im afraid i will break it.
with that light, prepare for a tug of war lol. the foam pad on the light is stuck to the metal. i had to use a mallet on the studs to force it out. (dont hit to hard, or you will blast off the studs))

ROGUEPLANET

ImStricken wrote:
ROGUEPLANET wrote:Prep.... Ok so yesterday i was messing around with my tail lights in prep for hopefully good weather this weekend.

with that light, prepare for a tug of war lol. the foam pad on the light is stuck to the metal. i had to use a mallet on the studs to force it out. (dont hit to hard, or you will blast off the studs))

Just straight out? Thanks for the fast response.

ROGUEPLANET

I hate plastic in the cold. Its been in the 40's all weekend

Have the entire day to myself and my car.
Broke a piece on my bulb holder so far, and waiting for my garage to heat up to paint, but im going for it today.

ROGUEPLANET

Second mistake, i see alot of dust in my paint, grrrrrrrr. should of laid down plastic on top of the wood.
So boys and girls let this be a lesson to you.
ha

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

make sure its not so cold that the paint is drying as its flying from the nozzle to the light. that could cause the "dust" you are seeing on the lights.

ROGUEPLANET

i'm going to give it 24 hours and and try and buff it a little, see if that affects the dusties.

This it turned out awite. I had sat the can on the heater for a while and it was 70 in my garage when i shot it.
So i truly blame it on dust on that board. I had cleaned the headlights with a degreaser before painting, and
when i shot it looked like glass.

So.

Anyway,

Oh, i also threw my curt hitch back on.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

ooooooooo snap! i see blacked out letters & side molding!!

dude, your rogue is looking awesome man. great job so far. i love the black/gray combo.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

ImStricken wrote:ooooooooo snap! i see blacked out letters & side molding!!
I concur!! That looks sweet!

MuranoDriver
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano SL

Great job all! Looking good! I've been thinking about doing a light tint on mine. Possibly vinyl/tint though.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

separated at birth(factory) :naughty:

ROGUEPLANET

:werd:
ImStricken wrote:Image
separated at birth(factory) :naughty:

tdhk
Car: '11 Rogue S awd K51 stock

@RoguePlanet
Looking good! Thanks for posting pics cause I have the same color as you an stricken.

On another note, I could of sworn I saw a pic of someone's tinted tailights (w/VHT) where they DID NOT black out the 3 horizontal reflectors (recessed pieces) on the outer light. link? or post? please. It needs to be in here. thx!

ROGUEPLANET

tdhk wrote:@RoguePlanet
Looking good! Thanks for posting pics cause I have the same color as you an stricken.

On another note, I could of sworn I saw a pic of someone's tinted tailights (w/VHT) where they DID NOT black out the 3 horizontal reflectors (recessed pieces) on the outer light. link? or post? please. It needs to be in here. thx!

wildcardz

ROGUEPLANET

So, last night i plastidipped my back hatch chrome piece, and i don't know if i like it or not.
It might be overkill, but it goes with the rest of the trim on the side and the front.
So im gonna roll a few days until i decide to take it off, maybe sooner if you guys think it looks like cramp.

I do like the way that this worked out, 1080 vinyl wrapped the small part of my door handles.
I just did a crappy job. Might try redoing it. The color isnt 100%, but from a distance you cant even tell.

Last edited by ROGUEPLANET on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rogue Forum”