CHATROOM: Engine Oil & Filter (schedule, type, etc)

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mav_santana
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I am coming up to an oil change and was quote 35$ by local guy for oil change. That of course includes oil, filter and the service for that.
If it were to do it myself, what is the market equivaltent of Nissan CVT NS-3 oil and the filter for that?
Or is it better to get it done in the 35$ deal?
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

phjake
Car: 2015 Murano SL

mav_santana wrote:I am coming up to an oil change and was quote 35$ by local guy for oil change. That of course includes oil, filter and the service for that.
If it were to do it myself, what is the market equivaltent of Nissan CVT NS-3 oil and the filter for that?
$35 for an oil + oil filter change sounds fair, but you are not going to get a CVT fluid change included for that price. That's way too low a price for a CVT fluid change, and if someone tells you they will do both an oil and CVT change for $35, tell them no thanks and go some place else. They can not be using fluids that meet Nissan's specs for that price unless they are stealing the oil and CVT fluid.

mav_santana
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

phjake wrote:
mav_santana wrote:I am coming up to an oil change and was quote 35$ by local guy for oil change. That of course includes oil, filter and the service for that.
$35 for an oil + oil filter change sounds fair, but you are not going to get a CVT fluid change included for that price. That's way too low a price for a CVT fluid change, and if someone tells you they will do both an oil and CVT change for $35, tell them no thanks and go some place else. They can not be using fluids that meet Nissan's specs for that price unless they are stealing the oil and CVT fluid.
What is a good brand that I can consider for CVT fluid? I saw Valvoline has one but are there any in BJ's or Costco that you know of?

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

Are you talking about engine oil change or transmission fluid change? CVT fluid is for transmission fluid change and most of us recommend using Nissan fluid, but you shouldn't be changing it that early since it last about 100k miles (or until the computer said so)

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Topic merged with existing thread. Please read through the previous posts, as the comments apply to both first and second gen Rogues.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

phjake
Car: 2015 Murano SL

zengshengliu wrote:Are you talking about engine oil change or transmission fluid change? CVT fluid is for transmission fluid change and most of us recommend using Nissan fluid, but you shouldn't be changing it that early since it last about 100k miles (or until the computer said so)
That's correct. Nissan does say if you want to follow their "premium maintenance" schedule you should change it earlier, but it's not required.

bcorson
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Nissan manual suggests 0W20 synthetic oil for 2015 Rogue. Does anyone know if that is what comes in the Rogue when shipped/delivered? I asked service at my dealership and they seemed to think it came with 5W20 standard oil which seems strange if they recommend the synthetic oil.
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

drummerguy
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

I contacted my dealer and they said my new 2015 rogue came with synthetic oil. The dealership uses mobil 0W20 when they change your oil.

bcorson

Thanks that makes more sense!

engine oil
Car: DIESEL FUEL
ENGINE OILS
HEAVY DUTY ENGINE OILS
SYNTHETIC OILS
ATF TRANSMISSION OILS
HYDRAULIC OILS
GEAR OILS
GREASE
ANTIFREEZE

blaA BLAA BLAA BLAA. SPAM.

-imstricken06

Chowcman
Car: 2015 Rogue SV Family Tech PW

I believe all factory rogue filled with 5w30. Owner manual says OK to use 5w30 vs 0W20.

So far my dealer use 5w30 regular oil in my last 3 oil change according to the invoice. My rogue has free lifetime oil change and cant complaint much.

I change my own oil with Toyota Full Synthetic 0w20 oil with Fram Xtreme filter at 1000km once. I had left over oil from my 2015 Toyota Sienna before trade in for Rogue.

0w20 is synthetic oil only. BTW Toyota oil cost $6 a litre vs $8-10 Mobil or Castrol per Quart (0.94L)

A_Miles2105
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Wife's)

I've been using M-1 off & on since 1976. One of it's features is that it will flow much better in cold weather and during ordinary starts. It will minimize what's known as "dry start" that is to say while dino is trying to fight it's way through the oil pump M-1 is already lubricating. You will note how easily the engine cranks with it in really cold weather.
Another good feature (if you ever need it) is that inside engine stays very clean, this is a real plus if you need to take it apart.
Things go well in an engine that uses dino that is changed on a proper schedule. Keeping clean oil with a still active additive package is a great way to go. M-1 is just better!

JamesO
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

Hi everyone.

We have an '11 Rogue S. We've had a pre-paid service contract through our dealer, but it's run its course and I'm getting ready to do all of our routine maintenance.

In replacing the oil filter, do you remove your front passenger side wheel? Do you remove the plastic panel? Or do you just reach up and in to unscrew it? I'm trying to find the simplest way to change the filter without creating a mess or spilling used fluids all over the street.

Thanks!

colonelcasey

I don't think you have to remove either. Just check out this video:

Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix link

JamesO
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

Cool. Thank you!

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

thats my video. ;)

you just reach up and push back the splash shield, and grab the filter. its super easy

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

JamesO wrote:Hi everyone.

We have an '11 Rogue S. We've had a pre-paid service contract through our dealer, but it's run its course and I'm getting ready to do all of our routine maintenance.

In replacing the oil filter, do you remove your front passenger side wheel? Do you remove the plastic panel? Or do you just reach up and in to unscrew it? I'm trying to find the simplest way to change the filter without creating a mess or spilling used fluids all over the street.

Thanks!
Merged with existing thread.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

DaytonDennis
Car: 2016 Rogue SV

Thanks for the video. I actually found it on Bing before I found the forum. It's always nice to see something "in action", as manuals seem to be notoriously confusing. On pushing the shield out of the way - you just pop loose the two retainers, right? I just purchased my 2016 at the end of December and have 2 free oil changes from the dealer, so I'm assuming they will use 5w30. Why your preference with 5W30 over the 0W30?, ImStriken? I have heard it is preferable during break-in so, I'll probably go synthetic for my 3rd change. I am also purchasing the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve (I've always meant to get one and I'm guess I'm now old enough that I'll take any help I can) I'm a firm believer in changing my own oil, as I want to be CERTAIN everything is tightened/filled and oil is not something you want uh-oh'ed.

DaytonDennis
Car: 2016 Rogue SV

whizkidtn wrote:I always change the oil myself, use M1 0W-30 full synthetic (purchased in 5QT jug at Walmart for $26) and use the PureOne oil filter ($7 from AdvanceAuto). The factory OCI is 5K miles and I change it at 4K~5K miles. I highly recommend replacing the oil drain bolt with the Fumoto Qwik-valve, makes oil changes far less "messy" and has a positive seal (even sell a "lock" for the paranoid).
I'm looking to get a Qwik-valve through Amazon and the Fumoto website gives me the model number to use, but also posts an adapter and states "you may also need this" I don't what makes that a "may" item. I have a 2016 and wonder if earlier years needed the adapter. Does anyone else use the Fumoto and does it need an adapter? Thanks

burrpenick
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV
2012 Ford Focus
2015 Mustang 3.7 V6/ 300HP
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

2015 Rogue: the manual seems to indicate oil changes s/be at 5K mile intervals, again, many newer cars seem to go much more. Is the 0-20 FULL synthetic the way to go? If so, how many miles on that stuff? AND.........what aftermkt filters are recommended. I've used Purolator bases for a long time, but was told that CARQUESTS are now made by WIX, which I've heard great things about.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

burrpenick wrote:2015 Rogue: the manual seems to indicate oil changes s/be at 5K mile intervals, again, many newer cars seem to go much more. Is the 0-20 FULL synthetic the way to go? If so, how many miles on that stuff? AND.........what aftermkt filters are recommended. I've used Purolator bases for a long time, but was told that CARQUESTS are now made by WIX, which I've heard great things about.
Merged with existing thread. Both gen Rogues share the same engine. Please read the previous posts.

whizkidtn
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL (AWD), Premium package

DaytonDennis wrote:
whizkidtn wrote:I always change the oil myself, use M1 0W-30 full synthetic (purchased in 5QT jug at Walmart for $26) and use the PureOne oil filter ($7 from AdvanceAuto). The factory OCI is 5K miles and I change it at 4K~5K miles. I highly recommend replacing the oil drain bolt with the Fumoto Qwik-valve, makes oil changes far less "messy" and has a positive seal (even sell a "lock" for the paranoid).
I'm looking to get a Qwik-valve through Amazon and the Fumoto website gives me the model number to use, but also posts an adapter and states "you may also need this" I don't what makes that a "may" item. I have a 2016 and wonder if earlier years needed the adapter. Does anyone else use the Fumoto and does it need an adapter? Thanks
Nope, didn't need any adapter to use on mine.
FWIW: I've also switched to the better Fram Ultra XG6607 filter instead of the Purolator.

nissanowner2017
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue S

Here is what the owner's manual says:

• Genuine “Nissan Motor Oil 0W-20 SN” is recommended.
• If the above motor is not available, use an equivalent motor oil that
matches the above grade and viscosity. For additional information, refer
to “Engine oil and oil filter recommendations” in this section.

What other oils would match 0W-20 besides the 0W-20?

colonelcasey

The owner's manual also says 5W-30. Hell my dealer, who did the last 4 oil changes, only gives 5W-30...

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

nissanowner2017 wrote:Here is what the owner's manual says:

• Genuine “Nissan Motor Oil 0W-20 SN” is recommended.
• If the above motor is not available, use an equivalent motor oil that
matches the above grade and viscosity. For additional information, refer
to “Engine oil and oil filter recommendations” in this section.

What other oils would match 0W-20 besides the 0W-20?
As stated previously in this thread, the first and second gen Rogues have the same engine. The 2017 uses the same oil that every other year does. Topics merged.

burrpenick
2012 Ford Focus
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

some tips and observations for the DIY oil change.....

It is tempting to have the dealer change the oil in my 2015 Rogue when they send out coupons that are less than the cost for the oil and filter, but............I still try to do my own for several reasons. One is that those coupon deals do not usually include synthetic oil and since its supposed to be better in many ways while also having a longer service life, I've decided to go that route. Another is that I like make sure the drain plug and filter are installed correctly (yes, the previous oil changer used a wrench to over tighten the filter- hand tighten only!). I also like to allow it to drain for more than 3 minutes (10 minutes is probably enough). After some research, I used the newest FRAM ULTRA filter on this- my first change- it uses synthetic filter media and the reviews were very good. My plan is to go 7500 miles between changes. I'm sure some will think thats pushing it, but plenty of folks feel like the SYN oil can easily go 10K. My concern was the size of the filter- its the same size of my lawn mower! Someone mentioned using a Nissan MAXIMA filter that may be a little longer, but a quick check reveals that my 2015 doesnt appear to have the extra space for a longer filter. I'm using Walmarts SuperTech synthetic oil 5-20. Yes, Nissan prefers the 0-20 or the 5-30 DINO, but thats how Supertech sells theirs and I live in the deep south, so the cold weather is not any concern (someone told me unless you were in N. Dakota or highter ethat the 5-20 w/be fine! Its got the highest API rating of any oils going (SN) and these government tests seem to be our best insurance as to how well different oils perform. It also costs the same as the nationally advertised oils regular petroleum lubricant.. I did change the copper crush washer on the drain plug that the dealer sells for a nominal cost (surprise)..........not sure it that needs to be done each time, but I'll check and decide when its due. Not set on the Fram Ultra filter just yet either- its pricey by my standards, so I may watch for NAPA's bi annual sale on their premium filters- not sure if they will be any less ($9) but those NAPA GOLDS are made by Wix and have very good ratings.
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue May 23, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic

nissanowner2017
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue S

I was able to use groupon to find a deal for $30 for 0w20. The groupon deal was $40, then there was a 25% off the deal.

Also, at this point, I am not certain if I can safely jack up the car without damaging the car or me :)

burrpenick
2012 Ford Focus
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

Everyday price at Walmart for SUPERTECH 100%FULL SYNTHETIC is $17.40 for 5 quart container. Its SN rated- the same as the others.

I use ramps, much easier and safer than jacking. You can find lower ramps too- and thats all you need for this job.

burrpenick
2012 Ford Focus
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

whizkidtn
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL (AWD), Premium package

I would not go beyond the 5K mile OEM recommended OCI, no matter what (while in warranty at least).

Return to “Rogue Forum”