Changed the Dash Lights

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
pathfinder9035
Car: 2001 Nissan pathfinder

i just bought red ones i will post pics when i get them cant wait.

slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

i found it very easy to remove just 2 screws in the top and then kinda wiggle the cover out than 4 screws holding in the cluster and your in.

dont know what your problem is with the cluster but changing bulbs doesnt hurt even try switching them.

Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

whoa lost track of this thread.....slick if you want im fine with you taking a look at my gauges, ive taken it apart before....168 bulbs that i had didnt fit

02pathfinderle
Car: pathfiner le 2002

#74 bulbs replace the following bulbs:17 18 37 70 73 79 85 86 2721

Introducing the Tri-Power 3 LED Bulb

The Widest, 3x Brighter - Best #74 Leds Ever Made!

Designed especially for gauges, and applications requiring a large uniform field of bright light

Bulbs are 3/4" (20mm) x 3/8 (10mm)" diameter at widest point with T5mm base to fit standard #74 or #37 sockets

i just wanted to make sure before i order the bulbs i have the right one , u ordered the first bulbs they show on the page on the top? 3.99 each? plus i should get 2 bases if i dont wanna bother wiggling my old one out?

also im assuming my 02 path will only need 2 bulbs also like yours

sorry thanks for your help

02pathfinderle

also slickroger is the light distributed evenly in the cluster or is it just the pic, the pic looks like 60, 80 and 100mph is more brighter than the other parts of the cluster

slickroger

no its even you just lose the red and the dials fade a little more but the blue makes up for it fueler got the TRI-Power i got the matrix 3 LED.

I see theres a new Matrix 5 LED.

The lights work with the Dimmer so you can always lower it if its blinding you.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

slickroger wrote:I see theres a new Matrix 5 LED.
Damn it. Why did they have to wait until last minute to add those?

slickroger

yea that kind of upsets me too

i think im gonna see if my friend wants my current lights so i can buy those

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Wait a sec
slickroger wrote:Check it out - what do you think
I'm thinking 881km on 3/4 of a tank is damn good gas mileage, that's what I think. :P

slickroger

thats probably two tanks bro

02pathfinderle

thanks i just placed the order, i went for the matrix 3 also bc i think they look bright enuff from ur pic , it looks good to me, thanks again

ReKleineR
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Holy Monkies! I was just saying to myself whilst driving, "Man your gauge cluster sure is a bore... you should put LED's behind there, wait can you?"

I didn't quite say all of that to myself, but anyway I decided to see what everyone was doing here, and sure enough SlickRoger got it done, I'll shall do the same, but first! JDM yellow fog lights!

02pathfinderle

i need help i dont know wtf i did but i tried changing my dash bulb with the same bulb slickroger bought

i stil had all the wires connected to the cluster when i did it , with the car off , i put one bulb in on the right side and turned on the lights just to test it out, when i did that , the whole cluster started smoking , i quickly turned off the lights waited a few minutes , put back in the old bulb to make sure it still worked and it did

i figure i give it a few minutes to cool down , now i put the LED again back in but in a different way , when i did that it started smoking again

now the backround lights dont work anymore, the warning lights and odometer light, still works though

now did i f$% it up completley and need a new cluster or can i still fix it sumhow?

i dont know if it smoked bc i bought aluminations base for the bulb its a lil longer than the original one , u can see from the pic, the oem base is shorter

if i need a new cluster now my milege will be different right?

please any help im gonna post this in another forum too bc i need a quick response so please exclude the double post, i still have my cluster disconnected in my yard

02pathfinderle

the bulbs say 121 on them, maybe they sent me the wrong bulb even though they look the same?

02pathfinderle

anyone know what i did wrong or wat i should do?

02pathfinderle

bump still could use info

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

i dont have no idea what a ****ty situation man!!

02pathfinderle

yea i dont know wtf happened, it was supposed to be a simple mod, they are the same bulbs from alumination.com that slick roger bought, i dont know why it started smoking, the only thing i can think of is that i bought n used aluminations base for the led, n their base looks a lil longer from the toshiba OEM one , maybe the bulb touched sumthing? , has anyone here bought n used their base from the site?

also i dont know if its work me sending my cluster out to get fixed for $250-$300 or buying a used one for $100-$190 , only thing with a used one the milege would be different unless i find a direct match with my miles, i have 67k miles , but i heard sumthing that the ecu on sum cars stores the milege on there so if u buy a cluster with more or less miles it may automatically adjust, only thing is i havent had anyone confirm this with me for sure , not sure if anyone here knows

slickroger

thats a strange situation.

did you try using the original bases also.

the base bould be crap and not internally wired properly, that seems to be the only thing you have done different than I have.

i bought a #74 bulb

Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

sounds to me like pulling out your display snagged a wire or two and caused a short.....and since it was smoking i doubt anyrhing was fused. I hope if you get a new one it adjusts your odometer or else alot of us could potentially have double the mileage on our rides n we got hustled!

so sorry to hear about that man i hope it works out and fixes itself or something!

02pathfinderle

thanks for the replies back , i tried using the original base after wards , after it smoked already and it didnt work either with the led, then i tried putting back the standard bulbs in the OEM base and now the base strethced out too much from the LED bulb so the standard bulb just keeps falling out

i purchased the #74 bulb also like the one you showed in ur post so guess it had to be using thier base ,thats the only thing i can think of , their base is a lil longer u can look at the pics i posted maybe it was too long n touched sumthing inside the cluster ? , im not even sure

the dealer wants $8 for one bulb and base, they wont sell the base by itself, so if i want another base i have to buy a bulb from them

i have been calling junk yards like crazy in my area n out of the 100 i have called so far only 2 have the same cluster i need but with more miles on it , i talked to the dealer and they want $400 but then need to send it out to sumplace to have it programed with my miles on it

one dealer i called wanted $900 thats just insane, the junkyards want $200 but they not close to my milege yet, ebay had one for $100 buy it now but it was for a 2003 , it had the same features as my cluster with around the same milege but also had P R N D D1 D2 on the cluster as well, so if i would buy it i dont think they would light up if mine didnt have it

if the 2003 one would work with mine i would buy it but im not sure if it would work and the guy selling it doesnt know either so im still looking for a cluster, buyin it from the dealer sounds like way too much money for one

and if i do find a replacement used cluster i still kinda wanna put the LED in there again i do like the blue look , lol but i dont know if i wanna go thru this problem again , hopefully i just find a cluster with my same miles that works

if anyone here knows sumone i need a 2002 white face cluster for an LE with 4x4 drive displayed on there

james640
Car: nissan pathfinder

hi i have a 2002 and a2004 pathfinder and i was looking at the pic of the blu led dash so i got some just wanted to say thank's lookes phat i will put up pic's when i fix my cam

slickroger

glad to see everyone is using this info.

goodluck 02pathfinderle

vacious07pathfinder

hey man, your dash looks unbelievable. i don't know how you found the part numbers for you bulbs. also, what about the dash bulbs for the air controls you know?
Modified by vacious07pathfinder at 9:51 PM 12/27/2008

JonathanPrem
Car: 02 Nissan pathfinder 4WD SE

slickroger wrote:yea that kind of upsets me too

i think im gonna see if my friend wants my current lights so i can buy those
I'll buy them off you. .

volp
Car: 99 Infiniti QX4

I swapped out my instrument lights to blue as well. it looks great with the deck cuz thats blue too. the only problem is the climate control is still green. any way to swap that?

slickroger

its way to cold out here to be doing anything.

as soon as the weather starts to get warmer ill be trying to change those bulbs. i believe there probably just LEDs on a circuit board so it will take actual soldering to replace those bulbs i might go red because blue is taking over my whip.

Holidazed
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I just ordered 2 of the Matrix 3 led's. The blue looks great, can't wait to install this mod as well.

Regarding taking apart the dash...is is pretty easy to do? anything to watch out for or NOT do when taking out the screws? do I need to de-tach any wires or plugs?

i'm going to stick with using the stock bulb bases as I don't want to risk any smoking, but besides that I'm assuming that its easy to pop out the old bulbs and pop in the new ones.

any info or more pics regarding removal of the dash would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

slickroger

you've got my year truck and i found it really easy to do.

im not a mechanic or anything and i figured out how to do it on my own so with the help of this thread it should be a breeze for you.

KLL
Car: 99 Pathfinder SE

probably one of my first messages here in this forum.let me add photos of my dash LED lights similar to yours. But older version of pathfinder 98-99 R50. Ordinary gray face gauges. I realized that there is a blue tint under faces. So LEDs are white but result is blue.

My middle section is also full of leds. Only white ones. I repaired my BOSE main unit.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”