Carburetor on a VG anybody know of alternative to the Saudi distributor

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
datsun5ten
Car: 1970 datsun 510

ya of course man. my 510 is at my parents place and ill be going over there in a couple hours, so ill take some shots- and ya. they just milled the top of the manfold and i used Allen " plugs " to cap off the holes that were used for breathers... i think i had to cap 3 holes? - They ( vg30.com) offered to tap a port for a fogger nozzle but i ended up using a nitrous plate, and also to move the carburetor up so the linkage didnt hit the valve cover. there are a couple things to play around with- ill post pics later

borinh-hop-yard
Car: 73 & 71 510's 1959 ghia 1956 ford f-100 77 ford F250

Hey Dale.I was wondering if you modified a 300zx Distributor or a L-series Electronic.

It also appears the lost post had issues.

Been busy porting heads, just about ready to drop off my cams to get reground.

Thanks

datsun5ten

s*** sorry- i thought i posted up since, but i guess not..? I didnt yank my carb off to take pics of the porting from the carb adapter to the intake manifold but i snapped a couple of the top.. ugh?...

i modified a stock 300zx distributor- there all the same.. and dist caps are interchangeable.

pics show the " plugs needed " and milling..

TJcars2
Car: '87 Acura Legend

Details on the modded distributor please. You could be saving me a few hundred bucks.

borinh-hop-yard

Cool Dale!It doesn't look like the spacer is welded or they milled it after welding?

Love the Demon carb.

I have seen pictures on the web of a VG30 with a modified 280ZX dizzy.

Dropped off one set of VG33 cams yesterday to be reground.Need to finish porting the heads so I can have the machine shop work them over and check for coil bind and such with the reground cams.

datsun5ten

ya i need to take it apart and look again. its been a few years. i think they might have used 4 bolts to secure it down? not sure- maybe ill fart with it tonight - and ill take some pictures of my distributer and try to find the P/N for the protronix magnetic pickup.

I need to send my cams off , they are sitting on my hood right now- i think i am going to go with ( shnider **** ) ive only heard one bad feed back about them on the fourms. Then i can reassemble my heads and pick witch set of these i want to put on. hahhhh I ended up with a blue set..

borinh-hop-yard

I would be interested in what you think of the Cams when you install them.I have been looking at new Cam gears as well.X-mas came early for you!

TJcars2

So I decided that I'm using a 1980 280zx distributor. I might have to modify the shafts and gears however I'm going to make it work and I'll post pictures when it's done. It's vaccum advance with what i think is a magnetic pick-up. I'll find out.

datsun5ten

I cant remember- but i dont knowwwww if you can swap out the gear on the bottom of the dist.. it might be to long.. probably going to have to make a custom plate for it to bold onto.. stock holes might not work... and as far as the distributer cover.. i had to swap a few of mine around for the VG motors.. in order to clear the hood. good luck.. keep us posted.

TJcars2

Distributor's in and the gear's swapped. All I need it a hold down and to pick up my cap and rotor.

boring-hop-yard

Not sure if anyone is following this anymore.
I wanted to share my solution to for installing a carb on the VG30
I have installed a ford EDIS-6 with a 36-1 wheel on the crank with a VR sensor.
The distributor has been totally removed and I have a computor that I built from a kit that controls the advance.
I run a coil park from a ford explorer.
The car runs strong and I am very happy with this set up.
Crank fire ignitions run very smooth with the timing being rock solid.
The nice thing about this set up it's very basic and they perform very well.
If your intrested, here is some in-car video during our last race.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVEV33Ds ... re=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbodHyGu ... re=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrwOa3bO ... re=channel
Here are the folks that make the kit.
http://www.autosportlabs.org/
By far the hardest part was making the adapter for the 36-1 wheel to the crank and the VR sensor mount, everything else was very easy "for me"
I cant tell you how many people looked at our set up and came back and took pictures

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”