can the Leaf satnav be set to ignore chargers which are out of service

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
plawrie
Car: 2018 Nissan Leaf 40Kw

I live in Dundee, Scotland. I have a 2018 40Kw Leaf which I have owned for a year now. I mostly charge at home but occasionally take trips for which the return mileage exceeds the car's range so I have to look for chargers I haven't used before. I have set the satnav only to show fast-chargers (I learned about that after driving along suburban streets where the Leaf was directing me to someone's home charger!). So, a few weeks ago, realising that I didn't have enough left in the battery to reach home , I pulled into the Park'nRide at Broxden outside Perth Scotland. Alongside EIGHT Tesla chargers none of which were being used, there were three Chademos. The first one I tried was dead. The second one would only charge on AC, the fast DC wouldn't charge. The only working unit had someone on it and another car waiting. The Leaf Satnav showed me that there were chargers in the centre of Perth so I drove down and eventually found two chargers side by side, unsignposted in the corner of a multi-storey car park. When I connected to the first, it told me that I only had 8% remaining battery (which I obviously knew) and then came up Error. The second one did the same. I rang ChargePlaceScotland who run the back office functions for most of the chargers in Scotland and was told they were faulty. I later discovered they had been faulty for nine months!! Why can't the Satnav eliminate them from the search? I drove back to Broxden by which time the only working charger was free.
Last week I was in Edinburgh. ZapMap had comments that the two chargers nearest to the place I visited might not be working, so I headed for 'Newbridge, a major motorway intersection just outside Edinburgh, which the Satnav showed as having chargers available. They appeared to be in an industrial estate, satnav said I had arrived at the waypoint but I couldn't find the charger. So I programmed the satnav to a nearby hotel and conference centre. I found that charger but the Chademo would only show "Error" when I connected. Next Satnav pointed me to the airport long-stay carpark. "You have arrived at the waypoint" - but no sign of the chargers!!
Gave up on that, crossed the Forth Bridge to the park'n'ride on the north side. Once again - "You have arrived at the waypoint" but no sign of the charger despite driving round the carpark twice. Finally I went to another park'n'ride further north and eventually found a working Chademo.
Surely it is possible to flag faulty or missing chargers (in another case a passer-by told me after I had driven around a small carpark which the satnav directed me to, that the charger had been moved a year earlier!)
Does the Leaf satnav require regular updates or does it update itself from the internet. Also "You have arrived" does not appear to be particularly precise, the charger might be a 100 yards away, hidden around a corner.
Don't get me wrong, I love driving my Leaf, but I am becoming increasingly worried about driving outside its range in case I can't find a charger in an unfamiliar area.

Return to “Leaf Forum”