Can the leaf charge while driving?

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
Johneb66
Car: 2017 Nissan Leaf S

Bringing the dead back to life. I have a 24v 302 amp hour battery pack with its own BMS. Would it be possible to connect it to the BMS on the Leaf? Would I need to take the BMS off the battery pack to allow the leaf BMS to use the batteries. Anyone in the know? Thanks.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you mean using it as a "stranded recharge" device, you can use it to power an inverter to run a level 1 charger (or level 2, but you'd need a whopping big inverter). If you mean using it supplementally while underway, the problem is that the Leaf VCM and LBC software won't connect the charge port or circuitry under those circumstances. So you'd need to somehow wire around the charge relays, then use an inverter and charger interfaced directly to the LBC on the far side of the relays. The LBC would still need to be tinkered to know the power was there and do charge control. I suppose it might be doable, but not straightforwardly.

Johneb66
Car: 2017 Nissan Leaf S

I am looking as a "stranded recharge" device using a 24v to 240v 3000watt inverter. I loose about 25% efficiency doing it this way. But if your stranded you do what you have to do. I was hoping there would be a way to add the battery pack so the leaf would just see it as additional batteries. Oh well. Don't know if I want to work that hard.

Return to “Leaf Forum”