Can't get into programming mode for keyless fob

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Hamza321
Car: 2004 Nissan Maxima

Hamza321 wrote:
cambabs wrote:Yes mate. Mine is AU as well. And I've tried it on my friend's Tiida. It did the same
Hi Hamza321

I can't post a link but I can tell you where to find an instruction"
  • Go to Independent Locksmiths dot com dot au
    Click through to REMOTES > CAR REMOTES > NISSAN REMOTES > NISSAN PATHFINDER, X-TRAIL, 350
    Download the user guide on this page
    Go to page 2
Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I have not been able to get it to work.

Thanks
Rob
Just an update: Rob's provided trick works. But it's not working with my new remote (maybe my new remote is not transmitting). I've successfully completed all steps multiple times with no problems at all with my current remote (I wasn't able to do that without Rob's provided instructions). They work exactly as mentioned in these instructions. Maybe cambabs can update us if they worked for him. Big thanks Rob.
BTW what exactly is not working for you Rob?

Sam5

Hi,
I have 2000 infiniti i30, bought a key less remote (KBRASTU15) when i started progamming the hazard lights blink for the first time during the process and then when i turn the key to ACC and press lock button on remote it is not responding or programming. Please anyone help me with this issue, i have gone through many videos and been working on it since 2 days but no luck:(

JESUSBARRERA30
Car: 2004 Nissan Armada Pathfinder SE

:werd:

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

JESUSBARRERA30 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:48 pm
:werd:
The process for setting up the key fob ID starts here at page BL-65. >>> https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 4%2Fbl.pdf If you are looking to resister the key transponder to your vehicle, for security reasons, that can only be done by a Nissan dealership or authorized service provider.

JESUSBARRERA30
Car: 2004 Nissan Armada Pathfinder SE

How can program key fob without keys

mdmellott

JESUSBARRERA30 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:09 pm
How can program key fob without keys
You can't. If you lost all your keys, a dealership service can get you a new one. I bought a spare key w/transponder from Nissan. They didn't need an original key to cut me a new one but they did need the VIN and access to my Pathfinder to program something. For security reasons, they also needed my driver license and registration of the Pathfinder.

Dhc pathfinder
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder

Did anyone on this thread ever solve this problem? I am having the same issue with mine. I just got it a few months ago. I know the person who owned it had a fob but lost it before he sold it to me. When he had the fob it worked perfectly. I bought a new key fob from the dealer I tried programming it but it does not go into programming mode (I did the insert key 6times method). I called a locksmith to come and program the fob and he said that it shows it has five slots for it to be programmed but he can’t get it to go into programming mode either.

I checked all door sensors work fine, hood sensor looks fine too. I unplugged battery for a min then redid the programming instructions and still no luck.

If anyone else knows anything that can help let me know. If you have any questions also let me know.

Thank you!

mdmellott

Dhc pathfinder wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:07 pm
I checked all door sensors work fine, hood sensor looks fine too. I unplugged battery for a min then redid the programming instructions and still no luck.

If anyone else knows anything that can help let me know. If you have any questions also let me know.
If you have the right transponder key and the correct remote, setting up the remote ID should work without the need of a locksmith or any special programming application. We have the same '02 Pathfinder. I bought my remote off Amazon. It took me only a couple of minutes to set up my cheap aftermarket remote using the steps outlined in the factory service manual. (see page EL-336) >>> https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 2%2Fel.pdf
Attachments
'02 Pathfinder Key & Remote.JPG
'02 Pathfinder Key & Remote.JPG (33.43 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 2%2Fel.pdf
See EL-321 and EL-336, and the wiring diagram on EL-316. Note that the driver and passenger door switches have two throws, both must work for fob programming to initialize. Voltage on both Green/Orange and Red/Black must both go to 0V when the switch is free and to voltage when the switch is pushed.

Your ride has an SEC, prehistoric ancestor of the BCM. The receiver for the Remote Keyless system (RKE) is internal to the SEC. Since it won't enter programming mode, assuming the door lock switch works correctly to lock and unlock the doors, it's possible the key insertion switch is inop (does it ding when the key is left in the cylinder?). It's also possible you're simply inserting/removing the key improperly. Doing it too slowly or too quickly, not removing the key completely between insertions, or not reinitializing from scratch after a failed attempt, will all cause the procedure to fail or abort. If you're sure the key insertion switch, door lock/unlock switch, and door lamp switch all work properly and you're sure you're doing the insertions correctly, then you probably have a bad SEC.

Dhc pathfinder

So the door lamp switch works properly, the driver side door lock switch works properly, everything else seems to be working fine. But the door lock switch on the passenger side is not working properly, sometimes I lock the door and I have to press it several times before it works.

Regarding the ignition switch it does not ding when the key is left in it, but there is a chime the sounds if the door is open.

Anything else I should check? I’ll take any suggestions.

Thank you!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The passenger lock switch not working could be causing a problem. The master switch and passenger slave switch are on a bit-bang local LAN link with the SEC. That allows the switches to do the roll-down-roll-up thing when the fob buttons are held. If the link is messing up then the BCM may be rejecting the program command. See if your roll-down function works for both front windows when using the key cylinder instead of the fob, if it doesn't then either one of the switches is bad or you have a wiring issue with the LAN.

Dhc pathfinder

Ok I’m going to buy a passenger lock switch because either way the one it has is faulty. How do you do the roll-down function with the key cylinder?

I will try the roll-down function and then get the switch and see what it does.

Thank you!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Dhc pathfinder wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:40 am
How do you do the roll-down function with the key cylinder?
When you turn the key cylinder in the door to "unlock" and hold it there for several seconds, the front windows should both roll down. Holding it similarly at "lock" should roll them back up. Once you get a fob programmed, the lock and unlock buttons on the fob should do the same thing when held.

Dhc pathfinder

Oh ok thank you.

So I tried the roll-down function with the key and it worked perfectly, the windows go down if I hold open the key and they go up when I hold it to lock.

I haven’t gotten the switch yet so I will do that this week and see if that works. If anything else comes to mind let me know :)

Thank you!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Try programming again. Sometimes if a cylinder switch sticks in the "lock" position it will cause the SEC/BCM to wig out, but because the window is closed the problem is sort of invisible. I can tell you those switches are a bit infamous for malfunctioning and causing wet interiors in the middle of the night. Working the switch may have unkinked something, so it's worth a try to see if it will take a fob now.

Dhc pathfinder

I tried the roll-down function and it keeps working. I haven’t changed the passenger side electric lock switch. I tried re programming the key fob again but it’s still not going into programming mode.

Should I go ahead and change the passenger side electric switch or is there something else I should check before starting to change parts?

Thank you for all the input and help I appreciate it. :dblthumb:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. No, I'd say change the switch and see what happens. That's pretty much a Hail Mary, because if the roll-down works first time every time then the LAN link is good. So if the switch doesn't do it, a bad SEC is all that's left. That could be very problematic, because all of that stuff is out of production and most of it can only be got from Amayama or other Japanese vendors if it's available at all.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”