Can't believe this s***...(airbag light)

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
98_Q45

Meant to post this the other week but got busy...

Long story short: took the Q in for an appointment at the actual infiniti dealer for another airbag light diagnostic (Had this done couple years ago and worked fine for several months. Turned on car one morning after a road trip, light back to blinking). And it's been that way now since last year.

Anyhow, came back and told me that they couldn't access it. Non of their scan tools would read it. This is after I brought like 2 different scan tools myself, each at $100+ a pop. Returned.

Figuring it was my used clock spring being defective, I replaced that with a new aftermarket that recently got marketed on eBay. Finally. But Airbag light still blinks. Unbelievable.

I know it's just a minor infraction, and I'm about to just go the electrical tape over the air bag word, but it just boggles me I can't figure it out. I could take it to a different infiniti that originally reset the light, but $159 or $179 for diagnostic is just stupid to me. I shouldn't have to pay that much just to turn off a light. That's not to be cheap, but it's just that airbags don't really mean much to me anyway lol. I've been in numerous accidents (not in this car of course) and the airbags never deployed. Which is a good thing. I just don't like the blinking red light constantly saying "may day" while driving

If it matters: my turn signals don't snap back into place either. Happened at the same time the original clock spring was replaced. Must have something to do with the combination bracket behind that because I brought a used turn signal and it still didn't work.

Why do these little things so hard to fix lol.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

98_Q45 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:13 pm
Anyhow, came back and told me that they couldn't access it. Non of their scan tools would read it. This is after I brought like 2 different scan tools myself, each at $100+ a pop. Returned.

Figuring it was my used clock spring being defective, I replaced that with a new aftermarket that recently got marketed on eBay. Finally. But Airbag light still blinks. Unbelievable.
If the ACU won't talk then there's a problem with it or the wiring, nothing external like the clockspring will cause non-communication. On a '98 there's a good chance the dealer's Consult3+ won't work to read it, find a dealer (Nissan or Infiniti) who has a Consult2 with a direct Consult adaptor.

98_Q45 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:13 pm
If it matters: my turn signals don't snap back into place either. Happened at the same time the original clock spring was replaced. Must have something to do with the combination bracket behind that because I brought a used turn signal and it still didn't work.
Sounds like the replacement clockspring wasn't snapped all the way in flat, and now the ka-ka mouting is preventing the directionals from working.

98_Q45

Update: finally got a local small shop to hook it up to a scanner and get a code last week. Unbelievable. Infiniti dealer versus hole in the wall shop: hole in the wall shop wins. They pulled the code leading to the airbag control module. Not sure why it’s faulty, but I just ordered a new used one (considering it’s $700+ new). Hope it works. Dealer would have charged a whopping $159-179 (seems to vary by city) just for that. However, they might of been able to turn it off again, unfortunately this shop wasn't able to.

As for the turn signal, I also went ahead and ordered a new used one that’ll include the complete clockspring and combination assembly TOGETHER with both arms attached, hopefully avoiding any errors in disassembly by anyone else. Kind of annoying ordering such pointless parts that I’ve never needed to replace in my 97 Maxima, but I am OCD about basic routine parts not working. Not to mention the steering wheel/turn signal has been making clicking noises while turning, and when this first started…and it wasn’t long before the airbag light came back on.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”