DIY: Cabin Air Vent Filter

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

roguester wrote:Not difficult but Nissan engineers can learn a lot on the simplicity of accessing the cabin filter on a Toyota where all you have to do is open the glove compartment extending past the stop tab and the filter slides behind it w/o any compressing the sides of filter or bending it to get by of an in a way brake and gas pedals as in the Nissan
Actually some Nissan's use this design... and easy to access cabin filter behind the glove box. My '03 Altima had this feature. The '07 and newer Altima's and surely other Nissan's have this feature as well.

However, the Rogue being a 'global' vehicle I guess Nissan decided to use a centrally located HVAC unit. This allows the RHD Qashqai (Europe) and Dualis (Japan) to share the same HVAC system as the Rogue to reduce engineering/parts costs. The downside is poor access to the cabin filter. I really do not see any other way they could have designed it and keep the same system for RHD and LHD models.

roguester
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD, 06 Altima 2.5 S special

philipa_240sx wrote:
Actually some Nissan's use this design... and easy to access cabin filter behind the glove box. My '03 Altima had this feature. The '07 and newer Altima's and surely other Nissan's have this feature as well.

However, the Rogue being a 'global' vehicle I guess Nissan decided to use a centrally located HVAC unit. This allows the RHD Qashqai (Europe) and Dualis (Japan) to share the same HVAC system as the Rogue to reduce engineering/parts costs. The downside is poor access to the cabin filter. I really do not see any other way they could have designed it and keep the same system for RHD and LHD models.
Yes you have very good point, standardizing the design brings lower cost. It's all about the 5 S's

sileung

Thanks for the additional information Kerrton. I am just used to the cabin filters being located behind the glove box which was much more simple =).

jmcavalieri
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue AWD SL

I'm curious to see how my filter looks after 26,000 miles and about 14 months of ownership... Glad I just ordered the filters. Hope to do this in a few days.

psfod3
Car: 08 rogue

I just bought a cabin filter today for $23 plus tax at the dealer. It came in a thin clear plastic wrap with no instructions. The filter has absolutly no arrows on the side to show air flow direction. I pointed this out to the parts maneger as I read in numerous posts that the filter was air flow directional. After looking at it he said it was exactly the same on both sides and since there were no arrows to signify air flow direction it did not matter which way I put the filter in. The Part # listed on the clear plastic as well as the filter is 999M1-VS007 . The word PET is also written on one side of the filter with the long # A70111A1400001. Can anyone please tell me whether I was sold the right part as contrary to past posts this filter is not air flow dependent and does not seem to be that flexible?

philipa_240sx

You have the correct part number. I posted it near the beginning of this thread.

My NAPA filter had a flow direction. However, the OEM Nissan filter did not.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I installed a WIX brand OEM spec filter, and it do NOT have air flow direction arrows either, and I agree with your service advisor, it appears to be symmetrical and shouldn't matter which way the air flows through.

boooey

roguester wrote:Rockauto sells them for $10.29 + shipping part #QR25DE for Rogue.I just paid $34. at the dealer for my Toyota Matrix I think it's a rip-off for a small paper filter. That's the last time for me at the dealer.
Has anyone ordered these filters from RockAuto lately? it appears their part number has changed.. Its now WIX Part # 49352

Is this still the best and quickest place to get it from online?thanks!

roguester
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD, 06 Altima 2.5 S special

boooey wrote:
Has anyone ordered these filters from RockAuto lately? it appears their part number has changed.. Its now WIX Part # 49352

Is this still the best and quickest place to get it from online?thanks!
I bought from Freshcabinair.com through ebay 2 pack for 19.98 or 1 for 11.99 shipping is 4.99. There is also cheaper filters listedon ebay

boooey

roguester wrote:I bought from Freshcabinair.com through ebay 2 pack for 19.98 or 1 for 11.99 shipping is 4.99. There is also cheaper filters listedon ebay
thanks, I also just bought the freshcabinair one. it arrived in like 3 days, and they gave me a 5% off coupon.

Thanks to this site and everyone who posted here, I knew exactly what to expect when changing the filter.

It took around 10 minutes, and was really pretty easy.My old filter was really dirty too. I had about 20k miles on it.
Modified by boooey at 7:12 AM 11/30/2009

NicolesRogue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S

Bought my filter at murrays, for $14.99 plus tax. Had to order it, 2 days. Not bad. I'ma try and change it this weekend. Thanks guys.

psfod3

do you plan on removing the gas pedal or just bending it? I wonder if some brands other then nissans are made more bendable to deal with the issue.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

I have changed mine and the filter is quite flexible...just bend it a little to squeeze it into place and it will pop back into shape when it is positioned correctly

kluth

gjp0928 wrote:Thanks for posting the pictures and guide. I just changed the cabin filter in my 2008 Rogue SL AWD (22,000 miles) and the pictures were a great help. I have a few additional comments that others might find helpful:

(1) I found, by accident, that you can pop the console panel off by hand if you grab the panel (with you left hand) at the top in the area above the accelerator pedal about where the panel "bubbles out". If you give the panel a "jerk" it will pop off although in some cases prying at the same time with a screw driver as shown in the picture might be necessary.

(2) I removed the filter cover plate by prying/pushing down on the the arm at the bottom of the plate. Reference photo #2, the arm is right at the tip of the pinky finger of the hand in the photo.

(3) The hardest thing I found was getting the leading edge of the new filter to line up with the slot. What worked for me was twisting the left end of the filter counter-clockwise while twisting the right end (the end that goes in first) clockwise. This allowed bending the filter just enough to line it up with the slot and clear the accelerator pedal and brake. Once the filter is lined up with the slot you can carefully rock and slide the filter into place. There is no need to remove or do anything to the accelerator or break pedals

(4) Running the driver's seat back as far as it will go gave me a little more room to fit my body in enough to reach the filter location. If you are a big person or wear bi-focals (like me) then the job is harder. A drop light or flashlight is also hepful.

(5) Panel comes off as above but be aware that the front of the panel, about 6in back, slides onto a 4in long shiney metal piece. Line it up when reinstalling panel and slide panel forward to engage. Then just line up and push on clips. If metal piece is not engaged front of panel is not secure.

(6) It might be helpful to blow out the filter compartment before installing new filter.

Now that I've replaced this filter once myself there is no way that I will pay a dealer nearly a $100 dollars to do it. After you've done it once its nothing more than a five minute job after that. The old filter was pretty dirty so they do need to be changed at least yearly.

triedntrue
Car: Nissan Rogue

thanks for this guide guys. paid $98 for labor a year ago for this thing. followed
the instructions here and bought filters in freshaircabin.com as per suggestion
from one of the posts here. saved a lot of money and time. did it for like 10 minutes.
thanks again.

kerrton

I just ordered from freshcabinair.com, under $20 bucks for a 2 pack and shipping was $7 bucks to Canada. I still have two left from my rockauto order last year, but the reason I orderd these is because they appear to be more than paper filters, as they claim "100% of exhaust gases are filtered out" - I'm curious to see how they achieve this claim. The ones on ebay are a good price only if you order multiples to make the shipping worthwhile but they make no claims related to exhaust gas filtration.

bboard
Car: 2009 Rogue SL AWD Premium Iridium Graphite

Replaced cabin airfilter today for 1st time with 26km on the car.

Dealer A in Vancouver wants $40 for the filter so I called Dealer B and found it for $24...Dealer A also wants $100 to get it done all for me...I didn't want to wait to order it online.

Thanks for the instructions here and included instructions from the box. I got this done in 10mins, no tools required.

kerrton

I'm in Canada, and the cheapest site and best product I found was at http://www.freshcabinair.com/

The claims are that it also removes exhaust gases, which I'm a little skeptical about but it's a good product nonetheless and shipping was like 5 bucks, filter was 10. Shipped very quickly.

Rogue2008
Car: 2008 Venom Red Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Premium Package

I usually buy 3M filters from walmart and cut each into 4 pieces. Surround them by duct tape and use them to replace. Works great and cheap and perhaps better quality too.

Wildcat3

Thanks again to everyone for posting this. We just got a used '09 Rogue S. I bought the two-pack filter from the sources listed. Shipped fast and swapped out the old one in less than 15 minutes. A little cramped, but easy peasy.

Although my dealership was only charging $65 to replace the cabin filter, I'm still glad I did this myself and saved the $$.

simonl

I just replaced my cabin filter for the first time with 52,000km on the car. The filter was black and disgusting; I should have changed it out a long time ago :facepalm:

I picked up a Micronair filter from Canadian tire and got the job done in about 10 mins thanks to the helpful tips on this thread.

aidan1230
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Silver Ice)

This is a great thread. I found it just before my 30K mi service appointment and ordered the air filter from RockAuto. It was $14 and some change with shipping, and the dealer wanted to charge me over $70! These instructions were great! It took some wiggling to get the filter in (plus the folds in mine went the opposite way), but I got it done in about 20 minutes. My husband had to get the filter cover off for me, but I had the definite size advantage when it came to gettting the filter in. :)

And I felt a huge satisfaction at the surprised look on the service manager's face when I told him I'd already changed it.

RogueFlyer
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Thanks to ENZO100 for the pics and GJP0928 for the follow up, I changed my filter in about 15 minutes. I still wish there was a Chilton’s or a Haynes manual for the Rogue though since I will do everything I can that is not covered under warranty. I purchased 3 filters for $4.59 each and 11.33 shipping for a total of $25.11. The dealer is a rip-off. The site is http://www.logical-source.com/2008-NISS ... 11455.html
Thanks again all.

philipa_240sx

RogueFlyer wrote:I still wish there was a Chilton’s or a Haynes manual for the Rogue though since I will do everything I can that is not covered under warranty
You can find the OEM manuals here... way better than Chilton or Haynes:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Rogue/

rrs26ja
Car: 2008 Rouge, 1998 Maxima

I just changed my cabin filter, no big deal. I removed the knee panel (just pull it off), removed the cover for the cabin filter (pry off with a screwdriver) then pull the old filter out bending and or twisting it a little. Then just reverse. Took be about 10 min and cost me $10.49 for the filter.

No need to remove the gas pedal, loosen the brake pedal........

philipa_240sx

rrs26ja wrote:No need to remove the gas pedal, loosen the brake pedal........
Yes, it is possible to change the filter without removing the gas pedal. A step-by-step was shown earlier in this thread.

mx6bfast
Car: 08 Rogue SL FWD

Wow that was easy. I'm good at replacing air filters :biggrin: but never tried this. 39k miles and the service dept said $66 + tax. Checked on here, paid $12.49 for one from NAPA, less than 10 minutes to do even with coming back upstairs to re-check steps. It took me longer to find the location of the filter than anything else. I wasn't looking far enough back. Didn't have to use a screw driver at all!

Replaced both my air filter and cabin filter in tops 15 minutes, while watching a toddler around my car in the garage. First time I had changed the cabin filter (dirty) and 2nd on the air filter (dirtier). ~$30 for both, dealer wanted to charge ~$100 + tax for both. Nice savings and both I and the car should breathe better for our move to Florida next weekend. :werd:

psfod3

As no one seems to be removing the gas or break pedal. Does anyone know if any brands of filter are more bendable then others. The one I bought from the dealer was pretty stiff.

88GrapIridium
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue 2wd

Is it just me or my browser? The photos on how to change this filter which I suppose would be very helpful, are cut-off on the right side by a verticle gray column. Unfortunately I suspect that most of what one needs to see is missing due to this right-side truncation. Moderator: any way to fix this so that the full width of the photos are shown? Thanks for a great forum; it is very helpful.

philipa_240sx

88GrapIridium wrote:Is it just me or my browser? The photos on how to change this filter which I suppose would be very helpful, are cut-off on the right side by a verticle gray column.
Thanks for pointing this out. I will fix the photos shortly...

OK, they are fixed. Our new forum software also has a feature that shows a smaller image in the post. You can click on it to get the full size version.

Return to “Rogue Forum”