DIY: Cabin Air Vent Filter

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

Thought I already did... guess not.

I have added to the list.

psfod3
Car: 08 rogue

My 08 Rogue is around a year old and I am ready to change the cabin air filter. are most do it yourselfers actually removing the gas pedal or just bending it and pushing it in.

enzo100
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

I'm not sure why you would waste your time removing the gas pedal when all you have to do is bend a filter that is already flexible. I think the gas pedal removal was a scare tactic by Nissan so you would take it in.

roguester
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD, 06 Altima 2.5 S special

enzo100 wrote:I'm not sure why you would waste your time removing the gas pedal when all you have to do is bend a filter that is already flexible. I think the gas pedal removal was a scare tactic by Nissan so you would take it in.
Agree, very easy for a DIY, save your money you can buy the filters at http://www.rockauto.com. for about $10. + shipping, part WIX #49352
Modified by roguester at 2:17 PM 8/30/2009

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Great site, online catalogue with every part imagineable for the Rogue, LOW prices, but the only problem is that shipping to Canada is $27 bucks, which cancels out any price savings. Disappointing.

roguester

kerrton wrote:Great site, online catalogue with every part imagineable for the Rogue, LOW prices, but the only problem is that shipping to Canada is $27 bucks, which cancels out any price savings. Disappointing.
true but if you buy a few for the years ahead as you are supposed to change the cabin filter every year or get some engine air or oil filters you will still come out ahead than buying at a Nissan dealer

tomdewey
Car: 2008 Rogue SL

Nice job with the photos and helpful tips! Much appreciated. I've ordered filters from RockAuto.com and plan to go at it using your info. FYI, I had similar experience with connecting trailer lights. Nissan claims that the Rogue SL is pre-wired for trailer lights, yet they wanted nearly $1000 to install a trailer hitch and connect the wires. I bought the wiring kit on the web for $40 - removed the shrouds on either side in the hatch area and connected the wiring myself in just over an hour. I could probably do it again in 30 minutes now that I know what to expect.

psfod3

If you change the cabin air filter yourself please let us know whether you did it the official way removing the gas pedal, or the easy way of just squeezing it in.

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

I did it a few weeks ago and simply 'squeezed' (more like twisted) it in.

Very easy - but took a couple tries to align correctly.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

I did it yesterday night when I received my filters: Instructions are for the Sentra but are the same for the Rogue.It said 5 minutes to change it, it took me about 7, because I spend about 2 minutes to find how to put filter door in place.Do not hesitate to squeeze the middle part of the filter to insert it, it will take it form back as soon as you move it back and forth a bit in its location.The most important tool you need is a flashlight as it is dark over there.

For my fellow canadian friends, I found a cheaper seller than Rockauto (shipping is a little bit expensive over there): http://shop.ebay.ca/trustednam...cat=0Multiple shipping is inexpensive (I bought 4 for about $10 shipping).For this price, do not expect bubble wrap and so on, they wrap the boxes together and write your address on it, but they arrive without any damage.

roguester

Pescakl1 wrote:I did it yesterday night when I received my filters: Instructions are for the Sentra but are the same for the Rogue.It said 5 minutes to change it, it took me about 7, because I spend about 2 minutes to find how to put filter door in place.Do not hesitate to squeeze the middle part of the filter to insert it, it will take it form back as soon as you move it back and forth a bit in its location.The most important tool you need is a flashlight as it is dark over there.

For my fellow canadian friends, I found a cheaper seller than Rockauto (shipping is a little bit expensive over there): http://shop.ebay.ca/trustednam...cat=0Multiple shipping is inexpensive (I bought 4 for about $10 shipping).For this price, do not expect bubble wrap and so on, they wrap the boxes together and write your address on it, but they arrive without any damage.
International shipping stated is $24.US by usps on ebay site not $10. but the filters are approx $10 Cnd. Not a bad price

kerrton

CAUTION, PLEASE READ:

I just replaced my filter for the first time, took 15 minutes, Enzo100 did a great job on the walkthrough including the pics, but I have one change to make everyone aware of:

When removing the filter cover, DO NOT pry in the middle with a screw driver to get it off (see photo #2). This cover is secured at the top and bottom, and the ONLY way to get it off properly without potentially damaging it is to pull down on the arm at the bottom, see the pinky finger in pic #2. You have to pull down pretty hard to get the tab to release, but since you're pulling in the proper location you can't damage anything. If you start prying in the middle of the cover you can definately damage it, and if you do it may not ever seal properly and you'll have air leaks, or you can break one of the tabs and it won't go back on at all.

Not to worry though, if you follow this procedure you can't hurt anything and it is definately a DIY job that anybody can accomplish, just be prepared for a pain in the butt job because there isn't much room to work.

Another tip, when taking off the main cover in pic #1, don't stick a screw driver in the gap, this will just scratch the plastic and isn't the easiest way either. Just grab at the bottom right corner and pull, it'll snap out nice and easy, then once you get the right side free, you slide it to the right to remove. To replace it after you're done, examine the back of the panel closely, you'll see a slot on the left side. This slides into a metal prong to secure the left side, then the right side just pushes back on.

It's kinda hard to describe, sounds more complicated than it is, just examine both the main cover and the filter cover carefully once off, and you'll see what I mean. My main point was to forget using a screwdriver.

One more thing, it can be tough to get a grip on the old filter to pull it out, I kinda destroyed it in the process because I used a needle nose plyer to grab it and pull it out. And I had a hard time getting the new filter in, because it's larger than the opening, you just have to twist it, fiddle with it and gently force it in, then it bounces back to it's original shape after it's in.

I have 21,000 km and 18 months of driving, and the filter was filthy. I vacuumed all the crap that fell out of the slot, and I turned on the fan to high with vents closed up top which flushed out a bunch more crap from the filter slot, so that the new filter won't get a blast of dirt shortly after being installed. Good DIY, don't pay the dealership over 100 bucks for a 20 mintue job, especially since it needs to be done quite frequently!!
Modified by kerrton at 8:07 PM 10/5/2009

psfod3

Am I correct to assume you did not do anything to the gas and brake pedel?

Pescakl1

roguester wrote:International shipping stated is $24.US by usps on ebay site not $10. but the filters are approx $10 Cnd. Not a bad price
Sorry Roguester, it seems my purchase did not go unnoticed .I paid 46.41 US$ for 4 filters shipped to my home.It seems they saw they were losing money on their shipping, since then, they change the shipping fee to a fixed one.

For information, I did not use any screwdriver to remove the cover, just pulled it out, with not that much effort.To remove the old one, push it in the middle to squeeze it and you will be able to grab the upper part of the filter.

No need to touch either the gas or the brake pedal to do the job.

kerrton

Correct, no need at all to remove the brake or gas pedel, the filter is located above the pedels so it wouldn't really help much to remove them.

After you do this job once, you're good to go next time and it'll probably take you 10 minutes. I still can't believe my Nissan dealer wants 140 bucks for parts and labour. The filter is just a flimsy little thing that I got for 10 bucks US from rockauto.com, and less than a half hour of work not requiring any special tools.

roguester

Pescakl1 wrote:
Sorry Roguester, it seems my purchase did not go unnoticed .I paid 46.41 US$ for 4 filters shipped to my home.It seems they saw they were losing money on their shipping, since then, they change the shipping fee to a fixed one.

For information, I did not use any screwdriver to remove the cover, just pulled it out, with not that much effort.To remove the old one, push it in the middle to squeeze it and you will be able to grab the upper part of the filter.

No need to touch either the gas or the brake pedal to do the job.
Just curious what was the condition of your filter and after how many kls

Pescakl1

I never changed it before, so it has been one year and a half and about 34.000kms from what I remember (I barely use the car these days).

About its condition? It really needed to be changed.You should change it at least every year, maybe every 9 months if you are in a dusty area or have some sort of allergy.

I will soon change my wife's as it approaches the one year limit.

roguester

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...00156

Found the above on ebay and ordered Sunday evening and Monday confirmed it was shipped with a tracking # (now that was quick)price 11.99 US.$ + 5.99 shipping to Canada by USPS any additional items 1.99 shipping Shipping to US 3.99For anyone interested here is the sellers store http://www.freshcabinair.com has 100% feedback on ebay

philipa_240sx

NAPA Auto Parts is carrying the cabin air filter: Part # 9352 or FIL9352

I was able to source one in Canada... cost is a bit more. It delivers from their warehouse within 24 hrs usually. I will report back more one I replace mine

FYI: At NAPA stores in the US, the filter is $15.49:

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLP...36222

tomdewey
Car: 2008 Rogue SL

Thanks for your post and photos - most helpful. It took me less than 5 minutes from start to finish because I knew what to expect. Savings? $100 plus (I bought 3 filters online for $30).

I had a similar adventure when wiring trailer lights. The SL is supposedly pre-wired for lights, but you have to pull the shrouds in the back compartment to get at the trailer light connector. The dealer wanted $250 for this simple job. It took me less than an hour with no experience - I could probably do the next one in 20 minutes!

These examples of "obstructive engineering" are designed to pad the dealer's pockets and befuddle owners. The downside of dealing with Nissan. Otherwise I'm most pleased with my Rogue - 35,000 miles with absolutely no problems, and 30+mpg at 60 mph.

kerrton

I only agree to a point. Like you said, it only took you a few minutes to perform a task that the dealer charges a large sum of cash to do for you. So if it only took you a few mintues, then the engineering can't be that "obstructive", I think the fault lies with the Nissan service that is charging the living hell out of you for a simple job that takes very little time.

For example, I changed my cabin fiter in 20 minutes, paid about $10 for the part. It was a very easy job, a little frustrating but 20 minutes nonetheless, and of course the manufacturer could have designed it to be a little easier on me, but again, it took me 20 minutes. Nissan charges $140 bucks for this simple job (parts and labor)!!!! This is robbery, and they price out at roughtly an hour shop time and roughly 40 bucks for the filter, which is such a rip off that it turns my stomach. This has nothing to do with the way the vehicle is designed and everthing to do with big Nissan dealerships having to rip people off to pay for their HUGE showrooms.

BTW, I also installed the trailer wiring, it took me 60 minutes and I went really slow and cautious, so I'm sure a Nissan tech whose done it before could do it 30 minutes....and charge $250.

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

kerrton wrote:This has nothing to do with the way the vehicle is designed and everthing to do with big Nissan dealerships having to rip people off to pay for their HUGE showrooms.
Agreed. They need to offset the high costs of running the showroom, since we all know how little profit is made actually selling the car itself.

What we need are 'authorized' service shops which do not have a car sales component. These places could charge slightly higher pricing compared to simple mom & pop private garages but still significantly less that the dealerships. They'd make a killing.

Alternatively, we could all keep positing DIY instructions with photos

This place rocks!

philipa_240sx

philipa_240sx wrote:NAPA Auto Parts is carrying the cabin air filter: Part # 9352 or FIL9352

I was able to source one in Canada... cost is a bit more. It delivers from their warehouse within 24 hrs usually. I will report back more one I replace mine
Did the filter swap tonight. The old one was nearly black and full of debris! Should've changed it sooner.

The NAPA filter is a perfect fit. But seeing what others have paid, it's a bit expensive. In the US, $15.49. Canada, nearly double at $28.99.

Guess I will stock up on some cheaper filters next time...

roguester

I called a Nissan dealer today out of curiosity to ask for the price of the cabin filter and was quoted $23.cndI already bought mine on ebay for much less.

psfod3

My dealer wants $43.00 for the filter. When you remove the side panel of the console do you have to be concerned about breaking any clips or can you just pull the side panel stright out ?

philipa_240sx

psfod3 wrote:When you remove the side panel of the console do you have to be concerned about breaking any clips or can you just pull the side panel stright out ?
Gently pry the panel open from the RH side closest to the seat (when looking straight at the panel). It's held by 2 clips that will 'pop' when disengaged. Once loosened, slide the panel towards the seat. If you pry from the opposite side (LH side), you may break the small tab that holds the LH side of the panel. The metal 'S shaped' tab in the lower right corner of the photo below is what holds the panel in place near the accelerator. This is the area you DO NOT want to pry. To replace the panel, slide the LH side in this tab first, then align and push the RH side in place until it 'pops'.

NOTE: I DO NOT recommend prying the small filter access panel with a screwdriver as shown in an earlier post (see photo below). Simply reach around/behind the bottom edge of the panel with one finger and push down to disengage the lower tab. You can see the 'L-shaped' lower tab at the bottom of the photo. Then just tilt up and out to disengage the top tab.

roguester

just received my cabin air filter from San Diego ordered from ebay. Shipped with US postal service, no taxes or dutyperfect fit changed at 23k kms, it came with *how to* instructions and 4 illustration pictures. I will be purchasing more in the future.Filter is TYC# 800126P and it's a directional filter

sileung

Like many of you, I don't want to dish out over $100 to get the filter replaced knowing that it's only a 20 minute job.

Even with the pictures that are posted, I am not quite sure of the entire process of how to take off/put on the panel.

I am concerned about breaking any clips and not being able to reinstall the panels.

Would somebody be able to make an instructional video on the cabin filter replacement procedure? Much appreciation.

kerrton

sileung,

I am not a Do it Yourself kind of guy, but I did this job myself and believe me it is soooooo simple. Here's all you need to know:

To remove the panel, just pull hard on the right side of it, 3 pressure clips will "pop" and release. They won't break, they're designed to pop in and out with force like this. Then, once the right side 3 clips have popped, slide the whole panel towards you/to the right, and it's off. Then just have a look a the back side and you'll immediately see how it slides into a slot to hold the left side in place, it's very obvious.

Then, remove the cover that holds the filter in place (see photos) - pull up on the BOTTOM of it, you'll see a lever to pull on to do this. It'll release gently. Set it aside and then just work on pulling the old filter out and sliding the new one in, this will take a bit of time because there isn't much room up there to get your fingers in, and the filter is a little larger than the opening so you have to fiddle with it, but just be patient and you can screw it up.

The snap the two covers back on and you're done, took me 20 minutes and if you're really cautious it might take 30. So easy, anybody can do it.

roguester

kerrton wrote:sileung,

I am not a Do it Yourself kind of guy, but I did this job myself and believe me it is soooooo simple. Here's all you need to know:

To remove the panel, just pull hard on the right side of it, 3 pressure clips will "pop" and release. They won't break, they're designed to pop in and out with force like this. Then, once the right side 3 clips have popped, slide the whole panel towards you/to the right, and it's off. Then just have a look a the back side and you'll immediately see how it slides into a slot to hold the left side in place, it's very obvious.

Then, remove the cover that holds the filter in place (see photos) - pull up on the BOTTOM of it, you'll see a lever to pull on to do this. It'll release gently. Set it aside and then just work on pulling the old filter out and sliding the new one in, this will take a bit of time because there isn't much room up there to get your fingers in, and the filter is a little larger than the opening so you have to fiddle with it, but just be patient and you can screw it up.

The snap the two covers back on and you're done, took me 20 minutes and if you're really cautious it might take 30. So easy, anybody can do it.
Not difficult but Nissan engineers can learn a lot on the simplicity of accessing the cabin filter on a Toyota where all you have to do is open the glove compartment extending past the stop tab and the filter slides behind it w/o any compressing the sides of filter or bending it to get by of an in a way brake and gas pedals as in the Nissan

Return to “Rogue Forum”