CA20DET build questions... This isn't a flame type of question so move along.

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I never had the slightest issue even when I was running the T04E on a bone stock engine with a tired #1 cylinder. You are manufacturing a problem in your mind because it doesn't exist.

Never tried to drift it, just grip. It still has an open diff an it doesn't play nice if I pick up a wheel. I think it might do an 18 in the quarter, but I know it will go about 75 on the highway. It still scoots along with 800lbs of junk in the bed too.

Igor laughs at this contrived "torque" you speak of.

dash
Car: s13 ca18

turbo selection in itself spells compromise. One-size-fits-all exists only 'in ya mind'.
Not manufacturing a problem, as there is none.... call it preference
My 4agze is a great little scoot-around. Why ? Torque, but..... it runs outta steam up top.
Some may see that as imaginary, but its a reality to many. Adding a t3/t4 would make it perfect.
It gets no better for a puny 1.6L 2400 pound daily
Simply a case of having your cake and eating it too

themadscientist

I got a chance to drive an AE86 with an AE92 supercharger engine in it. That was a really fun car! Later I drove an AW11 supercharger with the HKS overdrive pulley. BIG difference. That car was borderline scary in the wet. :ohno:

tommey
Car: S13 ca18det

Twin charging sounds fun, until you actually use it on the street.
Fuel economy will take a massive hit.
Maybe i`m just cheap.

themadscientist

A local guy did that to his AE92 with the old HKS kit. It wasn't any faster than a simple supercharged one and the piping run was like the love interest in a hentai anime. Screw that. Unless you are using it staged for huge pressures it just doesn't make any sense.

Vetal

I guess this is the case of "to each his own".
For me 120Nm at 1500rpm is just inadequate. Whoever is happy with this torque - I'm more than glad for him, but I will search how to improve this. Will it be added supercharger, or different engine altogether (perhaps M54 from BMW), I'm still gathering info :)

dash
Car: s13 ca18

corvette performance or corolla economy..... take your pick
If 'pulley downed' 3800 buick V6s can hit mid 30s mpg in a 3500 pound daily driven whale.... how bad is a clutched roots type blower gonna wreck fuel econmy of a DD 1.6/1.8L ?

Too bad I can't find Gerald's twincharge mr2 on the web any more. A really nice specimen
Yes like most HKS 'kits', the effect was disappointing. His kit was modified, then the performance became phenomonal
I have a magazine article featuring that car. Although it only ran mid 11s in the quarter, what the writer emphasized was how with aggresive throttle input from practically any rpm, the car would pin u in the seat so hard, it felt like the fabric left an imprint". Response was mind-boggling, especially for a 1.6L. A turbo or SC alone won't give u that

That's not even maxed out, plus there r several proven alternate paths to twincharge.
They're fantastic when they r set up right. Leave it alone if u feel its not worth it or doesn't work

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”