ca18de swap in nissan 200sx // s12 silvia

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
aux
Car: 88 corolla gt-s 95 civic dx

i didnt know where else to put this, as threre seems to be no spot under the nissan forums that is reserved for s12's ...

What is the TRUE weight of the s13 silvia Q's and does the s13 silvia Q's (ca18de) weigh more than the 240sx (ka24e/de) ??

...and

does the s12 200sx with the ca18et weigh more or less than the s13 Q's, and the 240sx?

im very curious to know the actual weight difference between the two, because i am heavily considering a ca18de.

i know that the 88-89 s13 Q's came with the ca18de, and from what i have seen and read they dont neccesarily seem to be all that slow, they seem to be a high revving engine that can rev and hold, like a bigger 4age.

what im going for here, is basically an emulation of the ae86 toyota corolla gt-s. since the s12 s bigger but not by too much, then im thinking the ca18de in the s12 would be what the 4age is in an ae86. basically just a bigger version.

im really geeked out on this idea, because i want a higher revving engine that i can control my sliding and corner entry/exit more tactfully with more throttle response precision, the way i can with my 4age going uphill.

also i want the dohc platform for an intro into the ca18det world, but i would like to go in n/a to start. if im thinking correctly, the ca18de should be just cutting it in terms of displacement, but have enough hp to make up without having to go too high to get it. basically, they put 1.8's in integras, which look to be around trhe same weight as the 200sx and the 240sx for that matter.

heres what i want to do:

-find a silvia Q's ca18de swap with everything included. -hopefully the de block is compatible with the s12 tranny, and if so hopefully the GR's are the same (any info on that would b awsome) -if not the use the Q's tranny-do the intake cam swap with another exhaust cam(read about this on a pulsar thread) for a higher L/D you just yank the exhaust cam from a de head and swap it in place of your intake cam.-shave the head a few thousandths-get those purple adj cam timing sprockets from ebay for liek 125 shipped for the set of 2 for the ca18de :D-roll w a good timing belt-new injectors-new 10mm wires, or get an 8mm accell v8 kit-relocate battery to rear-generiic short ram or cai-Q's harness and ecu-some sort of piggyback or afc to tune with thats compatible with the stock ca18de ecu.(not the one that came with the ca18et)-wideband to see whats really going on with my tune-93 octane only-8 lb flywheel for ca18det-stage 2 clutch-240sx exhaust catback, one of those ebay ones w the angled output/muffler section-megans all the way around, or s13 front suspension swap + midrange (500$) coilovers-s/d f+r rotors, ebc or like quality pads.-some sort of compatible, direct swap lsd rear end, like im thinking the one from the non turbo z32 300zx, ive heard it has a lower gearing, like a 4/11.

a 6 speed transission would be peaches and cream tro drive, but i realize thats asking way too much right now.

im thinking this will give me the 150-ish hp and 120-ish TQ im looking for, but with the precision controllability of a high revving n/a engine, but a strong one that i can daily drive with a decent suspension package to match.

i plan on running around 1.8-2.0 deg in front camber and .8-1.0 in rear camber. the negative camber on the front really helps assistance with steer-in on turns. its quite an advantage.

the type of roads that i will be using this setup on are twisty mountain backroads with a lot of hairpins, grades, banks, long drawn out drifty corners and balls-to-the-wall str8's. i drive roads like this to and from work almost every day so im looking for an n/a engine with high volumetric efficiency, decent power, and decent aftermarket support.

i know about these problems thus far, and would like some feedback from ppl who are experienced with the rwd ca18de setup.

-unknown ca18de rwd header that will work around usdm steering setups-unknown ca18 silvia Q's setup conversion driveshaft information for swapping the package into the s12-unknown true weight comparison between s13 Q's and s12 turbo-i read thre is a 5" diffrernce between shifter location on the s12 from the s13

i would be after the sr20de, or the ka24e/de, but the sr20 is too tall and bumps the hood and the ka24 would be an engine from a different platform.i want to go with the ca18de b/c of its closeness to what was already in the car.

i hope i can find some feedback from rwd ca18de folks on my idea for the setup i want to go with. i have searched and searched and have found very little info about the Q's and ca18de rwd's in general, but they seem to be quite a decent engine. they may not have oil squirters in the block like the 4age smallports but they may not need them either, apparently the crank and rods are the same between both the de's and the det's.

anyone with any info based on actual experience with the ca18de n/a rwd setup with good insight please reply. dont worry about replying if your going to say just get the det, or get an sr20, get the v6, get an ls-1, or anything else like that, im purely intrested only in the difference in weight between he s12 and s13, how much affordable budget-power can be made with the de, how practical it is, how much power or how it behaves in the vehicle compared to the ka24, the difference being in either the s12 or s13.

thanks to all who have read thus far.

Return to “Others”