Burnt clutch at 11000 miles

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

C'mon, folks...think. A guy come in here and calls himself "versaburntclutch." And then another. Their first posts.

This is common and happens on a lot of boards to discredit a product or manufacturer. Posters register and post a story of problems or bad experiences. The thing is, they don't have the problems and don't even own the product.

This happens frequently and you're naive to think that it doesn't go on. Propaganda and misinforation has been around since the beginning of time. The internet is a very quick way of doing this.

Someone is thinking about buying a Versa or Fit. They do an internet search. Metatags and and key words direct you to reviews and utimately, problems. Fake reviews and experiences make for a doubtful buyer.

Review sites have a problem with this as well. Plants from all backgrounds, some related to a favorable relationship with a company, write bogus glowing reports or reviews. Others post negative experiences even though they don't own the product so as to prop up another prodict instead.

I call it like I see it. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Look, many here are younger and are, well...gullible. Take the "grounding kits" for example. If you really want to believe that multiple 4 gauge wires are going to make your car faster, I'll sell you some gas tank pills to increase your mileage as well. It's your money.

There are legitimate concerns, problems and issues with cars. We all want to be informed and share our experiences. The fact is there are many out there who just troll forums for their own interests and post false information. Someone states they're a semi- retired 64 year biochemist. Maybe they are. Maybe they aren't. How would you know?

I'm just saying be prudent, skeptical, and don't believe everything you hear or read. Saying it doesn't make it true. Especially on the internet.

Did you ever have a gut feeling about something? Just a hunch? The burnt clutch posts don't pass the smell test, in my opinion. Most just lurk and glean information when getting info on a new car. Or they register and ask about current issues before buying. They don't just make their first post about it.

And even if it were true, how do we know this guy doesn't ride the clutch? Dumps the clutch and rides the car hard? Shifts abnormally? Tries to be street racer with all that 122 hp? What if the guy's really been abusive on the clutch and tries to blame Nissan and the car for the problems? Maybe he's just a liar. Maybe he isn't.

I think the posts are bogus. I think they're just stirring it up. I think they are jealous Fit owners.

VersaBurntclutch
Car: versa

Thanks a lot for that info! I wish i had that when i had the work done. I'll be going to the dealer the first thing next year. I'm still lunhapppy that the work wasn't covered under warranty. Also, do you have any info (or source of) on how long the job should take and normal price? That would help also.

thanks again

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

It is indee d, a disappointment but wear items are usually not covered by warranty.

Maybe somone's got a shop manual to estimate the labor time. I just hope they label all the bolts and nuts that will come off during the repair. Don't want to have any left over.

VersaBurntclutch
Car: versa

Well;a lot of verbiage and hot air.

If you want me to send you a copy of my repair bill, i'd be glad to do it. I don't know about the other poster, but my clutch did burn out in 11K and i've driven stick shifts for forty years & never worn one out (and yes, i do live in the hilly bay area near SF). Actually, I loved the Versa. It had great features and i was very happy until i began having problems engaging the clutch smoothly. That's why i brought it to the dealer. Yes, i am pissed that Nissan didn't back up the car warranty. If you like, you can verify that with the dealer - Hanlees Hilltop Nissan 510 222-4900. Ask them if they had a clutch rebuild on a 2008 Versa in Nov, 2008 that Nissan wouldn't cover. As far as the Fit goes, i chose the Versa because I thought it handled better when i test drove both of them. I'm sorry now that i didn't go with the Fit. I did have Honda's for many years and always had good luck with them. Several i owned for more than 70K miles and never burnt a clutch over the same type of driving which did the Nissan in. The other reason I'm pissed is that that Nissan fixed the clutch, but i still smell burning when i back into parking spaces. That has been reproduced by the dealer, but i've been told its "normal". No - I don't think that's satisfactory.

my_new_v
Car: 2008 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

Bubs daddy wrote:It is indee d, a disappointment but wear items are usually not covered by warranty.

Maybe somone's got a shop manual to estimate the labor time. I just hope they label all the bolts and nuts that will come off during the repair. Don't want to have any left over.
it depends on what happened with it. the factory clutch in the x-runners are plain crap. mine went out at 5k miles and i dont drive my truck bad. turns out all of the x-runner clutches are crap and the teeth keep braking. so mine was covered under warranty.

versaburntclutch...go to a different dealer, see what they say, if they say its "normal", then go to another. if they say its not normal, have them fix it and then call corporate and report that other dealer

ms_stylin_versa
Car: 07 Nissan Versa HB SL 6 Speed, Sapphire Blue, Sport Package & Tech Package

I have about 60,000 km on my Versa and I learned how to drive manual with this car and I have no problems with it.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

Nissan help forum

it is a lot for labour!!!

shenriquez84
Car: 1991 240sx - Sold 2004
2007 Nissan Versa

I bought my 2007 Versa on Sept of 2006. I've had it ever since, and right now the car has 115K. I must say I do drive the car very agressively, and this week my clutch has been sticking a lot. It has become very difficult to drive, and need to replace as soon as possible.
I do think that I could have gotten another 30K to 50K out of the clutch if it wasn't for the fact that I was teaching my girlfriend how to drive stick on this car.

carlos15
Car: 09 versa sedan 1.8l
window tint
white footwell lighting
1993 miata
ebay exhaust
greddy turbo kit
ebay interfooler
megasqrtui

115k miles is alot and if you drive aggresivly in a versa with these very bad clutches its mot going to last you another 30k it alos depends like stated above in what type of area you live. just my .02 and yes tecahing your gf how to drive is not a good ide EVER lol :facepalm: if you know how to change a clutch just buy it off of Courtesyparts.com and chang it yourself so you wont have to pay for all the other crap edit: (btw this thread has been dead since 2008) :dblthumb:

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

11K does seem super early for the clutch to go out. My dad bought a base Sunfire brand new back in 01 as a commuter car, and it has over 200K and is still riding on the original clutch! I would have fought hard with Nissan for them to cover it ... it seems absurd that it went that quickly. And over here, labour is very expensive at Nissan. They charge $50 for regular oil changes. It's very very expensive ... plus 13% tax does not help either :(
Sorry to hear about the OP's bad experience with their Versa.

marinemonkey
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 6 spd hatch
1974 Dodge Charger 318 auto
1973 Plymouth Duster built 318 3 spd (for sale)

I know this is an old topic but is there any one that has had any issues with there clutch. i have a 2010 v hb and i have a little under 15000 miles. i know that some people lie on forums to make cars look bad but i want to know if any one other then the few above has had any issues.

Thanks for your time

William

aidan80
Car: Versa 1.8 Manual

11,000 for a clutch to go, wear item or not it's terrible and should be covered under warranty. If that were me I'd trade it and get something else.

I'm just at 14,500 on my 2009 S and haven't had any issues with the clutch. Although I do admit I'm not a huge fan of the feel of it. Gears are ok but seems 6th isn't quite as good as I'd expect. Then again this isn't a top of the range car. Overall I'm very happy with my wee Versa. If I had to do it all over again I'd still have bought. Had I the option (credit was an issue when I bought it) I'd probably have gotten something else at the very least an SL.

mkeblack
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa; former owner 1993 Nissan Sentra

We also have a burnt clutch at 10,000 miles! Dealer is saying we abused the clutch, but this is moms car and she has driven a standard transmission since she was 16; her last Nissan (1993 Sentra) did not get a new clutch until about 200,000 miles! She is out of warranty(purchased Late 2010) and they are saying it is excluded under the extended warranty she purchased. How can a clutch plate replacement be normal at this mileage? I think they have an issue with the hydraulic clutches, that's why I'm here, looking for similar cases. Anything you can add?

Dealer wants $3,000 for the repair; plus towing as the clutch was a complete failure. We had just had the car in for service one month before; they took a look and said all was fine, did not even do the scheduled service because her mileage was so low!

mkeblack
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa; former owner 1993 Nissan Sentra

marinemonkey wrote:I know this is an old topic but is there any one that has had any issues with there clutch. i have a 2010 v hb and i have a little under 15000 miles. i know that some people lie on forums to make cars look bad but i want to know if any one other then the few above has had any issues.

Thanks for your time

William
William - we have a 2010 V sedan and are having to replace clutch $3,000 bill with just about 10,000 miles! This car was only driven by a very experienced standard transmission operator (mom) and she does not live in a hilly area and she has driven manuals her entire life - more than 60 years of driving experience. It failed suddenly and dramatically; she was a HUGE Nissan fan prior to this (1993 Sentra, manual, 200,000 plus miles with no major repairs, on the Original Clutch!).

BTW, my opinion of those who post here and accuse others of not being truthful is that they are just revealing their own weaknesses. It is perfectly logical that you would come here seeking information on a Nissan issue, and that you would choose a screen name that perfectly described your issue - its called transparency.

One wonders about the accusers ties to the industry...

Boothby171
Car: 2009 Nissan Vewrsa 1.6L Base 5-Speed

So, I've got a serious CLUTCH problem!

My wife inherited her uncle's 2009 Bare-Bones 5-speed Versa in 2012. He had put 5000 miles on it, and in the time since, she's put on just over another 5000 more.

So, the car has about 10,500 miles, and...THE CLUTCH IS SHOT.

Yes, shot. Slips in all gears. Can barely get up a hill.

Now--my wife and I have been driving stick shift for over 30 years, each. Her uncle had been driving stick shift for probably over 60 years! We've never had a car whose clutch failed before....actually, we;ve never had a car whose clutch failed (until now), and we've brought quite a few cars up to and past the 100,000 mile mark.

So it's not us.

We brought the car to the dealership, and contacted Nissan North America.

Yes, the car is out of its 36 month (36 month?!? Should have bought a Hyundai!) warranty. No, it's well WITHIN it's 36,000 mile warranty. And yes, a clutch is a wear item. I know this.

But, seriously. 10,000 miles? That's all a clutch is good for these days? 10,000 miles?

I thought it was pretty reasonable to ask NNA to cover the replacement of what is obviously a faulty clutch.

After about 2 weeks, Nissan North America called back and told us that they would NOT be helping us. In any way. They considered providing the repair as a courtesy, but then decided,..nah. No courtesy. Nothing.

And the dealership wants $2200 for the repair. And told us, outright, "But you know....we might find more problems in there when we open 'er up! Might cost a little more, even!"

At this point, I would never even consider looking at a Nissan, ever again.

(Oh, and I should mention, when we were leaving the service area, one of the salesman told us, "Maybe it's time to trade it for a new car!" Yeah. I'll be needing a new car every 10,500 miles. Maybe if I buy a NISSAN, but I don't think I'll have that problem)

BTW, BUBS (I assume you're long gone by now; probably not working for NISSAN any more, I guess), but I AM a Nissan owner. And I AM having the problem I described with my Versa. And all of the car's drivers are older, experienced, and not trying to peel out with the MASSIVE 73.21 HP this car is capable of if you're going downhill with a strong tail-wind. And if someone wants to be an apologist for NISSAN and 10,000 mile clutches, be my guest...shill.

(Sorry, this car has seriously pissed me off)

MorningskyStickShift

I have had my 2014 Nissan Versa Note S for less than 11 months and bought it Certified Pre-owned from the dealership with full gold preferred bumper to bumper wrap warranty with only 21 miles on it because it had only been used as a service car they said. Sounds good right?

This past weekend, the clutch completely gave out at only 12,000 miles. The service center of course is accusing that I simply burned out the clutch from improper use and corporate maintains they do not have to cover it - and once again like all of you mentioned, the cost is upwards to $2100- 2500 while my personal mechanic can do it for far less. It took them 4 days to tell me that they would not authorize warranty or out of warranty coverage, only because I had to call the service center and corporate consumer affairs over 12-15x over the course of those days only for them to keep pointing the finger at each other. Apparently the affairs rep on the 2nd day that my car was at the shop and finally diagnosed, never fwded my case to the regional manager until I keep calling to find out they didn't seem to understand my dealer requested further authorization.

I am appalled that they made me feel like a poor driver, because although I am a young stick shifter, I trained under folks who have driven manual for as long as most of the people on this forum and allowed me to practice on their cars. If they did not deem me worthy to drive manual, and I did not feel comfortable- I would never have purchased a stick shift, just to run my transmission into the ground. Of course, all the staff like to point out that this is my first manual car I've owned. It is also the newest I've ever purchased and the first from a dealership let alone with a full warranty- so I'm considering this the adult upgrade from ureliable used cars in my youth right?

It seems like it's no use to keep arguing with corporate and the service center. The approval process is so screwed up in which I made the middle person, that I am completely cancelling the plan- it's worthless because Nissan should stand by the quality of their parts. The service advisor recommends the only other way to find any defects is when the transmission is taken out, but once that's done I would have to have the car fixed there anywhere to include the major costs just to take it apart, because Nissan won't cover that part of the repair process either, even though it's their need for more evidence. In the mean time, they never provided me a courtesy vehicle, I even asked my original dealership who is further away than I this one from where I live to step in but offer a loaner at least until the decision about the warranty was reached but, although the finance person was kind enough to go to their service manager and ask, they said it was not possible because they are not servicing the car.

So the universal ability to even take it to any Nissan service center and get the same services also does not appear to apply in this case. At this point i want nothing to do with them and will have it towed to my car, and hopefully he won't find that they haven't done any more damage to my versa. I love driving this car, and have had experienced manual drivers in the passenger side- many admit resting the foot on the clutch is a bad habit but from time to time in city traffic it is really not uncommon, and shouldn't wear out the clutch that fast, and not due to improper use on my part. Everyone seems to agree it would have be extremely aggressive driving to wear the clutch under 36K let alone 15K!

I hope my guy will put a better clutch than Nissan seems to offer- right now their whole service has been completely worthless to me including now the $95 charge just for them to diagnose the car without taking the transmission out. My mother warns to not let them try to charge me for storage fees when it was their warranty dept that was holding up my moving ahead with authorization. I'm not really convinced there is a warranty dept between this service center and consumer affairs- because it looks like Nissan never approves warranty covered repairs, especially on a wearable item- no matter what the expected life span. This service advisor tries to be my friend and says if it's up to me i would replace but "our hand are tied" but since now it's up to me, I am going to take my chances with the reliable mechanic I've used for years and forget I ever need to deal with a corporate dealer again.

tjstandr
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa S

Same thing happened to me in my 2015 Nissan Versa

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”