Build Thread: VQ35 S13; wrecked, and returning with boost!

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
FattyMcBaggins
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX

MMMMMMMMM....powder coated goodness

badbob2121
Car: 92 S13 Hatch ELLIS JUAN, 12 Mustang GT RTR

mmm... i love gooolllldd!!!

Speckid4
Car: 1995 240sx
1993 240sx

Love the blue! What about on the front of the engine, paint all the pieces behind the gold pieces gloss black? did that make sense?

This is a definite winner, good VQ find.

Best of luck with your build!
~Speckid :dblthumb:

FattyMcBaggins

I'm gonna leave the front timing cover alone for now. I would need to remove that crank pulley and some other things to get that off and paint it, so I'm gonna just leave it be for now. If I do pull it of, I think I'll have it polished out. Actually, if I can figure out how to get the damn crank pulley off then I can put on my fluidampr....but its proving to be quite a pain without access to air tools. I guess I'll have to do it when I get the motor back home

Speckid4
Car: 1995 240sx
1993 240sx

FattyMcBaggins wrote:I'm gonna leave the front timing cover alone for now. I would need to remove that crank pulley and some other things to get that off and paint it, so I'm gonna just leave it be for now. If I do pull it of, I think I'll have it polished out. Actually, if I can figure out how to get the damn crank pulley off then I can put on my fluidampr....but its proving to be quite a pain without access to air tools. I guess I'll have to do it when I get the motor back home
Agreed, Air tools are where its at. I have 3 50ft. hoses that I can run from my compressor in the basement all the way out to the end of my driveway! lol sometimes those fail, in that case bust out the 2ft pipe. :bigthumb:

s13Vanessa
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx Hatch

Damn i like where this is going a lot! Keep up the good work!

FattyMcBaggins

Placed another big parts order today, trying to get all of the little bits and pieces that I need to get the car back on the road. My front LCA's are kinda shot, alot with the rear LCA's, so I decided to just go ahead and order the circuit sport replacements for all 4 corners...could've just replaced the ball joints, but I've gone all out on other aspects, so I might as well. I also ordered a Walbro 255, Agency Power braided brake lines for the Z32 front and stock rear, Suspension Techniques front and rear sway bars, and the last few Z1 Motorsports silicone hoses that I was missing from the motor.
I bought an S15 driver side seat (USDM passenger side) that hopefully looks as nice in person as the pictures made it look. I haven't decided yet on what seat to go with for the driver side. Any suggestions? I want something reclineable but I don't want to spend $1000 on a seat, bring on the options!

FattyMcBaggins

Placed another big parts order today, trying to get all of the little bits and pieces that I need to get the car back on the road. My front LCA's are kinda shot, alot with the rear LCA's, so I decided to just go ahead and order the circuit sport replacements for all 4 corners...could've just replaced the ball joints, but I've gone all out on other aspects, so I might as well. I also ordered a Walbro 255, Agency Power braided brake lines for the Z32 front and stock rear, Suspension Techniques front and rear sway bars, and the last few Z1 Motorsports silicone hoses that I was missing from the motor.
I bought an S15 driver side seat (USDM passenger side) that hopefully looks as nice in person as the pictures made it look. I haven't decided yet on what seat to go with for the driver side. Any suggestions? I want something reclineable but I don't want to spend $1000 on a seat, bring on the options!

FattyMcBaggins

Just another update...
I picked up a set of rims for the car today. Found a great deal on a set of Gram Lights 57Pro's today. Got some 17X7 +27 for the front, and 17X9 +25 for the rear. I wish the fronts were wider, but I can always order a new pair of 17X8 at some point in the future. Here's a pic:

I ended up cancelling the order for the S15 seat when I stumbled upon a deal for 2 Bride GIAS Low MAX. Can't wait to get them in.

S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

Good wheel choice and seats :bigthumb:

milto0n
Car: Infiniti M45S

Looks nice... totally digging the paint!

FattyMcBaggins

Hey guys, lots of awesome things to come over the next few weeks. I just got back to Texas with the VQ, rims, and all of the stuff I need for the swap. I got my wiring and ECU back from Mckinney, along with their mount kit and custom tubular exhaust manifolds that look freakin' BADASS! I have the next 10 weeks off from work to get the car taken care of....good things are on the way!

The trailer getting all packed up

The vq almost has itself a home!

The BEAUTIFUL headers sitting on top of 17" wheels

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Sweet, this should go pretty quick once you get back to work on it.

if you don't mind, what was the the price range on the ecu and wiring work?

FattyMcBaggins

I'm pretty sure Mckinney sends it all out to ZFever for the Osiris reflash and wiring. It was $1050 for the plug n play wiring setup.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Damn, seems very worth it though. I love how many VQ builds are popping up or back up. Keep it up man.

FattyMcBaggins

I got to set her down on her wheels for the first time in 2 years today! And looks like she got some new shoes! I also buttoned up the rest of the suspension with Circuit Sports LCA at all 4 corners. My alignment is pretty wacked out! You can also see the pretty pignose lip I installed last a few months back.

FattyMcBaggins

More pictures after a long day of work. Got the Fluidampr installed and the AAM oil pan spacer (gives me an extra quart of oil capacity). Also started test fitting the headers. Headers look pretty sick, but we're dealing with some clearance problems on the passenger side one. We're going to have to make a few custom coolant pipes to reroute a few things out of the way...But its fixable.

AAM oil pan spacer
MMMMMMMMMMM
Fluidampr is installed

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

What is that on the lower oil pan? who makes it?

S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

Beautiful headers and Gram Lights. Good progress.

FattyMcBaggins

That's an oil pan spacer made by Altered Atmosphere Motorsports (AAM). Also puts a spacer on the oil pickup tube. Essentially just gives an extra quart of oil capacity in the lowest part of the pan, where you need it.

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

Ohh ok thanks for the info.

FattyMcBaggins

Test fit the engine today. It sits a bit wierd right now, but I think we need to test it with the transmission attached to get the right idea of how it will sit in there.
Also, I got my first batch of Chase Bays conversion hoses for the power steering and brakes so I started installing those.
Here's the hose from the power steering pump to the Chase Bays power steering reservoir:
Now I added the high pressure line from the pump to rack

The lines running into and out of the rack. If anybody knows, I couldn't recall which hole on the rack is the pressure line from the pump. That's the silver line right now.....is it in the right place? Also, that black hose is running to the sweet power steering cooler they provided.

Power steering cooler w/ line output running to the reservoir.
^^^^^^^^^^^Wow, I need to wash the engine bay ^^^^^^^

J14cm7
Car: 95 240sx S14 SR20det

Wow man hell of a build keep up the good work.

FattyMcBaggins

I have a feeling my car will sound something like this...Similar header design with a single 3.5inch exhaust....mmmmmmmmm. Enjoy!
http://youtu.be/iU2h0JTq2fk

FattyMcBaggins

Hey guys, tons of progress has been made.

Got the engine put in, with the transmission and chassis harness routed.

Wildwood BMC with my handmade throttle cable plate haha

Cleaned up and tucked most of the harness, still need to scrub down this fuse box

Mounted the Mishimoto radiator and fan setup. Note that we welded -16AN fittings to the radiator. Also welded fittings onto the thermostat neck and the coolant neck.

This is the coolant neck that returns coolant to the radiator. It normally wraps around the head and runs to the front of the motor, but it was causing a huge fitment issue with my headers. So, we cut the neck off behind the head and will be running a braided nylon line across the top of the head and to the radiator. Should look super clean too!

This header isn't torqued down at the moment, but you can see where we had to grind the head to get the headers to fit (just above the writing on the header that says "GRIND HEAD TAB HERE" haha). Wasn't a huge deal, but had to grind down a tab that's on the top edge of the head.

Came up with a cool way to mount the PS cooler. We'll say that the fins being exposed on all sides enhances it's cooling abilities....but mainly, it looks cool....spaceship! haha. Putting it here also hides the lines going to it and allows me to put an AC condenser back in at some point.

cjmirabal1
Car: Past: 90' S13 fastback
CA18DET powered

Current: 90' S13 fastback
Vh45de powered

im drooling on the paint job!!! omg!

sick motor aslo!!!

FattyMcBaggins

Really really excited about this weekend! I have the motor and tranny mounted up, and the last parts I was waiting on have arrived. The only thing left for me to get will be a driveshaft and a battery! I will be picking up a battery this weekend, after I get everything else situated.

Last weekend I got a good bit of work done on her. Finally got to hang the exhaust because my Circuit sport hanger bushings came in. Mounted up an A'pexi GT SPEC. This thing is huge! 3.75in. piping with a 4.5in. outlet! Normally I'd say it's ridiculous, but I've got a good bit more displacement, and at some point I'll be going FI, so it'll do the trick!

Also, I cut the transmission tunnel to make room for the shifter. I still need to grind a hair more clearance into it, but it's pretty close.

Here's my buddy Arty making the first cut on the tunnel

Without the shifter bracket:

With the shifter bracket:

Also, here are all of the goodies that came in this week.
List goes like this:
Weld-in O2 bungs
JWT PopCharger w/heat shield and a Z1 Motorsports polished intake pipe

AMS lightweight idler pulley and alternator pulley

Taylor battery relocation kit with install kit

Ah, toys

I'm hoping to get a start up video by the end of the weekend. It will be open header and loud as all hell haha. 2 more weeks and I'll have a driveshaft and a y-pipe so the next video will be on a dyno!
Last edited by FattyMcBaggins on Thu May 26, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2JZswaped
Car: Infitini
G37 S Convertible
Liquid Platinum
Bagged
Nessen Forged wheels

Liking this build man, everything's so clean!
Cool spot for the power steering cooler as well. :dblthumb:

skyline084

damn man, good job. Everything's super clean, and def. a good color choice.

420sxWETDREAMS
Car: 1991 240sx Hatchback

Wildwood BMC with my handmade throttle cable plate haha

I love this how much, and where did you get it?

Return to “240sx General Discussion”