budget track cars...?

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
sr20goofus

ks2_tuning wrote:do the NASA events on the east coast draw the big fields like they do out here on the left side of the country?
they are getting more and more crowded, not quite like it is over there tho......

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

NASA was started off as a west coast thing, the SCCA has always ruled this area, but the SCCA isnt keeping with the times, and a lot of new racers (yours truly being one of them) are going into NASA

however, out there you have NASA events all the time, the majority of USTCC races, and pretty much all the enduros, including the 25 hour of course, here theyve mainly become the staple of HPDE's, and time trials and wheel to wheel are now starting to become popular

im definately a bigger fan of NASA...although ironically im spending the weeekend at Watkins Glen for the SCCA Glen Nationals

sunnyrodeo

honda...lots of parts. cheap. double wishbone.

miata is good but i would not want to get caught driving that

elgarvo616
Car: 1995 240sx aka sweet thang

id go with crx. super cheap, light, and abundant parts. and properly set up honda is a tough car to beat.

mattscar
Car: 1989 240sx, 1992 Miata

well for my autocrosing ill use either my AE86 gts or my AE92 gts. autocross killers!

ccasey645
Car: 1989 240sx ca18det swap

vroom-chirp wrote:i ahve heard of the 80s dodge turbo being fast and cheap track cars, but i dont know the relyability of it
Dodge Omni 2.2 Turbo FTMFW!! Heres an ebay listing of a de-comissioned Omni GLH T rally car for next to nothin http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

nismofly wrote:NASA was started off as a west coast thing, the SCCA has always ruled this area, but the SCCA isnt keeping with the times, and a lot of new racers (yours truly being one of them) are going into NASA

however, out there you have NASA events all the time, the majority of USTCC races, and pretty much all the enduros, including the 25 hour of course, here theyve mainly become the staple of HPDE's, and time trials and wheel to wheel are now starting to become popular

im definately a bigger fan of NASA...although ironically im spending the weeekend at Watkins Glen for the SCCA Glen Nationals
I have friends that do both NASA and SCCA. There are advantages/disadvantages to both. SCCA events tends to attact a higher levels of experience and competition, but can be more expensive. NASA is cheaper and easier to get into, but the lower level of experience translates to a bigger chance of getting "character marks" on your car.

I've kinda settled into HPDE's with my street car, which gets the adrenaline flowing without having to worry about getting it rammed by someone. Though I've been tempted by a good friend to buy into a spec miata and campaign part-time. . We had also thought about buying an old Super Vee (open wheel car) and having fun with it at "historic" events.

Shift_Kouki
Car: 95 240sx se

Kamin wrote:CRX.

<- will be building one in the next few years for a honda challenge racecar. with a special engine
My friend is doing exactly that right now. Just rebuilt his steering rack with him the other day in fact.

The first post hit the nail on the head here. CRX w/ double wishbone light weight and uber cheapness seems to be the way to go.

The miata is also a great choice for just about all the same reasons, although i have not seen one built for track in person, i expect it has many of the same virtues.

Certainly my friend's CRX being prepped for track has cost him less than me getting my essentially bone stock 240 ready for autox (including the cost of the cars)

Pho King
Car: Red hatchback.

I voted for Miata...It's light, small, rear wheel drive, and you can rock it with the top down.

crackler
Car: ZOMG JDM TYT3

For budget racing. I would say either the CRX or Miata. Both are very competitve in STS(Formaly STS2) in SCCA Autox. The NA miata's are also competitive in CSP, if you want more mods and R-comps.

Both would be fun for HPDE.

Not sure on the SCCA support for CRX's in race classes. But Spec Miata is very popular.

I have no idea on NASA, no NASA regions near me.

The 944 and E30's are have good support in NASA from what I have seen, but like some one else said, parts / mainience ae going to be much high than compaired to the Honda or Mazda.

I Voted for the Miata. One of the big reasons is their racer support (MazdaSpeed Motorsports Compitiion, Google it). Ohh, that and I own one and LOVE it.

nitecruiser

I would personally chose Miata for budget racing.Awesome ride.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I had to vote for the crx, light, easy to work on, tons of aftermarket, dependable, lots of parts support at your local parts store or junkyard, and enoug space to haul race tires

I gotta love a miata of MR2 for autocross or roadracing but they can't haul their own gear and tend to be sparce at the junkyards

hbpignosePA
Car: 90 240sx hatch (Jackstand Queen), 78 Datsun 280z (RIP), 89 cressida (Sold) 86 200sx hatch (sold) 83 280zx turbo (parts car)
90 volvo 240 (sold)
80 mx32 cressida (new daily)

miata....

cheapest to prep and maintain

saw one about a year ago in a lot that was all busted up body wise; i was thinkin of offerin like 500 for it and turning it into a track car but meh i dont have the time or a trailer

another choice could be the first gen rx7.... you see alot of SCCA prepped Rx7s.... if you wanna mess with a rotary

PHeller
Car: 1998 Ford ZX2 (wrecked) now 1989 Coupe

Good luck finding a cheap Miata. Even completely busted up have people demanding $1000.

Don't limit your search, honestly.

Keep an eye for anything cheap, or pre-built. That $200 86 Mustang down the road may be cheaper than the $1500 Miata, considering the 302 is dirt cheap and their are only like 8 million Mustang aftermarket companies out there.

Or you can just hang out on Grassroots Motorsports Classifieds and pick up a $1800 caged, clean, ready to race Neon.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

my budget auto x car

is a truck

85 nissan/datsun 720... bought it for 800 and fixed it up

a few classes it can be put into dependent on mods are FSP and GP and if you want to get crazy you can take it into a modified class with an engine swap

JL01

Miata, Hondas, all good choices. Always comes down to what's available and what you can get at the time.

moyea
Car: Paddle Shifted 92 240SX SR20DET, 02 Frontier S/C, 90 240sx ITA

I actually have a blog about this subject on zoints. Its cheaper than you think.

Dead Serious
Car: 90 240sx hatch

dont think anyone brought up a 2.5 RS. they were always regulars at the autox in pitt region. prob require alittle more $ than your other optns though and less parts. miata is a sure thing and hondas seem to rule the fwd

lbreevesii
Car: S13 hatch LeMons project - Kaputzen!
BMW E30

240 or miata.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”