BREAKING NEWS: Nissan Skyline Seized

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
bowtiebadboy33
Car: 99 Gmc sonoma, stock for now

Hey guys, i'm new here.

But I read this story on Jalopnik, and I can't belive what I read, wow! I personally like american cars, and don't pay much attention to others, but being the car enthusiast I am, I respect all car people that love and take care of their prized vehicles. I build model cars as a hobby, and I will be passing the word on what is happening though my forum and my youtube videos, because this should not be allowed to happen. :bs:

I hope you all get your rides back, and it don't matter what cars I like, we are all enthusiasts that have one thing in common, and thats the love for cars! Good luck guys.

OwnerCS

I'm concerned that kid's Microsoft X-Box will be confiscated if he is caught driving a Skyline on Forza Motorsports 3. Yep - need some regulation over the computer game industry to make sure there are no Skyline car selection options available when the game is played in the U.S...

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

So.... any attempts to get this stuff on any news networks? Nothing pisses the general population off like their own money being spent on reducing their freedoms. Just sayin'.....

That and there's nothing news networks love more than exposing/ calling out the government when something's not right.

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

AZhitman wrote:What is it about this Administration that has elevated the seizure of Nissan Skylines to such a high priority?

All this laxity, and yet we're "cracking down" on a handful of imported cars? Hmmmm.....
The problem with this Administration is that it's scrambling to make ground on any issue they can. They know the general public is extremely unhappy with the US Government and they know that we as a country are extremely close on revolting and a large handful are calling for a coup. This is the same Administration that feels that all cars are EVIL unless they are powered by an electric motor or have 0 emissions. That's all fine and dandy but what about the 80% + of Americans that like their dino eating smog producing cars, particularly the old and collectible and the tuners and modders who not only invest millions each year but also make millions each year on these very cars.

Obama and his whole administration are tree huggers and communist tree huggers at that. They are focusing in on the issues that affect Americans as a whole on a personal level, not on a political level. They want to take away our cars, they want to take away our guns, they want to take our freedom of choice and make us all the same. This is the same hack Administration that won't do anything about the housing market, the cost of education, the economy or the rampant crime and out of control corruption. This is the same Administration that still taxes the crap out of us middle class people while giving more tax breaks to the rich and powerful.

As far as there priorities are concerned, I'm sure they are following the Mantra that every stupid little victory is a victory all the same and that we as Americans should celebrate it as such. They think we are stupid, they think we are tiny ants under their feet, and they fail to remember (and don't care that) we voted them in. It's coming up on an Election year so they are making a mad dash to get as far as they can with ANY issues that they can.

Sorry for the off topic rant, but I saw your rhetorical question posted and thought I'd give my $.02.

Carry on, Vandrel, sorry to hear about what happened to you, if you don't mind my asking what state are you in? In your article it looked like it was a DMV official that was there to impound the car (it says DMV on the back of his coat). I'm just wondering if the DMV (or the state you reside in ) had anything to do with you losing your car.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

bowtiebadboy33 wrote:Hey guys, i'm new here.

But I read this story on Jalopnik, and I can't belive what I read, wow! I personally like american cars, and don't pay much attention to others, but being the car enthusiast I am, I respect all car people that love and take care of their prized vehicles. I build model cars as a hobby, and I will be passing the word on what is happening though my forum and my youtube videos, because this should not be allowed to happen. :bs:

I hope you all get your rides back, and it don't matter what cars I like, we are all enthusiasts that have one thing in common, and thats the love for cars! Good luck guys.
Thanks for the support. :bigthumb:

RussianMafia
Car: ae86 gts 87 coupe and 96 240sx se 5 speed

Ok i may not have a skyline but i might have a solution for the issue at hand. This F***ots DMV/GOV officials are trucking down all these vehicles using DMV database for any active cars that are registered as skyline. The solution would be for everyone for time being return your plates which would make them inactive in there database an till everything is cooled down. That way your not really braking anyrulles as long as the car is not on the street. So the step 2 would be to find storage for your Skyline. This would be a solution to keep your car from harm way, its does not mean it will get better and you would be able to drive your car any time soon. Hopefully this would help all you skyline owners. I have not done any research in the matter just from my experience dealing with DMV and cars. In a case if someone does approach you with a question do you own a skyline you have the right to tell them NO. Because the fact that you could of sold the car to somebody else who haven't had a chance to register in which would answer the question as to why the car was listed under your name last.

What gets me mad is not the fact that they taking the skylines but its the fact that a hard earn money was spend on this cars and for government just to a) use are tax money to this b)steal our hard earn money and c) use it for their own profit is just inexcusable.

Just like i told me friend this morning and this is a quote

"All i know if i had the skyline at my house and someone came from DMV to pick up my Car im letting my dog(pit) lose End of Story. And ill be sure to take down the Plate numbers of this so called Gov/DMV people that took the care after pulling my... dog of there necks. I would hunt every one of them and KILL them with out any remorse what so ever. Same goes for there family and kids. IF YOU f*** WITH MY CAR ITS LIKE YOU f*** WITH MY FAMILY. Try taking my kids away i will take yours.

Even though i don't have a skyline i'm so f*** pissed that i just ruined my whole day. "

more...

"Ok after letting of some steam i'm going to add that i will also set there house on fire to make sure ill get everyone even those that were hiding somewhere in a basement or w/e.

The funny thing about everything i said i meant it.

f*** gov...ernment let us TUNE in peace god damm it"

anyhow hope this helps somehow

gzrecoil

OriginalWheelman wrote: Lastly, the guy goes on and on about how not everyone can be expected to know all the import laws. While this is understandable and true, there are two things about this. First of all, ignorance of the law is NEVER an acceptable excuse in the US. Also, this guy obviously knew the import law quite well as he had arrangements made for the legal exportation and sale of the car as the law allows. He didn't really lose anything here, as he sold the car, it was not seized.

This guy can claim the victim as much as he wants, but I'll bet he knew what he was getting into. In the end, they are all just machines. No matter how much someone may want one, the car was not conformed to US requirements, and is not legal for road use in the US. Period. The legal importation requires modifying the car to MAKE IT CONFORM. This is what the registered importers do, and this is why they must be used. They are held liable for the car being legalized. It is not simply a matter of the RI doing some paperwork. I can't feel sorry for someone who bought an illegal car and got it seized. If you choose to not play by the rules, you choose to accept the consequences.
Wheelman,

You can say anything you want about ignorance of the law, I guarantee you are no expert either.

Even lawyers don't know "all of the law", that's why they specialize, that's why many only do state cases and not federal cases (which this is).

I can guarantee that most people you ask have no idea that you can buy a car from a local resident, have it titled at a local dmv, registered, insured, AND inspected, yet still have it seized. All this while the person selling them the car swears up and down that it is 100% legit.

I want to go as far as saying that 90%+ of the population has NO CLUE this could happen.

How can we all be expected to know all the laws of buying a state titled car that was previously imported in it's past several years prior, titled in multiple states, and had several previous owners?

Do you know any RI's importing legal skylines?

States can exempt emissions if driven less then a certain amount of miles, but EPA can seize a skyline for not conforming, even if it meets states standards?

NHTSA can seize your car, but they won't tell you how to make it conform?

To your point about them only seizing cars driven on the street, why not give the owners the option to unregister them and drive them only on the track? This is not happening. The funny thing too is that these owners are the most likely to agree to do this as they are die hard enthusiasts.

Most people would rather rent a trailer than hand over $15-100 grand that has been invested into their car.

To hit home on the real issue, we are 15 trillion dollars in debt and it's only getting worse. That and there are a lot more important things for federal agencies to be concentrating on.

I can see them going after smugglers, because we all know hard drugs(pot is ok) and human trafficking are bad, but at the end of the day this situation isn't nearly as bad as containers filled with humans

recoil

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Good points. We're a little bit spoiled, considering we run in the same circles as people who know quite a bit about the importation game.

I wonder if they're putting as much effort into securing all those grey-market VW Golfs, Mercedes diesel sedans, and RHD FD's?

Not likely.

gzrecoil

OwnerCS wrote:Here's a picture..

Nice graphic :D

Makes a great smartphone background lol.

VandrelSOUSA

AZhitman wrote:I wonder if they're putting as much effort into securing all those grey-market VW Golfs, Mercedes diesel sedans, and RHD FD's?

Not likely.
Seeing how they stood in my driveway and asked me how much a rough market value would run on my car as they were loading onto the rollback, I'd have to say that they wouldn't even waste their time on cars like Civic Type-R's and Silvias that wouldn't auction for even a fraction of what the Skylines they pick up would generate. It's all about money and in the end somone at the top of the ICE chain of command made a command decision that Skylines were going to generate the most profit and furthermore justify their budget requirements.

As soon as I get my hands on their annual budget power point brief I'll be sure to post it up here.

turbonxsx

Cool make these idiots pay

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Just a quick point. If you unknowingly buy stolen goods, they are still stolen goods and are confiscated. If you unknowingly buy bootleg movies (assume they look like legitimate copies) they can still be confiscated. The fact here is the car did not make it to the owners through 100% legitimate processes. Its unfortunate to hear they aren't opening up some option to declare the car as an offroad-only vehicle but there may be good legal reasons for it. Part of it could be to set an example for other types of vehicles being imported in a similar fashion (Skylines are pretty high profile in this regard). There could also be some influence from larger car companies and/or legitimate importers of vehicles in making sure this is enforced. For importers that jump through a lot of hurdles and have larger expenses from doing things the right way, it would be a kick in the teeth to allow such illegal practices to go on. Its really unfortunate that its the consumers who bare a large expense, but one can probably file a civil suit against the responsible party. And of course, its possible the government is also going after the responsible parties as well...

OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

I'm not going to turn this thread into an argument. I'm not saying he shouldn't fight for the right to import the cars. I was merely trying to put perspective on it for the people who read 2 lines and are shouting that "the evil government is hunting for skylines" His Skyline getting taken was a side effect of something else. No one hunted him down just for owning a skyline.

When i wanted to buy a skyline, I researched. I called RIs, I looked at all the forms and read all the documentation on the NHTSA's website. I asked questions to people who knew more about it than me. There are people here who know the lengths I went to when researching it and believe me, I was thorough. In the end, I decided it was a whole lot of time and effort for a car that may end up going badly in the end. I made an informed decision and didn't buy one. Getting one into the country is near impossible, and buying one inside the country is risky or extremely expensive, in the case of the few certified MotorEx cars.

As for "taking the car off the streets and putting it on the track" it really shows that you have no idea what you are talking about. There are predefined rules on what must be done to a car for it to be imported as a race car and it must be done BEFORE the car enters the country. You can't just go "yeah I broke the law and got caught, so now I'm going to behave." Life doesn't work like that.

gzrecoil

C-Kwik wrote:Just a quick point. If you unknowingly buy stolen goods, they are still stolen goods and are confiscated. If you unknowingly buy bootleg movies (assume they look like legitimate copies) they can still be confiscated. The fact here is the car did not make it to the owners through 100% legitimate processes. Its unfortunate to hear they aren't opening up some option to declare the car as an offroad-only vehicle but there may be good legal reasons for it. Part of it could be to set an example for other types of vehicles being imported in a similar fashion (Skylines are pretty high profile in this regard). There could also be some influence from larger car companies and/or legitimate importers of vehicles in making sure this is enforced. For importers that jump through a lot of hurdles and have larger expenses from doing things the right way, it would be a kick in the teeth to allow such illegal practices to go on. Its really unfortunate that its the consumers who bare a large expense, but one can probably file a civil suit against the responsible party. And of course, its possible the government is also going after the responsible parties as well...
Agreed. At least with theft if the person who defrauded you is also caught you have a small chance of legal recourse.
OriginalWheelman wrote: As for "taking the car off the streets and putting it on the track" it really shows that you have no idea what you are talking about. There are predefined rules on what must be done to a car for it to be imported as a race car and it must be done BEFORE the car enters the country. You can't just go "yeah I broke the law and got caught, so now I'm going to behave." Life doesn't work like that.
Being as Vandrel didn't import his car I don't see how this is relevant.

I know the law is the law, but Vandrel did not break any laws.

I also want to say Vandrel could be considered lucky, not everyone gets the chance to export, or even to strip their car before it's taken.

Pento240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1981 Datsun 210 Deluxe, 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima Deluxe and 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

If somebody makes me a flyer, I will posted all over my town and college.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

C-Kwik wrote:For importers that jump through a lot of hurdles and have larger expenses from doing things the right way, it would be a kick in the teeth to allow such illegal practices to go on.
There aren't any, so we need not worry about that.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

AZhitman wrote:
C-Kwik wrote:For importers that jump through a lot of hurdles and have larger expenses from doing things the right way, it would be a kick in the teeth to allow such illegal practices to go on.
There aren't any, so we need not worry about that.
Probably not for Skylines. Perhaps for other types of vehicles. Or perhaps in comparison to importers who bring vehicles with restrictions on how it can be used. Heck, perhaps even manufacturers (even small ones) that build small runs of specialized vehicles that still have to meet the safety and emissions requirements.

lexcrob
Car: I get a different ride faster than I could update this.

buy a 240sx park it in the yard/garage/street who cares.. rip off the vin on the dash

put it in the skyline DONE drive it love it your good

^ you say thats not gonna work right

-wheres the line between swapping motors/body panels/glass doors...blahh blahh
-my paps is a cop and his words were "no cop is gonna care about some car ( check vin license plate/reg./insurance DONE-->heres your ticket

Now if you have marta testing register it where they dont have marta testing.
and of course you cant have full coverage insurance that would get sticky<<<<<
Last note: the only time you could start getting into some CIA etc. trouble would be if the item body engine/parts were stolen so you would need some sort of recipt bill of sale probly notary sign'd _its a race car)

Why in the heck would you even wanna try to go through all that work no one cares unless you try to tell the people that "hey im trying to import a car thats not even supposed to be here here......

lexcrob

Its kinda like going and asking the owner of a giant parking with no signs fences or gates if you can go drift it......

What are they going to say?

What do you do drift it with a lookout and if the cops roll up stop pop hood get out..... "hello officer im working on my car whats that i cant be here" "ill leave right now sorry about that"

^check for cameras guys that would get ya kinda like the insurance

anyways that my 10 cents : i hope you get your car back sad sad day "spooby"you tube voice

VandrelSOUSA

lexcrob wrote:buy a 240sx park it in the yard/garage/street who cares.. rip off the vin on the dash

put it in the skyline DONE drive it love it your good
And then when ICE shows up and wants to inspect the VIN you'll be on your way to a federal pound me in the a** prison for tampering with a VIN.

That's a felony if you were not aware :D

Never a good idea to tamper with a VIN, even if your intent is just to "use" a license plate.

Fear not though, our legal side of the house has been established and things are in motion.

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

RussianMafia wrote:

"All i know if i had the skyline at my house and someone came from DMV to pick up my Car im letting my dog(pit) lose End of Story. And ill be sure to take down the Plate numbers of this so called Gov/DMV people that took the care after pulling my... dog of there necks. I would hunt every one of them and KILL them with out any remorse what so ever. Same goes for there family and kids. IF YOU f*** WITH MY CAR ITS LIKE YOU f*** WITH MY FAMILY. Try taking my kids away i will take yours.
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read, who ever said this shouldn't be allowed to own a pitbull. A responsible pitbull owner keeps his/her pit safe and secure at all times like a real firearm. It is not a weapon to go throwing loose threats about. Stupid stupid stupid. I am sick of pit owners like this, no wonder the dog is targeted by BSL laws (Breed Specific Legislation which means the gov't says you can't own a pit in certain areas or they will confiscate it and euthanize it whether it has committed a crime or not), stupid owners misusing their dogs. Threatening a pit attack is not different than threatening to shoot someone. Who ever made this quote should have their pitbull(s) removed and placed in foster care because they are flying off the handle over a car and putting peoples lives in danger OVER A CAR!!! Hope I don't read about this pitbull owner in the newspaper. And to whoever goes through with a plan like this and causes an event that outlaws and terminates my properly licensed and trained pitbull, you will need a gun to save yourself from me. Get your head out your a** and stop acting like a punk because punks are weak.

As for this Skyline debacle I say fight the good fight. I don't like being told what to do by people who don't listen to me. Hear that Gov't?!? They don't know me so they can't play God by trying to protect me from myself. I would be proud to die from my own stupidity rather than from someone else. In the words of Alonzo Hawk(Herbie Rides Again) to my beloved US Gov't "WILL YOU GET OUT OF HERE!!! I didn't hire you to tell me what I can't do, I hired you to tell me how I can do it! GOOOOOOOO!!!"

SEMA Member

phantom_RB

Honestly, I think some so high power official is bitter, probably because his $100,000 Porsche got walked on at the drag strip or some SCCA event by a GTR!!! Bwahahahaahahaha... posted on Facebook. Keep up the fight!

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

i am scared to death that my baby will soon be taken away and i just got her

lexcrob

ur right felony^ but if you swap dashes ud be good never tampered with vin right?

All im saying is that there is no line drawn as to what makes a car a specific car.....

its kinda like putting a skyline front end on a 240sx does that make it a skyline-

If its the actual unibody im shur u can cut out what makes it ...it and weld it on a 240sx chasis

the a3k
Car: 1996 Black S14 RB25

anyone tried contacting the news? im sure cnn, nbc, fox could use some more stories on how the gov't is screwing the little people. besides, have you seen some of the stories they run? im sure this would be a much more interesting topic

AZhitman
Administrator

lexcrob wrote:ur right felony^ but if you swap dashes ud be good never tampered with vin right?

All im saying is that there is no line drawn as to what makes a car a specific car.....
Yes, there is. Let's not get too off-topic here, that stuff has all been covered in the Importation article I linked on Page 1.

RussianMafia
Car: ae86 gts 87 coupe and 96 240sx se 5 speed

Reverend D21-- Stop being such a tool and look after your own self. What ever comment was made in regards taking the skylines was supposed to be funny. So to your ignorant self F U C K Y O U. I know more about caring for dog then you care for your mother. So before making it seem like you go volunteering at the zoo, the conversion was about Skylines getting Seized so lets keep it that way. No one is here to you listen to you BS about how PitBull having a bad rep cause of you BLuh Bluh Bluh. SHuuuuuut UP

To everyone Else good luck with your cars and i stay correct it. Hurry up and un-register them before its to late.

Regards
-Dan)( PS- I love my dog :) )

turbonxsx

RussianMafia wrote:Reverend D21-- Stop being such a tool and look after your own self. What ever comment was made in regards taking the skylines was supposed to be funny. So to your ignorant self F U C K Y O U. I know more about caring for dog then you care for your mother. So before making it seem like you go volunteering at the zoo, the conversion was about Skylines getting Seized so lets keep it that way. No one is here to you listen to you BS about how PitBull having a bad rep cause of you BLuh Bluh Bluh. SHuuuuuut UP

To everyone Else good luck with your cars and i stay correct it. Hurry up and un-register them before its to late.

Regards

I have noticed alot of people making stupid comments on others people posts, stay out of other people's posts. Your not gonna change the way someone thinks about a situation and if this man "russianmafia" want's to be violent then let the man express himself the way he please's dont belittle him....

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

turbonxsx wrote:
RussianMafia wrote:Reverend D21-- Stop being such a tool and look after your own self. What ever comment was made in regards taking the skylines was supposed to be funny. So to your ignorant self F U C K Y O U. I know more about caring for dog then you care for your mother. So before making it seem like you go volunteering at the zoo, the conversion was about Skylines getting Seized so lets keep it that way. No one is here to you listen to you BS about how PitBull having a bad rep cause of you BLuh Bluh Bluh. SHuuuuuut UP

Regards

I have noticed alot of people making stupid comments on others people posts, stay out of other people's posts. Your not gonna change the way someone thinks about a situation and if this man "russianmafia" want's to be violent then let the man express himself the way he please's dont belittle him....
Well he's stupid as hell then if that's what he plans to do and I hope he lands in jail because of it. I also hope he enjoys his vacation from NICO for being a twerp.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

the a3k wrote:anyone tried contacting the news? im sure cnn, nbc, fox could use some more stories on how the gov't is screwing the little people. besides, have you seen some of the stories they run? im sure this would be a much more interesting topic
Ace2cool wrote:So.... any attempts to get this stuff on any news networks? Nothing pisses the general population off like their own money being spent on reducing their freedoms. Just sayin'.....

That and there's nothing news networks love more than exposing/ calling out the government when something's not right.
Seems like we're invisible. I would try, but I don't have the slightest idea how to contact a news network about this. That, and I think we're about half-cocked on the issue so far. Once Vandrel can get his hands on the I.C.E. budget for seizing Skylines, THEN we have something solid to report.

Return to “General Chat”