BREAKING NEWS: Nissan Skyline Seized

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
the a3k
Car: 1996 Black S14 RB25

once we have some more numbers to work with, we could just write an email out to all the networks. i doubt it will be a huge issue for most people but at least it'll spread the word a little more. the government needs to stop spending money that could be used for much much better purposes

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

Reverend D21 wrote: I also hope he enjoys his vacation from NICO for being a twerp.
This thread is being viewed by a lot of people from all corners of the enthusiast community. I would suggest a lot of you take Rev's example and clean up your posts because whether you are typing ignorant, blatantly stupid off-topic reactionary word vomit or standing up for someone else's stupid statements you're making yourself look like a tool and it reflects poorly on the people who are actually discussing the matter at hand.

mr.r32
Car: 1993 Nissan Skyline GTS-T

AZhitman wrote:Thx Sean, but we disagree on that part.

We were just successful in passing legislation to exempt all vehicles 25 years old and older from Arizona’s mandatory biennial emissions inspection and maintenance program.

SEMA Political Action Committee and SAN are FAR more numerous than Skyline owners, and WAY more vocal.

What so you mean by,
"We were just successful in passing legislation to exempt all vehicles 25 years old and older from Arizona’s mandatory biennial emissions inspection and maintenance program."

Im moving back to az in the next week or so. I moved to texas, and where i live there are no emissions. It that what that means if my car is older than 25yrs?

rocket69GTP
Car: 2008 Infiniti G37
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Comp G

Just posted this up in the Grand Prix forums as well. Car enthusiasts unite!!! :mike

Pento240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1981 Datsun 210 Deluxe, 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima Deluxe and 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

Let's make a UNION and strike :biggrin:

90_chuki_240
Car: 1990 240sx - blacktop sr20det

just posted this up on facebook, myspace, and even emailed cnn, foxnews, and the local news here (not that it will help any). maybe it will catch someones eye and they'll start digging. maybe i'm pissing in the wind with the emails but its worth a shot i think.

Lokim
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 acquired 4/25/10 w/192K
Now at 222K and going strong!

Reverend D21 wrote:America: Land of the Free. If we want to drive Skylines then we drive Skylines. Hey feds, try cleaning your own house before you try cleaning mine! f***ers!
Well said. :mike

Lokim
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 acquired 4/25/10 w/192K
Now at 222K and going strong!

This whole debacle is pure :bs:

MrMello5
Car: 96 Acura 2.5TL current
95 Nissan 240SX -gone-

Hey guys I came across this post after reading the other post about Vandrel's seized ride. sorry to hear that man. I even rejoined NICO just to post this.. was a member 6 or 7 years ago but couldn't remember the old username. I also joined the SAN and will post that link up on Acurazine to spread the word around further. I'm hoping to own an R33 in the future so I hope the government will focus on the important things and not seizing our treasured cars.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome back, Mello!

Thanks, everyone, for your help. At some point, the right person (or people) will hear about this and the chatter will become more meaningful.

Skyline_BNR34
Car: 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

ItzGenX wrote:If skylines are deemed "unsafe" then they should just go out there and crush every mazda miata and smart for two car in the country. There is no way those are safer than a full bodied coupe in a car accident regardless of it's make. If you gave me the choice of sitting in a honda crx (for example) or a R34 skyline to get into a crash at some random intersection, I would choose to sit in the skyline. I am sure I will have a higher chance of survival in it. It is also obvious here that the government is trying to cover their tracks on paper by listing the car as contraband. I am sure with all the skylines they have seized now and in the past, they could have taken these said skylines and put them into a crash test to get the issue solved and over with. A few crash tests would probably been cheaper than launching a nationwide seizure campaign. I am pretty sure they will all pass the test based on their year of production. All they need to do is log that data and leave the rest of us alone.
You are indeed flat out wrong about everything in this post.

The CRX and Miata were imported to the USA, so they HAVE to pass US safety standards. The Skylines were not, so they do not pass US Safety standards. Have you ever seen pictures of wrecked Skylines? They crumble like a beer can because the Safety Standards in Japan, at the time and maybe still, are not as strict as America's are. The main issue is the doors and reinforced steel bars need to be inserted into them to basically make them legal.

Just wait for the 25 year rule if you want one legally. 2014 the first R32's can come to America.

MrMello5
95 Nissan 240SX -gone-

AZhitman wrote:Welcome back, Mello!

Thanks, everyone, for your help. At some point, the right person (or people) will hear about this and the chatter will become more meaningful.

thanks man.. I've spread the word to a few friends in different circles and they all had the same reactions :ohno: :wtf2: .. but this news really saddens me.. now it looks like my R33 dreams will be put on hold until 2020 or until I hit the lotto.. now I gotta look for another S14 to satisfy my need for RB power..

MrMello5
95 Nissan 240SX -gone-

The CRX and Miata were imported to the USA, so they HAVE to pass US safety standards. The Skylines were not, so they do not pass US Safety standards. Have you ever seen pictures of wrecked Skylines? They crumble like a beer can because the Safety Standards in Japan, at the time and maybe still, are not as strict as America's are. The main issue is the doors and reinforced steel bars need to be inserted into them to basically make them legal.

Just wait for the 25 year rule if you want one legally. 2014 the first R32's can come to America.[/quote]

I'll bet the price for 32s will skyrocket.. looks like that's the best bet though..

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

Yeah get your stuff now and hide it til 2014. Shame. The only GTR I really wanted to get my hands on would be an R32 and I know that will never happen.

Axoure Dragonkin
Car: '92 Nissan 240sx se

I love how almost every poster on discussion has blamed the govt for over reaching, treading on the peoples rights, spending too much money, having nothing better to do, Obama being a Muslim, not showing us a birth certificate, death panels for grandma, taking over health care, mandatory abortions, taking away our guns, and activist judges.

Nobody, has mentioned the facts here:

Nissan did not export Skylines to the US when they were in production. If Nissan had not underestimated the US market for turbo cars (why we got the KA instead of the SR) we would not be having this discussion.

Motorex, a private small business company AKA the almighty GOD of laissez faire economics, DID NOT complete the crash testing as required by the NHTSA. They tried to pull a fast one. If they had done the right thing and complied with the rules instead of cheating, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Their business practices are why we have regulations in the first place.

I build commercial airplanes for a living. If Motorex, made jumbo jets, wouldn't you be glad the FAA is all over their a** for violations, keeping your family members from dropping out of the sky. BTW, you don't even want to know what fines are like in the aerospace industry...

VandrelSOUSA was accused of operating a illegal importing ring, unfortunately. A sad result of which his car (which had been imported illegally by another person years ago) got caught up in it. He thought he had a legal car and didn't.

Now, I personally don't care if they are safe or not. If you want to drive one, go for it. Modify it however you like, in my opinion. The only person you are affecting is yourself.

Just like I personally don't care if you smoke pot or not. I'd rather you smoke legal and taxed pot that you bought at the gas station because it would cut off the cartels knees, fix some of the immigration problem, and fix a large portion of our budget problems as well.

I don't agree with these seizures, but I can't fault the govt either. The part that is worst is that it is the owner of the vehicle left holding the bag at the end. This is just an unfortunate situation all around.

The only real people who are 100% at fault are these shady import companies who sell you a Skyline knowing full well that they are sticking it to you. Even more than them, blame Motorex.

Jesda

Axoure Dragonkin wrote:I love how almost every poster on discussion has blamed the govt for over reaching, treading on the peoples rights, spending too much money, having nothing better to do, Obama being a Muslim, not showing us a birth certificate, death panels for grandma, taking over health care, mandatory abortions, taking away our guns, and activist judges.

I build commercial airplanes for a living. If Motorex, made jumbo jets, wouldn't you be glad the FAA is all over their a** for violations, keeping your family members from dropping out of the sky. BTW, you don't even want to know what fines are like in the aerospace industry...

So you complain about dumb comparisons, and then a few paragraphs later make a dumb comparison.

Nice work, brah.

Axoure Dragonkin

Jesda wrote:
Axoure Dragonkin wrote:I love how almost every poster on discussion has blamed the govt for over reaching, treading on the peoples rights, spending too much money, having nothing better to do, Obama being a Muslim, not showing us a birth certificate, death panels for grandma, taking over health care, mandatory abortions, taking away our guns, and activist judges.

So you complain about dumb comparisons, and then a few paragraphs later make a dumb comparison.

Nice work, brah.
I didn't say anything about comparisons in the first paragraph. I'm enumerating the rest of the beliefs that these folks have, and how silly they are using a comic tone.

In my paragraph about Motorex, I'm offering a legitimate view of a vital govt agency that protects the public from harm. Yes, I deal with FAA regulations every day. Yes, they are a pain in the a**. But they serve a vital role in the well being of the traveling public.

These people who want to slash every regulation on the book so we go back to days before Nixon signed the EPA into law never mention the FAA. WHY? Because it would be political suicide to tell the public we will no longer inspect planes on a regular basis.

Motorex did not fulfill their duty as importer, bottom line. I'm just encouraging the folks out there to blame the people actually responsible.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

...and we all see how good those inspections are. ;)

VandrelSOUSA

Axoure Dragonkin wrote:I didn't say anything about comparisons in the first paragraph. I'm enumerating the rest of the beliefs that these folks have, and how silly they are using a comic tone.
A proper comparison would be Boeing selling a passenger plane to Delta, telling Delta the plane is good to go while knowning it's not. Delta later gets the book tossed at them by the FAA about their plane that was "good to go" that is infact 'not'. Your comparison would be that the FAA should persue Delta and not Boeing, does that make sense to you?

Or how about this one since we're fast tracking into la la land: Company "A" buys car "1" and ships it to country "X" knowing that car "1" should NOT be shipped to country "X". Car "1" arrives at company "A" in country "X" and is sold to customer "Z" who in turn sells it to buyer "1" who in turn sells it to buyer "2". Company "A" registers car "1" in country "X" originally, customer "Z" transfers registration to state "A", buyer "1" transfers to state "G", buyer "2" transfers to state "R". 8 years later, Ooooopsies... Government agency "E" found buyer "2"'s car to be (not on record) and therefore proceedes to remove car "1" from country "X" to make "XYZ" profit for agency "C" to justify a physical year budget for agency "E".

Make sense now?

Now take the above equation and multiply it by 100 each physical year budget. You've just created government jobs and funding which equals your tax dollars hard at work. Agency "E" appreciates your funding and wants to thank you by taking people's property for personal profit towards future budget justification power point slides.

AZhitman
Administrator

Minor quick correction: Fiscal, not physical.

Carry on! :dblthumb:

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

VandrelSOUSA wrote:
Or how about this one since we're fast tracking into la la land: Company "A" buys car "1" and ships it to country "X" knowing that car "1" should NOT be shipped to country "X". Car "1" arrives at company "A" in country "X" and is sold to customer "Z" who in turn sells it to buyer "1" who in turn sells it to buyer "2". Company "A" registers car "1" in country "X" originally, customer "Z" transfers registration to state "A", buyer "1" transfers to state "G", buyer "2" transfers to state "R". 8 years later, Ooooopsies... Government agency "E" found buyer "2"'s car to be (not on record) and therefore proceedes to remove car "1" from country "X" to make "XYZ" profit for agency "C" to justify a physical year budget for agency "E".
ROFLCOPTER to the 99th percentile squared.

Axoure Dragonkin

VandrelSOUSA wrote:
Axoure Dragonkin wrote:I didn't say anything about comparisons in the first paragraph. I'm enumerating the rest of the beliefs that these folks have, and how silly they are using a comic tone.
A proper comparison would be Boeing selling a passenger plane to Delta, telling Delta the plane is good to go while knowning it's not. Delta later gets the book tossed at them by the FAA about their plane that was "good to go" that is infact 'not'. Your comparison would be that the FAA should persue Delta and not Boeing, does that make sense to you?
First, that's not a fair because I wasn't doing a comparison. I was offering a view of well designed proper regulations that affect our lives every day and are generally well liked.

Here's the comparison: Boeing sells a plane to Delta. Delta modifies it and sells it to Southwest, but loses all the paperwork. The FAA says that's okay as long as you get it to us. Delta delivers the plane to Southwest. Delta fakes the paperwork. FAA says this paperwork is fake, you are going to jail. FAA says where did that plane go.

The FAA does fine the maker like you said. The FAA fines the owners for skipping manteince, which happens a lot. Generally, the FAA works to resolve design problems as seen in the Southwest incident.

No, my entire point is that the situation sucks. I would prefer the govt not take your car. But the companies that set you up for that (however many title transfers back) are the ones at fault for being shady.

But please don't get mad at me for blaming shady guys who blows hundreds of thousands of dollars at hostess clubs, buys a b**** a 25k car, and drops a s*** load of company money on coke. (Motorex)

AZhitman: by your logic, since an incident happens we should do away with the FAA, tell that to the thousands of passengers who land safely every day

Axoure Dragonkin

Ghoztt
Car: yeah right

Signed up to SEMA SAN. What's the latest VandrelSOUSA? I want to protect our rights and our hobbies!

Jesda

Axoure Dragonkin wrote:First, that's not a fair because I wasn't doing a comparison. I was offering a view of well designed proper regulations that affect our lives every day and are generally well liked.
*grabs collar*

That's a comparison. You offered an example, a flawed one, and used it to demonstrate a standard that you illogically tried to reapply to a different situation.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Axoure Dragonkin wrote: In my paragraph about Motorex, I'm offering a legitimate view of a vital govt agency that protects the public from harm. Yes, I deal with FAA regulations every day. Yes, they are a pain in the a**. But they serve a vital role in the well being of the traveling public.

These people who want to slash every regulation on the book so we go back to days before Nixon signed the EPA into law never mention the FAA. WHY? Because it would be political suicide to tell the public we will no longer inspect planes on a regular basis.

Motorex did not fulfill their duty as importer, bottom line. I'm just encouraging the folks out there to blame the people actually responsible.
People who buy Skylines usually do so with the knowledge that they are illegal in stock form. It's not like these are popping up all over Craigs List with the "public" accidentally buying them as cheap transportation. There should be a way for consumers who want to pay a premium should be able to bring these cars in without worrying about someone banging down their door. Have it handled at the licensing level such that a waiver must be signed each time the car is registered as an acknowledgment that they did not meet standards.

As far as the cars crumpling like beer cans, so what? I can register/purchase/build a fiberglass kit car with no issue and those things would not stand up to hardly any collision at all. I can also go purchase a old highboy roadster or a older car with relatively no safety standards. Each of those would be far more dangerous than a Skyline.

AZhitman
Administrator

^ THIS.

That "vital gov't agency" MAY have functions that "protect the public".

However, when they exceed the scope of their intended function, or misuse their "powers" in ways that aren't directly in line with their mission statement, or they misapply the rule of law in an unfair or illogical manner, then it's incumbent upon me, as a taxpayer, to check those powers and lobby for that agency to be "reined in".

Ghoztt

I wonder how many people have had theirs seized when they weren't the 1st owners or importers of such said skyline? And did you have a 17-digit VIN (re-VIN'd?) or Japanese market VIN?

VandrelSOUSA

Ghoztt wrote: What's the latest VandrelSOUSA?
I don't want to spoil everything all at once but let's just say the government didn't have their s*** in order and got more then they planned for when they jumped in my s***.

Process is slow, nothing major to pass just yet until a few more things develop a tad more.

For everyone's essay on this, our legal team is costing us $495 an hour so don't be shy to donate to the cause. We've raise a lot of money since the first week of March and it's come in handy thus far but we're always open to financial supporters. This is a very "big picture" move that also has to do with Kaizo. While each car has it's own story, there still is a big picture in the works that all can relate to in some fashion. Ideas and plans are on the table, several steps have already been made but the "waiting game" seems to be the most that's occuring during these times.

Since it has not been touched on yet, anywhere, there was another car seized which had some unique circumstances behind it. For those wondering, the car was not a bond released car. So understand that the big government machine is still out there and still looking for people and their cars.

If anyone wishes to help our legal case please feel free to donate to our official PayPal fund, ([email protected])

As soon as more worthy information is available I will be sure to spread the word.

Ghoztt

Hmm, I will donate a few bucks. I wonder if I should be worried about mine. Please save the R32's!

Return to “General Chat”