BREAKING NEWS! Nissan GTR Engine Revealed

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

Corvette owners won't be "threatened" by the GTR any more than a GTR owner would be "threatened" by a newer and badder Corvette (i.e. C7).

Normal reasonable people aren't so emotionally invested in their cars that they get genuinely worked up when something newer and faster comes out. If you are, then there's probably something wrong with you.

That said, even if the GTR is faster, it will likely win very few converts in the Corvette community. Likewise, I think that few 350Z or Evo/STI owners who are potential GTR buyers would seriously consider a Corvette.

They're so different anyway, I thought I squashed this on Page 2. The GTR will likely feel a lot more like a 911TT than a Corvette.

Jesda

AZhitman wrote:All of a sudden, the styling and "cachet" of the 'vette will look dated and tired. Just watch....
Friend, thats a silly statement. Even during the crappy years of the 'Vette, Americans wanted a 'Vette. Icons are icons, and the GTR will have to earn that status by being excellent on all marks:--Being butt-ugly is not a good start.--Being a product of modern-day Nissan is not a good start.

It's refreshingly ambitious, but I suspect dealer idiocy, initial quality problems, manufacturing inconsistency, and design defects will keep it from succeeding during its first couple years of production.

I hope I'm wrong. Usually I'm not.

usdm_180sx
Car: 1993 base model 240sx (s13)

Jesda wrote:
Friend, thats a silly statement. Even during the crappy years of the 'Vette, Americans wanted a 'Vette. Icons are icons, and the GTR will have to earn that status by being excellent on all marks:--Being butt-ugly is not a good start.--Being a product of modern-day Nissan is not a good start.

It's refreshingly ambitious, but I suspect dealer idiocy, initial quality problems, manufacturing inconsistency, and design defects will keep it from succeeding during its first couple years of production.

The GT-R is an automotive icon.

Veriest1
Car: '96 M3 and '93 240 coupe dd

S14SRPilot wrote:
True... every where else in the world. It's image, compared to the Vette, is still relatively young in America. The real question is how well it will do here in comparison to the rest of the world. If you asked the average American if they would recognize a Corvette they probably could. Comparatively, very few would know what a Skyline or GTR is.

Hopefully Nissan doesn't ruin the GTR relatively fledgling image in America before they can get a foot hold.
Modified by Veriest1 at 4:12 PM 8/19/2007

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

Nissan is not fledgling in America, neither is the Corvette a worldwide icon. People need to examine their comparisons in both directions.

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

Jesda wrote:It's refreshingly ambitious, but I suspect dealer idiocy, initial quality problems, manufacturing inconsistency, and design defects will keep it from succeeding during its first couple years of production.

Nah, the car just has to be "good enough" to succeed. It doesn't seem like any of those would be a deal-breaker.

Veriest1

redtop91 wrote:Nissan is not fledgling in America, neither is the Corvette a worldwide icon. People need to examine their comparisons in both directions.
Veriest1 wrote:
True... every where else in the world. It's image, compared to the Vette, is still relatively young in America. The real question is how well it will do here in comparison to the rest of the world. If you asked the average American if they would recognize a Corvette they probably could. Comparatively, very few would know what a Skyline or GTR is.

Hopefully Nissan doesn't ruin its fledgling image in America before they can get a foot hold.
Sorry, "its" in that last sentence is still referring to the GTR like it is in every other part of my post that addresses your point.

My previous post has now been edited for clarity.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

S14SRPilot wrote:
Yes, it is.

But not on the scale the 'Vette is.A lot of (I'd even venture to say "Most") Americans couldn't tell you what a Skyline is, and even more have no clue what a GTR is. Being famous among a select group of Japanese car afficionados is not enough to rival the 'Vette on American soil.The new GTR will have to build it's reputation.I don't see that being a problem. People who buy cars like the GTR aren't going to be scared off by looks alone (look at Porsche...people buy them, don't they?). And besides...I think the car looks great, and I'm about as picky as they come.

And while I agree with Jesda that today's Nissan isn't as great as the Nissan of yore, I don't share his apocalyptic view that all things Nissan these days are complete crap.

redtop91

Indeed. The comparisons to the Corvette should end after price range an power, which incidentally have nothing to do with performance. Corvette's are as popular as they are because they are the cars that the generation that can now afford them dreamed of as kids. I agree with MoD in that the GTR's reputation will have to be established to meet some of the lore surrounding the Corvette. The 911TT is Nissan's aim with this car, not the Corvette. It may out perform even the highest end current C6's but it does NOT have the nostalgia or midlife crisis appeal that the 'Vette has, which will IMO prevent the older crowd from buying it. The rich 20-40 year old crowd will be the main draw for the GTR. Unfortunately there are far more rich 50+ years olds than 20-40. The last generation of Japanese Supercar went extinct because they were exorbitantly priced, well outside the range of potential buyers. I fear the same mistake is being made here.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

Remember, the GTR isn't going to meaningfully compete with Corvette sales even if it turns out to be 100x better than the C6. They're going to make this thing in TINY quantities, well less than 10,000 in the US the first year, I assure you.

Jesda

S14SRPilot wrote:The GT-R is an automotive icon.
No, especially outside of JDM enthusiast circles. It has a solid reputation, but it isn't an icon in the world's largest auto market. It can certainly become one, but it takes a lot of success and time to catch up with a half-century legacy.

redtop91

I'm curious how the Corvette is being heralded as a world icon then... A great auto no doubt, but far from a hot commodity outside the US.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

This is one where you have to consider the "world-view".

Go to any other country (Australia, the UK, Eastern Europe, Japan, Germany) and ask them:

"GTR or Corvette?"

My bet is most choose the GTR.

It's a very "ugly American" POV to think that, even as a US cultural icon with over 50 years' heritage, that the world shares our "hot dog / baseball / apple pie / Corvette" enthusiasm.

And yes, very soon, the styling and "cachet" of the 'vette will look dated and tired, just as it did in the 80's. Especially given the influx of new, radically-designed supercars from Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Hyundai.

Jesda

AZhitman wrote:And yes, very soon, the styling and "cachet" of the 'vette will look dated and tired, just as it did in the 80's. Especially given the influx of new, radically-designed supercars from Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Hyundai.
Thats an amusingly ambitious statement.

Veriest1

It's quite possible that the only reason the Corvette is on any enthusiast's radar in the rest of the world is because of the C5R's success at Le Mans. Not sure if this is true but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Jesda

I cant figure out why the Corvette and GTR have to take away from each other. The average Corvette buyer doesnt know or care what a GTR or Skyline is/was, and vice versa.

In the 90s, the 300ZX, 3000GT, and RX-7 expanded the sports car market but didnt have any adverse affect on the Corvette's popularity.

It makes no sense to believe that the GTR would in any way 'harm' the Corvette, as Japanese sports cars have always appealed to different customers.

Its the same way Tundra buyers are mostly Toyota car owners, not crossover domestic pickup owners.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

yup...and the Corvette is kinda like a precision hammer where in the GT-R is a technologically advanced bread knife or something....

both do the same thing...just different.

and in that...I mean make an awesome race sandwich.

usdm_180sx
Car: 1993 base model 240sx (s13)

Jesda wrote:
No, especially outside of JDM enthusiast circles. It has a solid reputation, but it isn't an icon in the world's largest auto market. It can certainly become one, but it takes a lot of success and time to catch up with a half-century legacy.
Sorry but it IS in fact an icon. Take a look at automotive video games. The Skyline GT-R is on all the popular games. At the LEAST, Americans in general will recognize the letters GT-R

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

S14SRPilot wrote:
Sorry but it IS in fact an icon. Take a look at automotive video games. The Skyline GT-R is on all the popular games. At the LEAST, Americans in general will recognize the letters GT-R
They'll recognize the letters, but they probably won't associate them with "Nissan" outside of people who play video games and Japanese car enthusiats. The Skyline/GT-R simply does not have much name recognition in this country. The Corvette and 911 are legends to the average American. The GT-R will be an unknown. While it can certainly build up the image, I think it would greatly benefit it to wear an Infiniti badge. Like it or not many people buy these kind of cars based on image as much as performance. People don't see a Corvette and think "Chevy", but they will see the GT-R and think "Nissan", and from a brand image standpoint that's not a good thing. Most people just don't associate Nissan with cars in the Corvette/911 class.

For another reason the GT-R should be an Infiniti, consider this: the average Infiniti owner bringing their car in for dealer service is more likely to be able to afford a GT-R than the average Nissan owner bringing their car in. Someone who owns an M45 probably has more money than someone driving an Altima, and thus is more likely to be able to afford a fun car like a Corvette. If the M45 owner sees the GT-R when he brings his car in for an oil change, he will check it out and maye consider it when he goes to buy a "weekend car". The Altima owner is less likely to have the disposable income to afford a GT-R, so its presence at the Nissan dealership is not as likely to induce an existing owner to purchase it.

redtop91

MattB wrote:
For another reason the GT-R should be an Infiniti, consider this: the average Infiniti owner bringing their car in for dealer service is more likely to be able to afford a GT-R than the average Nissan owner bringing their car in. Someone who owns an M45 probably has more money than someone driving an Altima, and thus is more likely to be able to afford a fun car like a Corvette. If the M45 owner sees the GT-R when he brings his car in for an oil change, he will check it out and maye consider it when he goes to buy a "weekend car". The Altima owner is less likely to have the disposable income to afford a GT-R, so its presence at the Nissan dealership is not as likely to induce an existing owner to purchase it.
wow. Infiniti does not make sports cars. I've said it before and will say it again. If anything it'd be a mistake to brand it as an Infiniti because Nissan has more of a sports car image than Infiniti. The number one owner of the GTR will be the guy who looks for outright performance in a car rather than Ipod connectivity and heated leather seats. Ok maybe that was an extreme but the crowd Infiniti appeals to has anything but performance as a first priority. I also find it equally amusing when you say that Nissan doesn't make cars that compete in the Corvette/911 class when every Nissan outperforms its Infiniti counterpart.
Modified by redtop91 at 8:58 PM 8/19/2007

cmfireman
Car: 96' S14 SE

Nissan doesn't even have to try and sell this car.

There will only be a handful of these shipped over when they are first introduced, and whoever wants one and has the money for one will buy it. It doesn't matter what they think about Corvettes or 911's.

I guarantee that once they start running out at dealerships people will want them to ship over more.

Rich people like excess. The GTR looks like an excessive car, but costs much less than a Lambo/Ferrari, so they will simply scoop it up so they can show it off on the next episode of Cribs just to say they have one.

Everybody has a Corvette/Porsche. Owning the GTR will be the exclusive/VIP thing to do for a while, and then sells will drop off.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I didn't imply that the GTR will take away Corvette sales.

Just like people will always buy Chevy Cobalts and Ford Pickups (read: retards), there will always be buyers for the Corvette.

What I DO mean is that the Corvette has not changed substantively since 1984. Period.

The styling is already looking "dated", and there's already an undercurrent of distaste for the 'vette (bumper sticker: Corvettes are for Senior Citizens), regardless of its impressive performance and incredible heritage.

I do believe that the potential 911 / Vette buyer will be more inclined to select something more technologically advanced and with more "street cred" in the coming few years, especially with the under-50 set.

Jesda

AZhitman wrote:The styling is already looking "dated", and there's already an undercurrent of distaste for the 'vette
Nonsense!!!! Would you say the same of the 911? The Corvette has found a look thats both futuristic and current, while retaining its recognizability. Porsche has done the same.

Hell, 911 owners are mostly lawyers, doctors, managers -- older men with money. Guess what segment of the population is most able to afford sports cars? OLD WHITE GUYS.

You're so caught up in GTR fever that you've lost sight of market realities.

Jesda

S14SRPilot wrote:Sorry but it IS in fact an icon. Take a look at automotive video games. The Skyline GT-R is on all the popular games. At the LEAST, Americans in general will recognize the letters GT-R
Wow, Civics are in video games too. Excellent criteria! I'll buy myself a Civic Hybrid and take it to Woodward.

krimsonviper
Car: 2010 MS3 -PAID
2010 Mazda 3i Touring -Totaled
2006 Mazda 3i Sport -Totaled
1989 S13 -Sold
1990 S13 -Sold

i would say the same for porsche. honeslty both cars are things of beauties, but can you go down a road spot a vette or a porsche and honestly still go "ooOooOOOOoO"?

cmfireman
Car: 96' S14 SE

Absolushun wrote:i would say the same for porsche. honeslty both cars are things of beauties, but can you go down a road spot a vette or a porsche and honestly still go "ooOooOOOOoO"?
Hell yes. Everytime I see a Z06 or a non-boxter Porsche I damn near cream my pants. Same thing happens with 1st Gen Camaros.

Jesda

MattB wrote:For another reason the GT-R should be an Infiniti, consider this:
Those are some sound arguments, but like Redtop said, the Nissan brand and its racing history are more oriented toward sports cars. I think Nissan will do what GM (Vette) and Ford (GT) did and train certain people at certain dealers to sell and service the GTR.

I just hope Nissan can pull it off.

Jesda

Absolushun wrote:i would say the same for porsche. honeslty both cars are things of beauties, but can you go down a road spot a vette or a porsche and honestly still go "ooOooOOOOoO"?
You own a Mazda 3. I own a bland Lexus. You're lying if you think either of us are that jaded or elevated.

krimsonviper
Car: 2010 MS3 -PAID
2010 Mazda 3i Touring -Totaled
2006 Mazda 3i Sport -Totaled
1989 S13 -Sold
1990 S13 -Sold

Jesda wrote:
You own a Mazda 3. I own a bland Lexus. You're lying if you think either of us are that jaded or elevated.
i dont think we're jaded, but in my area i spot vettes on almost every corner. i will spot a 911, but to me the look is played out, the old school ones and the new school ones are pretty much the look, granted they've gotten prettier, but the new ones just looks like they are modded old ones. i like my cars to have make overs if they are going to bring in new generations.
Modified by Absolushun at 10:29 PM 8/19/2007

redtop91

Jesda wrote:
I just hope Nissan can pull it off.
I sure do too. I don't think they'll be able to recover the brand from a screw up once it is formally introduced here. Although even is PR isn't great, but it performs and it fails that will mean a cheaper resale value for me to pick one up

Return to “General Chat”