Breakfast for 40...or two for a while.

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

I thought I'd let you in on my latest breafast that I've finally gotten down. Hashbrowns delux.

We've all seen those Jimmy Dean skillets, and I thought I'd copy it.

Here's a list of the ingredients I use, but my ratio's and prices may be a bit off because most of the vegi's I get come from people's gardens. Since I don't buy them, and I didn't weigh them, I am just approximating.

Code: Select all

Food	              Amount	Price/unit	  Units	Total
Potatoes	                         10lb	2.50-3.00	     1	2.50-3.00
Green peppers	               7ea	 0.79/ea	     7	5.53
Onions	                               4lbs	 1.19/lb	     4	4.76
Red peppers	               4ea	 1.29/ea	     4	5.16
Jalapeno's	                           5-6 large	 1.79/lb	    0.5	0.90
Smoked Turkey Sausage	2lbs	 2.50/lb	     2	5.00
Bacon	                                 1lb	 3.50/lb	     1	3.50
Total	                               ~20lbs			27.35-27.85

Yeah, as you can see, it makes about 20lbs of food. Here's the hard part, seasoning and storage. If you're making this to be cooked that morning, then you can season it however you want. If you're making a large amount to freeze and use at later dates, like me, you cannot use salt. You can add all the non-sodium seasoning you want prior to freezing; Pepper, garlic, Mrs. Dash, etc. Using salt causes the moisture to come out of the potatoes and other vegi's which, as it's freezing, causes the whole thing to freeze together in a huge chunk. Not cool.

You want to dice up the onions, green and red peppers, bacon, and turkey sausage into about 1cm squares/cubes. The jalapeno's you'll want real small. The potatoes I have those cut in about 1cm x 1cm x 2cm chunks. Once everything is cut up, add your seasoning and mix.

You can store it in those gallon ice cream buckets, plastic bags, tupperware, etc. When it's time to cook, scoop out what you need, oil your pan, and cook medium-high heat for 15-20min stirring every minute. This will get everything nicely brown/burnt. Lower your heat, push it off to the side and stir in your eggs to scramble. 6 eggs per 1-1.5lbs is a pretty good ratio.

Obviously you can reduce the amount you cook. I used 10lbs of potatoes but you can also buy 5lb bags and half everything.

drksolest
Car: 91 240sx coupe

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm looks like YUM! Sounds like a good breakfast for at the cabin with a bunch of friends!

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

those things are good...I <3 potatos in the morning.

sometimes I'll butcher a few russets and make homefries for eggs.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Here's my hashbrowns from the freezer

Cooked.

Cooked with the scrabbled eggs mixed in.

I'm out and need to make some more.

Return to “Around the House”