Brakes Locking Up - Read Before You FIX!!! Save MONEY$$$

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
ph223048

My brakes on my 2006 Armada that I bought back in 2005, started locking down about two months ago. I took it in to the dealer and a few other shops, and like many other post's on this site, they said they could not find anything wrong. After two months, I fixed the issue, and when searching Google, this seems to be a common issue with other Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.

Here is what I did in this specific order:

1. Replaced both front brake lines and flushed old brake fluid from entire system and replaced with new fluid - because when I bled the lines, the brakes would release. There was a post that said the rubber brake lines inside the tire well could collapse internally, so the lines were replaced first.

2. Replace Master Cylinder - Still sticking, so I replaced this unit.

3. Replaced both calipers on the front only - Still sticking. This actually made it worse than it originally was, probably because they could slide easier, and probably because of the new brake lines.

4. Replaced Power Brake Booster Check Valve - This fixed the issue for around $6.00 and about 10 minutes of my time.

If you start having brake issues where they lock down, replace the Brake Booster Check Valve on the Brake Booster first. This would have saved me a lot of time and money too, but I have a whole new brake system up front on the plus side. The negative side, it cost me many hours of work, and around $700.00 in parts. I am convinced the $6.00 part would have fixed it the first time.

06qx56
Car: 2006 Infiniti QX56

ph223048 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:25 am
My brakes on my 2006 Armada that I bought back in 2005, started locking down about two months ago. I took it in to the dealer and a few other shops, and like many other post's on this site, they said they could not find anything wrong. After two months, I fixed the issue, and when searching Google, this seems to be a common issue with other Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.

4. Replaced Power Brake Booster Check Valve - This fixed the issue for around $6.00 and about 10 minutes of my time.

If you start having brake issues where they lock down, replace the Brake Booster Check Valve on the Brake Booster first. This would have saved me a lot of time and money too, but I have a whole new brake system up front on the plus side. The negative side, it cost me many hours of work, and around $700.00 in parts. I am convinced the $6.00 part would have fixed it the first time.
Hi, I know my reply is 4 yrs after your post (haha!). The last couple of years, my 2006 Infiniti QX56 has had the locking brake issue happen more often and sporadically. I rarely drive it now and only if I absolutely have to (which is rare). The brakes lock at slow speeds (fortunately); for example, when or as I'm slowing down to pull into a parking space or after I've pulled out of my drive way. To "unlock" the brakes, I'd have to shift the truck in Park (after which there'd be a pop and the truck would jump forward) and turn the ignition off then on again. I recently used the truck on a short trip and luckily no brake lock; but, I still don't trust it !!

Do these scenarios similarly describe the occasions when your brakes would lock?

Have your brakes locked since you replaced the Power Brake Booster Check Valve? Also, do you have a part number for the check valve?

Thank you, in advance!

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”