Brake pad question

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
G37x2009
Car: 2009 infiniti g37x

What issue would you expect to have if you don't install the rear brake pads to fit in the notch in the caliper piston? Assuming somehow the piston turned and is no longer in the correct position.

G37x2009

Let me rephrase this....i don't remember what the piston looks like but I'm guessing it has the notch that needs to be set at the correct position to match the tab on the back of the brake pad?

I'm asking because my rear brakes are constantly making grinding sounds and I need to replace them in a week. Something is wrong.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

G37x2009 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:51 pm
Let me rephrase this....i don't remember what the piston looks like but I'm guessing it has the notch that needs to be set at the correct position to match the tab on the back of the brake pad?

I'm asking because my rear brakes are constantly making grinding sounds and I need to replace them in a week. Something is wrong.
Anything that makes the brake pads sit kaka to the rotor will wear them out and make noise. However, if you're burning up pads, it's more likely you have a stuck slider. Calipers that can't move freely side-to-side will cause not only noise and premature wear, but overheating of all the hardware on that wheel.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - Most pistons don't have any sort of alignment notch, if a notch exists it's usually for ventilation. Some pads do have raised dimples that sit at the edges of the inner piston bore, but they don't align with anything and can't end up in the wrong place because the shoulders on the pad locate them precisely in relation to the frame and caliper.

G37x2009

Thanks..something is definitely wrong. The car has been sitting quite some time with a flat so I will check the brakes again when I order a new tire. I'llclean everything and lube where needed I guess.
I'm forgetting which car I had to position the rear piston because of a detent that matches the pad.
I know my 81 pontiac has it. The piston gets pushed in, then rotated so the notch is at the top, the brake pad notch sits in it,,then you crank the parking brake to drive the piston out.
I believe that method of pin/detent is because the piston relies on the parking brake to "unscrew" the piston out. So it keeps it from spinning. Weird.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

G37x2009 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:18 pm
I believe that method of pin/detent is because the piston relies on the parking brake to "unscrew" the piston out. So it keeps it from spinning. Weird.
Yes, that's normal on a car with electric parking brakes, but Nissan hasn't used many of those until recently. I'm a Nissan guy and not Infiniti, but I believe your G37 will have a drum-in-disk parking brake. The tab on electrics is because you want an internal bearing surface doing the turning and not a steel cylinder screwing down on the back of the pad with little or no lubrication. That would beat up the pad's backing plate in a hurry.

G37x2009

Ok. Well I can't wait to take a look again. Last time I drove it, it made some horrible sound.
Thanks

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”