bought car with rattle can spray paint job. need help to remove it

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
TannerDanger
Car: 1999 Honda Civic // 1990 240sx hatch

Ok so i just bought my new s13 project, and the person i had before spray painted flat green camo spray paint on the car. It could have looked good except it was cracking in some spots and the interior and insides of doors under hood etc was the stock red color. So im working on getting rid of the paint. Ive been scraping it off with a plastic scraper thing, but it takes forever and doesnt work in some spots.

Does anybody know a really good way to get the paint off without damaging the stock paint too bad? thanks alot

-Tanner-

P.s. ive tried a tiny amount of paint thinner and wd-40 in non-noticable spots, and all it did was make it greesey and harder to get the paint off.

dusred
Car: Previous Q45 owner, 09 Corolla, Ford F250 Diesel truck

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If you are just preparing it for a new paint job is what I would do is just take some fine sand paper and knock all the loose stuff off and scuff the surface up good.

silpena
Car: Nis1993 san 240sx super hicas(wrecked)
soon to come to s-chasis

dude you can kiss your stock paint good bye. Just d.a. down with 80 grit for the spray paint and da it with 180 for the stock paint. I would also advise you use a quality wax$ greese remover on the whole before you do any sandin. That wd 40 will soak itself into the paint and cuase future problems with adheasion and fish eyes. another way is to use a chemical type od removing the paint. This will remove the spray easily and get all the paint. Tape off anything you dont want come in contact with(about3 layers or so) use it then wash it off. After this i would clean the metal with a metal cleaner then use an expoxy primer. Do your repairs. Primer it again. Block it and paint when the body is straight.

Return to “Detailing Forum”