Bose sub woofer in spare tire kindo weak?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Carlsbad
Car: Infiniti QX4 2003

Seems I can hardly hear any bass coming out of it from the driver seat. My son drove the car and swore it wasn't working. I checked the fuses and then took up the floor and put my ear too it while playing some rock and roll. Indeed there is some bass notes coming out of it. but not much.

Do others have similar opinions about their subwoofer? Mine is a 2018 Rogue SL AWD.

thanks in advance for your opinions.

--Jerry

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Yeah, that's really not how a subwoofer works, especially in an automobile. The sound range for a typical subwoofer is about 20–200 Hz. They are intended to augment the low frequency range of the other speakers that cover the higher frequency bands. The bass sound you're expecting to hear will be produced by the door speakers, most notably from the rear passenger doors.

Unless your rockin' the theme song from 2001: A Space Odyssey, don't expect hear a lot from the subwoofer. If you're not impressed with the overall tonal quality of the system in your car (most Rogue owners aren't), you might want to upgrade the speakers. You can do a search in this forum to see what others think of the Rogue sound system, and what they've done to improve it.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Correct me if I’m wrong, but only the oem Bose system comes with the subwoofer?

I tend to trust your kid and believe something is wrong. When we were young, we tend to know our sound systems.

Personally, now that I’m a dinosaur, I can live without it.

With that said, not only should you hear it, but you should FEEL it!

Like when somebody with a upgraded sound system is BEHIND you blaring out some music, you can FEEL your chest pounding even though you’re in another car.

When you said you put your ear to it and said some bass is coming out like it is trickling a bit; I found that odd and laughable at best. :slap:

Personally, I think the kid is right and maybe blew the speaker cuz they like it loud.

Rock & roll might not be the right music to test if the bass guitar is not that loud, you should try some old rap songs with the deep 808 kick drum to really test it. Try YouTube to find them.

And definitely feel some vibrations on your floorboards at least! :domo:

Carlsbad
Car: Infiniti QX4 2003

Thanks guys.

Yes, this is the bose system.

I've had a subwoofer in my home system that shakes the counch (on a concrete floor) for years. I know how they work and what they sound like...

I wouldn't expect the OEM system to sound like the kid in the next lane at the stop sign rocking 1000 watts, but would expect more than I'm getting. My son never drives this car. He has his own (hyundai) and prefers it. I agree that the door speakers might be a weakness also. However, with the bose system I think you're very limited on speakers since they use a very low impedence speakers. Funny story, in college I wrecked my new 1982 chevette. Wasn't my fault and the other party's insurance bought me a new car. I had $400 left over and had a bose sound system installed at the local stereo store...maybe the only chevette ever with a bose system. But that was before they started putting subwoofers in cars.

I bough this SUV used about a year ago and wish I'd paid closer attention and asked the dealer to check it out then. I'm sure they will blow me off now. I see a replacement subwoofer is $700 from the dealer and there are a lot of them used on ebay, with a guarantee, for $60-$80...hmmm.

Anybody with a bose system in their rogue live in NOrth San Diego County that we could get together and compare?

--Jerry

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

If the BOSE subwoofer in your 2018 is anything like what I had in both my 2011 & 2012 then I can say it is underwhelming. You know what they say about BOSE, "No highs, no lows, must be BOSE." BTW, have you given consideration to the possibility that there may be a problem with the amplifier? I seem to recall someone needing to replace theirs.

Frzninvt
Car: 2021 AWD Rogue SL w/Premium Package
Champagne Silver

You don't know the old saying? No highs, no lows it must be Bose. That said the Bose system in my 2018 SL thumps pretty good for what it is. I assume you have adjusted the bass, treble, balance, etc. already. You need the right content and a good quality recording for it to sound good. Don't expect that from the FM Radio. I thought there were two subwoofers in the premium Bose system, one in the front and one rear. The port for the front one is in the center of the dash as I certainly don't believe that is a center channel speaker in there.

Bass should not sound like 10 men beating on the side of a rubber raft, kids that think that is bass have no clue. I used to complete in sound quality 1-150 Watt class using high-current amplifiers on the IASCA circuit in the 90's and know what proper sub-bass should sound like. The bass should blend with the rest of the system and not be overwhelming otherwise you get the thunder and lightning affect. You can source low impedence mid-bass drivers you just need to see if they are 2 or 1 ohm. The folks at Crutchfield might be able to tell you that then you can source alternate midbass drivers.

Videoman123
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV

I totally agree! My Hyundai Sonata Limited which I traded to buy my 2019 Rogue SV with “Bose” audio had a system called “Dimension” with 6 speakers and one sub on the rear center shelf. Its sound system kicked butt in bass unlike the Bose in my Rogue. I was excited to hear my Rogue had a Bose audio system but frankly, I am very disappointed in the sound quality and inability to adjust the volume on the subwoofer only.

alaroche_eng
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

If I replace the OEM Bose amp of a Nissan Rogue SV 2016 with a 500Watts 4 channels, will I really get a better sound out of the speakers ? (only speakers, not subwoofer)

Return to “Rogue Forum”