Bose Studio Surround speaker buzz/rattle issue (2006 M35)--advice needed

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
scottm18
Car: 2007 M35
2011 AUDI S5

Hello all...I have a 2006 M35 I just got with only 30K original miles (and the much sought-after 14-speaker surround system). However the PARTS of course have 14 years of life on them. The Bose stereo is amazing with the right discs...but I have a very noticeable buzz from the front door speaker area AND the rear deck subwoofer areas (especially the rear deck). If I press down on both areas, i can suppress it, and with most content it sounds fine. However, if I play a bassy hi-rez DVD-Audio disc (such as Neil Young Harvest) and they will really go nuts. That tells me it has to be the housing area having issue/resonance...

I have no issue at all with the stock speakers sound itself--but has anyone experienced similar with the setup and found a solution? With the quirkiness of the basically non-upgradeable system. not sure whether to take it to an audio shop or the (expensive) dealer...
inside-2.jpg

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

At 14 years of age, your speakers are well past their expiration date. They're most likely buzzing because they're shot. You'll want to inspect the speaker cones. You can check each of them by running your fingers along them. Try looking for rips and/or tears in the cones. Even the smallest of rips and tears can cause a buzzing sound in a car stereo speaker as speaker cones are really delicate.

scottm18
2011 AUDI S5

Yes...I'm VERY curious to pull the door panel off and see what i find. Rear deck seems a bit more complex to get to. But it's interesting that i can quiet them down by pressing down on the grills (or in the case of the deck a weighty object on top)...

Hey...I don't care if i have to replace every speaker, cause at least it's outfitted with that great stereo as i have all the best DVD Audios that were released that sound superb in there (minus buzz). I replaced (but still have) a 2007 with 150K miles that did NOT have the system and there's no way to retrofit it. I'm sure i could use them as donor speakers if necessary (I believe main speakers are identical) as i hear no such issues with that car.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I'm not all too well versed in your vehicle, but can offer an option for you.

Here at NICO, we have Factory Service Manuals available free to members. Here's the link direct link 2006 M45-M35 FSM

2006 Infiniti M35/45 Technical Specifications, Features and Options (PDF)

Replacing speakers in the M

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Stuff often just gets loose on older vehicles with boomer sound systems, especially plastic panels. It helps a lot to be able to run a test frequency that keeps the resonance going so you can attack the problem with a stethoscope. Some N/I radios have built-in frequency generation in the self-test menus, but they generally do only a few frequencies. I keep an app called Frequency Sound Generator on my phone, it can pipe-in any arbitrary frequency I need over aux or bluetooth. FSG is my personal favorite but there are lots of similar apps out there.

scottm18
2011 AUDI S5

Thanks all for the advice--i will check out those videos. Here is the only resonance device I need---the 5.1ch MLP recording on this is incredible. I'm sure the 14-yr old speakers and enclosure dont stand much of a chance :)
dvda-2.jpg

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”