BOSE Audio Thread

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
rclem7
Car: 1995 Infinity J30

I just wanted to give my two cents worth for those of you that are replacing the head unit, but keeping all the factory amps. I see some people have mentioned using the LOC's (line output converter) to convert their high level output into a low level signal. Even though this will work, the LOC's often cost more and will add noise into the system. With most of todays better radios having at least a FRONT and REAR RCA outputs, all you need is a harness that incorporates these low level connections. Here is one like you will need, most aftermarket harness makers make them:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Q...07551I picked up one off ebay for $10 shipped. I just used it on my J30 with an older Clarion head unit and it works great. And that's my two cents worth!

carcrazyguy
Car: 89 240SX SE, 94 300ZX, 94 Q45

rclem7 wrote:I just wanted to give my two cents worth for those of you that are replacing the head unit, but keeping all the factory amps. I see some people have mentioned using the LOC's (line output converter) to convert their high level output into a low level signal. Even though this will work, the LOC's often cost more and will add noise into the system. With most of todays better radios having at least a FRONT and REAR RCA outputs, all you need is a harness that incorporates these low level connections. Here is one like you will need, most aftermarket harness makers make them:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Q...07551I picked up one off ebay for $10 shipped. I just used it on my J30 with an older Clarion head unit and it works great. And that's my two cents worth!
You are correct. But you have to realize that these days, almost everyone is using low bitrate mp3, and are more worried about deck cosmetics, etc. than anything. In other words, how many people would ever hear the difference or care.

Another problem is that Crutchfield or anyone else (to my knowledge) only makes such an adapter for the later Bose Nissans, while there is no such harness for the 90-96 Z / Q45 / 89-94 Maxima / M30, as they all utilize the older "84-94" dash harness. However, in theory one might be able to use Nissan's "older to newer" adapter with that harness, but this would cost over $40 for both. That would be a tough sell for most people, as they could care less about a mild sound improvement at the cost and inconvenience of ordering both pieces seperately.

Heck, many people won't even wait two to three days on proper a harness, and will hack up their car due to impatience. I repair several Z's, 240's, etc, for this reason yearly.

MakeItWayne

I bought an 02 I35 with the navigation unit. I noticed the CD changer in the trunk was missing but (foolishly) assumed this would be easy to replace. Well, Infiniti wants to charge ~$1300 for a new OEM changer. I've tried a salvage search service (uneedparts.com) and got a quote for $500. That's still insane for a CD changer, especially when you consider that aftermarket changers can be had for under $200.

1) Is there a way to get the OEM part for a reasonable price?

2) If not, is there an adapter or harness I can hook up to the existing connection in the trunk, that will let me connect another CD Changer? It's a 16 pin connection, and it's already running to the trunk and ready to go.

3) My assumption is that an RF CD changer is not the way to go, based on my experience with my Pathfinder. Is this correct?

4) Anyone want to buy a '98 Pathfinder?

I'd like to get this replaced since otherwise I can't use the navigation and listen to a CD at the same time (which is just stupid). But for $500, I'll have to live with it.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Modified by MakeItWayne at 12:05 PM 3/19/2008
Modified by MakeItWayne at 5:21 AM 3/20/2008

Stock300
Car: 1990 300z

Hey all, I've been following this thread as I have been wanting to play external audio on my head unit using the 5-pin din connector on the back. After much (much) digging I was able to find the pin configuration for my 1990 Clarion HU (PP-9383L). More specifically I was able to obtain the service manual for the cd changer (CDX-5N10W) and figure out the rest from there.

Facing the back of the head unit, the pins are arranged in the 10, 11, 12, 1, and 2 o'clock positions. They are:10 o'clock - ground11 o'clock - right channel12 o'clock - remote out1 o'clock - left channel2 o'clock - remote in

For my purposes, the pin at 12 o'clock doesn't do anything useful (+12V logic signal out when the HU is on and playing music on the radio). Placing a logic signal input of +12V on the pin at 2 o'clock switches the mode of the HU to aux input, the radio stops playing, and the antenna lowers. Removing the logic signal shuts down the HU completely and you have to power it up again to resume listening to the radio.

The logic signal is easy to achieve, you just need +12V from a source and I used a 1k ohm resistor between power and the pin at 2 o'clock (you might be able to skip using the resistor but I wouldn't recommend it, we want to limit the current flow). I was going to try and be fancy by using a switched 1/8" stereo phone jack to switch modes on the HU automatically, but I couldn't figure out a suitable solution without additional circuit components. So, I'll resort to a toggle switch or push button (not my favorite, but should work fine).

Hope this helps, my first post.

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Wow, that may be the best first post on NICO. Welcome and I hope you enjoy it here.

Stock300

Just glad to help where I can

Hollowbelly15
Car: '99 Maxima SE
'90 300ZX TT

I have a 99 Maxima with factory Bose HU. All I want is to get an Aux jack hooked up for my ipod. Anybody have a quick solution for that?

Stock300

UPDATE: I completed the mods to the HU according to what I posted earlier. Success! I drilled two small holes by the cigarette lighter, one for a 1/4" dia. pushputton and the stereo jack. After running the cable, tapping power from the lighter, and closing it all back up I'm pretty happy with the results. The plus is that I can close the ashtray door and effectively hide my "handiwork".

The input levels needed to drive the HU are pretty high (near the max of what my iPod can put out) but if I increase the HU volume I can back off the iPod volume and it works great!

Stock300

Looks like there are some options on crutchfield.com that are "plug and play".

Hollowbelly15
Car: '99 Maxima SE
'90 300ZX TT

thanks for the heads up.

Al Dave
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30

I am replacing my 94 J30 Head unit with an aftermarket HU which has two sets (4) preamp outputs.

After reading the infiniti forum I bought the adapter harness from crutchfield. However, the harness did not match. I bought the special adapter 142C4NN03 that was suggested for 94 J30. But it does not match with my car. In this message thread carlos_knology referred to his fuzzycats webpage as well to buy this.

http://fuzzycats.com/docs/bose_replacement.pdf

89-93 142C4NN02

94-up: 142C4NN03[url=http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142C4NN03/ ... =N&tp=3486

Digging throught more forum messages, I learnt that if the after market Head unit has pre-amp outputs then you dont need to buy this adapter.

Although in some messages people said that eventually the factory amps will get burnt due to higher voltage.

Can any one please clarify from experience or wisdom, if the adapter should be bought or not?

the converted
2020 Taco

I'm not sure why it says that harness works on 94+, 95 was the first year of the newer harness. Give Crutchfield a call let them know what is up and they should make it right for you.

Al Dave
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30

Let me rephrase it to the point.

All the new HU come with preamp outputs. If you use preamp outputs, do you need to buy the Nissan-Infiniti Factory Integration Adapter which you hav eto tweak in order to use factory speakers.

the converted
2020 Taco

Probably. In my experience, a lot of the pre-amp outputs don't put out enough power to the bose amps because they are somewhere in between in power levels. If you want to get some adapters to go from RCA to speaker wire, you could try it, but you are still going to need some adapter and can't just plug in. Regardless, it sounds like crutchfield sent you the adapter for a 95+ car.

bigaudiofanatic
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5 Manual

So what about the new 370z with bose system? Any stuff on that?

the converted
2020 Taco

What are you looking for? I'll see what I can dig up.

JBRhee28

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1999 Infiniti I30 with the factory bose stereo.

I purchased and installed the following:

-Sony CDX-GT700HD headunit
-4 Alpine SPS 600 speakers

I ordered the headunit from Crutchfield so they sent me the universal DIN pocket (which didn't fit), Nissan Antenna Adapter (worked flawlessly), nissan receiver wire harness and factory integration adapter.

I installed the head unit first and adjusted the gains appropriately, but the my speakers sounded distorted and WEAK. So i purchased the alpine speakers and installed one in the front door. I'm getting the exact same performance. :(

My questions are:

1) Do I have to remove the BOSE amplifier (bulky black box) that are attached to the bose speakers when I install the Alpine speaker even if I used the nissan/infiniti wire harness and factory integration adapter?

2) How do I remove the rear speakers? Do I have to remove it from the trunk, remove the speaker grill, or do I have to take the entire rear panel off? I'm having difficulty taking the speaker grill off. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated

:gotme :confused:

bob87
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano S

I am new to this site. I have a 2007 Murano S, I would like to upgrade the basic OEM stereo, Single CD, No SAT, No NAV. Can I buy an OEM Bose system and install it in my murano? Could i buy A facory NAV system with the Bose Stereo? I really want to be able to connect my iPod. Any after market suggestions for hooking up my iPod? Can a after market stereo be installed in this vehicle and if so, what modifications have to be made? I know I have thrown out a lot of different scenarios but not sure what to do or how to go about it.

PoorManQ45

bob87 wrote:I am new to this site. I have a 2007 Murano S, I would like to upgrade the basic OEM stereo, Single CD, No SAT, No NAV. Can I buy an OEM Bose system and install it in my murano? Could i buy A facory NAV system with the Bose Stereo? I really want to be able to connect my iPod. Any after market suggestions for hooking up my iPod? Can a after market stereo be installed in this vehicle and if so, what modifications have to be made? I know I have thrown out a lot of different scenarios but not sure what to do or how to go about it.
It is going to be much more work then it's worth and probably end up costing more then an aftermarket setup.

BQuigg
Car: 92 Infiniti Q45

Wondering what the piece behind passenger front speaker is. I am not getting sound out of passenger front and both rears, curious if this part could be the cause,

nlzswn
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45

I have a 93 Q45, the cassette player and cd player are both broken, so i want to replace the HU. I would also want to keep the bose amp/speakers. What will I need/is this an easy job to do myself?

KingOfBattle
Car: 2008 M45x

I have done my best to find out what wires correspond to what speakers on the 14 speaker Bose amp. I want to use the signal before it goes through the Bose amp so it is a "clean" signal.
:confused:
Has anyone done this? How have you added amps to your M and where did you make the connections? Are the wire colors different for an M that has the Mobile Entertainment System??

--2008 M45x

vickiathome
Car: '97 infiniti q45

on my q45 the volume knob on its factory bose system has gone rogue. turning the knob gives unexpected results, or no results at all. it takes some doing to get the right volume, but then a good song comes on, and you can't really turn it up... i find that if i squeeze the knob while i turn it, it seems to work a little bit better, but only somewhat, and sometimes. turning the knob to the right MAY turn it up. or down. or it may do nothing at all! it's frustrating~

short of replacing the whole deck (or whatever the thing is called!) is this something that can just be fixed? is it repairable? when i called around, the shops just wanted me to replace the stereo, since the car's so old, but it'll be costly to replace with another bose... it's got the cd/cassette/changer/tuner, and it's all awesome, except the volume knob.

any suggestions? can i have just the knob fixed? thanks for the advice!

(if it matters, i'm in sacramento, ca)

PodRacer
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45t

Hi, I'm new to forum so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place for this question.

My question centers around the wiring for a backup camera on my 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

I've already installed everything (i.e. Aftermarket Touchscreen Head unit, etc.) myself but was unable to wire the license plate backup camera because I could not determine which wires were which for the reverse lights after removing the inside upper trunk panel.

Can anyone please help me out with this? All I need to know is which is the positive and which is the negative wire for the reverse backup lights? Again this for a 1999 Q45t.

K03sport
Car: 04 Pathfinder. My first Nissan was a '72 Datsun 510 Wagon.

Just adding this here for others...replaced our failing/skipping 6-disk OEM Bose HU in our '04 Pathfinder SE with a JWC KW-R920BTS (from Crutchfield). Accompanying the install was a Scosche OEM Amplifier Integration harness v.4 p/n 142C4NN03, Nissan Antenna Adapter p/n 12040NI10, Metra Nissan Dash Kit p/n 95-7417, and a Pac-Audio SWI-RC Steering Wheel controller p/n 541SWIRC.

The install was fairly straight forward. The hardest part was soldering all the wires together. In the end, I had 4-5 ground wires that had to come together in the harness connection; however, this did not include the ground used by the OEM harness that had three wires that controlled the steering wheel inputs (wire #29). In any case, the radio fired up first time, no smoke, no drama.

Setting up the Pac-Adio SWI-RC steering wheel controller wasn't too hard, but I had to do it twice as I forgot to skip the 4th option on the JVC list as our steering wheel didn't have that ('mute' I think).

However, the install and steering wheel controls were only half the set-up battle. The next BIG hurdle was setting up the audio. Using the gain adjustments provided with the Scosche harness (set volume at 3/4 max --> 27 of 35), my gain adjustment pots ended up around the 11:55-12 o'clock position. I noticed with no other adjustments, the overall volume was much lower than the stock HU and most of my bass disappeared.

I tried the built in EQ presets,but it was only mildly better. I think I settled on the "Hard Rock" preset. For background, our stock HU was set at "Bass-02" and "Treble-03". The JVC's Audio selections were the most I'd seen on an aftermarket HU. I had to turn off the Sub-W and tell it not to "use" the pre-amp outputs. I had to select a x-over and type (2-way), freq pass through and speaker/tweeter size along with bass/mid/treb settings. I skipped the "virtual" sound enhancements as I felt they did not help the overall sound experience. In the end, it took about an hour to get the sound okay, IMO, but I think there is more tweaking necessary.

I also have the JVC set so that the volume stops at '25'. When not stopping at '25', I would get very noticeable distortion at 30 and at 35 (the max) the sound was not identifiable as music. I may have to go back into the dash and turn the gain pots on the adapter harness more toward the 11:00 mark.

If you are wondering why Crutchfield did not send the harness that uses the pre-amp RCAs (Metra 70-7551), well it turns out, after reading several posts on their site, there is consistent popping out of the speakers when switching between sources. Also, I think the space behind the new JVC unit would be extremely limited with the RCA plugs sticking straight out. Some 90* adapters could fix that I'm sure.

Not an overly hard install, but not exactly smooth like better either. Some plugging, lots of tweaking, then play. Probably a 5-6 out of 10 on the overall hardness/difficulty level. Thanks for reading. Let me know if you have any questions.

p.s.: I know to do it right, I will need to rip out all the Bose stuff or get the OE HU fixed.

[email protected]
Car: 2009 Nissan maxima sv

recently my complete system has been trying to boot and after several attempts the system goes out and the air conditioner goes to auto and I have no control, has this happened to anyone?

Roguerayd
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue

I've been reading and reading and researching and, well anyway, I still don't have clarity on this issue. I have a 10" Kenwood dvc driver with a Kicker 250.1 mono Amp that I had in my truck. The truck is sold and I want to put this subwoofer in my Rogue. I have a 2013 SV AWD with the Bose system. It has a ridiculous 5.25" "subwoofer" that sits in the spare tire rim. It's gotta be the poorest excuse for a subwoofer known to mankind. I have read so many confusing articles on how to accomplish this, a few of them being written right on this site. Does anyone have a definitive solution that can be interpreted into layman's terms? My main issue is what wires I should use and how to wire it in. I already have the power wire run from the battery in the engine compartment to the rear of the interior and I know how to wire the ground for my Kicker Amp. I just need to know which wires I need to get the rca signal and whether I need to use my KISLOC (Kicker hi/lo converter) I don't understand what's so complicated about this. I have a wiring diagram for a 2017 Rogue but it's slightly different than what's in my car. I've located the factory Bose Amp and I'm all ready to get this thing wired up but I don't want to mess with the Bose system any more than necessary, I just want a real subwoofer in my car.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There's a complete AV Section for the '13 in the ESM's here:

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 3%2FAV.pdf

The woofer wiring diagram is on AV-262, the complete pinout descriptions for the Bose Amp start on AV-253. Should be all the info you need.

Roguerayd
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue

Sweet, thanks for the link. Now that I have a proper wiring diagram my questions of where to tap in and whether I need the KISLOC are still unanswered? I read in one place that there's no need for the hi-lo converter and that it's as simple as just splicing the rca connectors directly to the car wiring? I also read a few different ones who said they weren't getting good volume from the hi-lo rca connections??? Apologies for the confusion but I want to get this right and only have to do it one time.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That part of it isn't my expertise, but I can tell you the Bose is a "dumb" amplifier using strictly analog inputs. On Bose vehicles the AV is simply configured to output lower amplitudes on the speaker wires and let the Bose amp them up, rather than driving power directly to speakers. So my guess is patching RCA's directly to the wiring would be fine.

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”