Boost + CVT

The web's first forum dedicated to the Nissan Juke and the Nissan Qazana.
WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

The CVT is designed not only to be efficient and get good mileage...blah...it also keeps the motor in the correct rpm ratio so the vehicle stays right in it's power curve. This effectively puts an end to turbo lag :yesnod If you're unfamiliar with turbo lag, the term represents the time between throttle input and full boost. On my 240 I don't see full boost till 3700 rpm. The Juke will have almost instant boost, probably close to a roots type blower.

What does that mean?

How about a torque curve that starts at throttle tip in and ends when the vehicle reaches max speed :dblthumb: Hopefully Nissan has beefed up the CVT, because the aftermarket is going to be huge for the Juke.

Now...how do I convince my wife that she needs one ;)

WD

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Put your damn seatbelt on. :)

WDRacing

I wonder how boost is regulated. Hopefully we can increase it fairly easy without having to deal with the ecu.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

You of all people should know better.

It's got an IR WG if I'm not mistaken, and you're welcome to diddle with it, as long as you increase fuel delivery.

WDRacing

I'm not up to speed with direct injection, bet new injectors won't be cheap. There are some really sweet sub-injection controllers available these days. Run a boost controller with more then one stage and you could have 75-80 more hp available at the flip of a toggle or button.

Thanks for giving me permission to "diddle", not sure what that has to do with wastegates though :chuckle:

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

WDRacing wrote:Thanks for giving me permission to "diddle", not sure what that has to do with wastegates though :chuckle:
Literally just LOLed.

mroxbury
Car: Nissan Versa 1.8L SL with CVT

:tisk: The CVTs are not performing on the Versas and the Altimas. Check the Forums for Versa and Altima on Edmonds.com

The CVT transmission is nothing new. CVT transmissions have been used on snowmobiles and other 2-cycle engines.

How can the CVT perform on an automobile which is to last for 200000-400000+ km?

The Juke has a very small engine..> what's the point? And what will the mileage actually be?

Design is bad, .....someone actually designed such an ugly thing?

What is Nissan - Renault thinking? Look at the CUBE design... it did not take off!

Nissan should handle all of its lemons out there first, before creating more shoddy product.
:frown:

Eikon

Of course the CVT is nothing new... It's a successful design that has been applied to automobiles now. If you are assuming that the CVT from a snowmobile was swapped into a car without any modification or enhancement, you would be silly. The idea is not new, but the substance of the parts are obviously newly designed. I have no reason to think the CVT transmission won't last 200k miles or more. Heck Nissan trusts it enough to fully warranty it for over 100k miles.

The gas milage.. 27/32 for fwd and 25/30 for awd. Not too shabby for an SUV with 188hp.

Ugly.. maybe.. I'm not a fan of the bug-eye lights in the front, but the rest of it isn't so bad.
The Cube has done well, I'm not sure why you don't think it's taken off.

WDRacing

mroxbury wrote::tisk: The CVTs are not performing on the Versas and the Altimas. Check the Forums for Versa and Altima on Edmonds.com

The CVT transmission is nothing new. CVT transmissions have been used on snowmobiles and other 2-cycle engines.

How can the CVT perform on an automobile which is to last for 200000-400000+ km?

The Juke has a very small engine..> what's the point? And what will the mileage actually be?

Design is bad, .....someone actually designed such an ugly thing?

What is Nissan - Renault thinking? Look at the CUBE design... it did not take off!

Nissan should handle all of its lemons out there first, before creating more shoddy product.
:frown:
Did you read any of my posts?

What is the point of a small engine with forced induction? Really? Did you just ask that?

I'm not sure what your problem with CVT is. You didn't really say anything clearly...you just kinda stated that the CVT isn't new and then gave a snowmobile for example. As if not being a new idea automatically makes the CVT bad.

Over all your post gets a FAIL. Try harder ;)

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

:spitout: :ohsnap

mroxbury
Car: Nissan Versa 1.8L SL with CVT

Does anyone have an engineering background here? Obviously there is a problem with CVTs and engines, and it's not just on Versa, Altimas. Check the other forums such as the Rogue.....

You're getting pretty defensive here, and it is not helpful to the people that are having problems with their vehicles.\

Remember, my Nissan dealership told me that 7% of their production is defective. Nissan knows about their problems, that is why they doubled the warranty on the CVT. I am waiting for the recall to cover North American Versas. However, go to Nissan Nippon site, and you will see that they are focusing on the electric engine. The 7 % of whining consumers are not important to them.

Mexico is a problem for them, and when they move production to India, assembly problems will get worse.

I have done my research, I have gone into different Forums, and I am very familiar with automobile assembly and manufacturing plants.

All I am masking is that Nissan and its' dealerships take care of their customers and take their LEMONS BACK!!!!

Eikon

We have a number of members who have engineering backgrounds. Heck, I think half the moderating staff does.

We're not so defensive to normal conversation, but since you are clearly only on the site to talk trash about Nissan because you are unhappy with yours, we all feel it necessary to bring some balance to the conversation.

Are you an engineer? Do you work in the auto industry? Stop pretending to be an expert and holding yourself above everyone else. It doesn't impress...

I suspect your Versa is still under warranty, so let Nissan fix your car and get on with your life.

GRey1
Car: 2015 Gun Metallic SL AWD w/Tech
2011 Chrome Nissan Juke SV CVT-AWD

Guess I should expect my transmission in my Juke to blow up any time now. :confused:

Eikon

yes.. It'll probably explode in a big fireball too. Cripes...

With any bit of technology, there are going to be growing pains. Most of these growing pains have been in the form of minor annoyances like vibrations or noise and not actual failures. Part of the problem is just people getting used to a different type of transmission. These are well built units that will last a very long time. Nissan is obviously standing behind them with a very long factory warranty. They have had the CVT's out for a number of years now and continue to use them more and more in their vehicles. Even the new Quest will have the CVT in it. If Nissan thought the growing pains were actually a problem, they wouldn't be investing so heavily in the technology.

Congrats on the new Juke GRey1. Great to have you aboard! Welcome to the forum!

PyR0NiAk

GRey1 wrote:Guess I should expect my transmission in my Juke to blow up any time now. :confused:
Nice to see a new guy with a sense of humor. :) Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

mroxbury wrote:Does anyone have an engineering background here?
I'm an engineer. What exactly is your argument?
It sounds like your problems are stemming from your dealership. We have had this happen before and actually have gotten results helping people out.

What you need to do is post your entire story (in a new thread, not in the juke forum) with every detail you can muster. From there we can contact the dealership, BBB, or Nissan North America.

JukieMcJukerson
Car: Nissan Juke

Let me just say that helping to decide on a car with a CVT was a nightmare for me. I was familiar with the technology, but wanted to get an idea of it's reliability vs. traditional automatic before I felt comfortable recommending it to anyone. I spent hours and hours every day for weeks analyzing the potential risk based on all available evidence. It is very difficult because as someone said, people never report success, only failures. Also, when a slushbox fails, it's not as "newsworthy" because it is an old technology. Nobody would ever say "i got one of those vehicles with that new fancy, high-tech hydraulic automatic transmission, and it let me down!". Well, at least nobody has said that for a long time. I bet the father or grandfather of everyone in the Jukes target demographic has discouraged people from buying cars with a slushbox on the grounds they are unreliable. Maybe it was at one point, but today it's rock solid. Anyway.....

Since owner horror stories aren't the most unbiased source of information, I decided to see what the Nissan side of the story was. I discovered that Nissan stepped up to the plate and extended powertrain warrantys to 100k or 10 years on nearly a decades worth of models. They have no plans to abandon CVT development or utilization like many other companies who've merely dabbled in CVT. Also, the Juke has an entirely new CVT that promises to be a big improvement. They have added an auxiliary gearbox with a clutch as well as reduced internal friction by 30%. From what I have read the programming that controls it is much better as well. Hopefully these new changes that are currently only available in the Juke CVT will spell better reliability...because...as much as I hate to say it, Mroxbury has a point in that CVT has been problematic. If it wasn't then Nissan wouldn't be compensating owners. The important part is how Nissan reacted. They stepped up and made good. Do you think Toyota would be as generous as Nissan? Their prevailing attitude has been "If nobody's been killed, what do you want from us?" Look into the Toyota oil gelling problem, it's in it's second class-action lawsuit and effects a large swath of their product line. Are they stepping up and making good? No, they're fighting tooth and nail to cover up the fact that a problem even exists so they don't have to honor their warranty obligations. They have whole engines filling up with sludge and throwing rods at 12k and then telling the owners "to bad, you gotta pay for it"... if you want to go by owner forum horror stories, and they are abundant.

Sorry to go on and on, but I'll wrap it up by saying that even if the CVT has a shorter lifespan, I trust Nissan to do right by me. Also, I'm so impressed with how the CVT performs, it kind of doesn't matter it may be a little less reliable. It's a pleasure to drive compared to a slushbox and it might be worth it to trade a little bit of durability for added comfort and performance. I'd say if they can guarantee 100k, that's good enough for me.

PyR0NiAk

Very informative post. It seems you are making quite a few of them... :)

JukieMcJukerson

Thanks for noticing. I studied the Juke from engine to shock absorbers before deciding it was the one you gotta buy if you are looking for something that is truly omni-capable. Just doing my part to spread the word.

WDRacing

JukieMcJukerson wrote: omni-capable
Bet you're good at scrabble :chuckle:

PyR0NiAk

JukieMcJukerson wrote:Thanks for noticing. I studied the Juke from engine to shock absorbers before deciding it was the one you gotta buy if you are looking for something that is truly omni-capable. Just doing my part to spread the word.
Stick around. :cool:

GRey1

My other car is a 2006 Dodge Charger RT. I now have over 2k miles on the Juke and have not been gentle with the car at all. I spend a lot of time in SPORT mode and today we got some good snow to play in. Had a little fun this morning, but when I get off work I'm really gonna try out this AWD. Manually shifting this thing feels totally different than the Charger. I normally drove the Charger in manual mode, the Juke not so much. You really run the RPMs up quickly and it just isn't as fun to play with manually. That being said, I'm not seeing the benefit in using manual with this car that I see with my Charger. This car is really fun to drive in Auto and it's AWD, so it's not like I'm going to be spinning the tires at lights like I do with the Charger. Oh yeah... it hasn't blown up yet, but I get off work in an hour or so and the snow is looking inviting. :biggrin:

JukieMcJukerson

Maybe you could make us a short video demonstration of the Juke taking on the snow? The internet is completely devoid of any visual record of the mighty Juke's prowess in that regard. It should have snowed here by now, but it's looking like we might have a green x-mas. I will definitely make a video if there is ever an opportunity.

PyR0NiAk

JukieMcJukerson wrote:Maybe you could make us a short video demonstration of the Juke taking on the snow?
I like this idea..

DIESELNUT
Car: 97 MAXIMA
02 F250 DIESEL

WDRacing wrote:I wonder how boost is regulated. Hopefully we can increase it fairly easy without having to deal with the ecu.
The boost sensor is located in the intake tube near the throttle body. It will go into defuel @32psi. I run a boost fooler on my diesel so the pcm never will see above 22psi. I'm sure that something like this will be out before too long. Boost Pressure will run 22-25 psi with regular fuel and 26+ with premium. Not bad for a gasser.

CVT's do not have a big failure rate, though they are not perfect(then again, what is?)

GRey1

I really enjoyed taking corners with the Charger in the snow, but it is nothing like having this Juke and grabbing the handbrake in a corner. These Goodyears suck a** in the the snow. They sucked on the Charger and they suck on the Juke. That being said, I can do a lot more in the Juke with these tires than the Charger. The size of the car and its manueverability make this thing a ball to drive (if you know what you are doing). The controlled skids are pretty fun and the car is really responsive. Does what you would expect/hope it would do. The idea of a video sounds good. Let me see what I can work out. Gotta find a camera person with good life insurance... :gapteeth:

kvg
Car: 08 Nissan Versa Sport, 89 BMW 325i coupe

mroxbury are you whining on all the forums? Even on the versa forum your complaining about your car endlessly :facepalm: . I worked for a dealer and I only ever heard of 1 cvt being replaced in a murano because the guy 4x4 it and smashed the tranny.
Back on topic the new Juke is a nice ride. I was looking at one but the versa had more space, I was kinda surprised. I guess I have to wait for a super charger kit :tisk: .

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

There are plenty of conventional autos that fail prematurely from ALL manufacturers, but people would never say "my tranny failed, therefore I conclude that the automatic transmission is a poor design and I'll never buy one again". Of course not, you just got a bad part or had some bad luck, but don't condemn every auto tranny because of one defect. The same is true for the CVT. And to address perceived "issues" with the Rogue CVT, early 2008 models and some 2009's did have some trouble but that was addressed with an alleged "countermeasure" CVT and a reprogram, and the 2010+ models have been trouble-free and existing 08 and 09's have all had corrective measures.

GRey1

Okay, I found someone crazy enough to hold the camera. :gapteeth:
Now all I need is for the snow to come back. :frown:

Return to “Juke Forum | Qazana Forum”