Bluetooth/ Aux/ USB

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
adrdsouza
Car: 2007 M45 base

Hi,
I have the 2007 M45 and it lacks bluetooth/ Aux and USB functionality. I've seen posts about the bt45-infi. I've also come across a product from Grom Audio (SKU: NIS02U3) that adds aux and usb and SKU: BTD that adds Bluetooth. Has anyone here tried this? How is it in comparison to the bt45-infi?
How can i check if my car has Sirius FM? I believe the bt45-infi connects to it whereas the Grom Audio module requires it to be disconnected.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I'll only say this once.

STAY. AWAY. FROM. GROM.

That company is a GIANT POS. Look up my thread on here with a review of the PA15-NIS and you'll see why. Stick to USA Spec.

adrdsouza

Thank you! How can i identify if i've got Sirius or not?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

There should be a CAT button on your stereo. Or, hit the radio button 2-3 times to see which modes come up.

adrdsouza

I only have AM, FM and disc options on mine

Ilya

Then your radio is not capable of SAT from what I remember reading in the USA Spec manual/from memory...but you may want to do some more research. If you don't have an XM/Sirius capable radio, your only option may be GROM after all.

Blackzilla
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45, 2014 Mazda 6

I totally agree with IlyaKol. the Grom is so crappy so much headache for it to not even work properly. someone on Facebook said it works great for them so if you have to get it hopefully you get an experience like his.

adrdsouza

Grom have also told me that it has to have satellite radio :(
Can i swap the head unit with one that is compatible and then add the BT45?

Blackzilla
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45, 2014 Mazda 6

honestly I couldn't tell you. I have the PA15-NIS and I thought I remembered that you could install it even if you don't have SAT. that or the PA15-INFI. I would get in touch with USA Spec if I were you

adrdsouza

I've emailed them. Worst case scenario, if it isn't supported, what could i change to install the Sirius/ XM capable unit? Where does the sat radio connect to? Is it directly to the screen or is there some kind of processor?

Ilya

PA15-NIS or PA15-INFI both require a SAT 'capable' radio as they use the "XM" mode.

You'd need to change your unit (behind the clock on the center dash) with a SAT unit. Not sure if there are any codes, etc. to 'unlock' them like there are on Honda's, etc.

adrdsouza

Thank you!
Is it the dvd receiver? There is one available on ebay? If not what is the part called? I assume the components of the system are the screen and the dvd unit?

Companionator
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

This is probably a long shot, but if you have the satellite radio pre-wire in your trunk that's all you need for the BT45. When I wanted to check if I had the wiring for the BT45 I followed the instructions from http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/pa15-i ... 5-m45.html to remove the trunk lining and see where the wire would be (if I had it). I didn't have a satellite unit, but I did have the harness that connected to the satellite radio unit. I plugged the BT45 to this harness and now I can stream music from my phone into the car. You might not have this prewiring, but I just wanted to let you know it was worth a shot to check before you open up the radio unit in the car.

Ilya

Companionator wrote:This is probably a long shot, but if you have the satellite radio pre-wire in your trunk that's all you need for the BT45. When I wanted to check if I had the wiring for the BT45 I followed the instructions from http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/pa15-i ... 5-m45.html to remove the trunk lining and see where the wire would be (if I had it). I didn't have a satellite unit, but I did have the harness that connected to the satellite radio unit. I plugged the BT45 to this harness and now I can stream music from my phone into the car. You might not have this prewiring, but I just wanted to let you know it was worth a shot to check before you open up the radio unit in the car.
I doubt he's pre-wired as his headunit itself doesn't even support SAT.

It's not the DVD player (that goes in the arm rest area). It's the headunit which is behind the 'clock' and has the 6 CD changer buttons, etc. You need the entire head unit from a SAT car. However, I don't remember anyone doing this so you are technically a guinea pig. Just so you know lol.

adrdsouza

I've found a complete set I.e. Screen, am/fm/DVD and button panel on eBay. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try this. I really cannot bear the thought of listening to fm for as long as I have this car :tisk:

adrdsouza

So the am/ fm/ DVD unit on the U.S. Models have the partnumber 28185EH10A and the one I have is the 28185EH500. Except the last three digits all else is same but I don't know what the difference is and where I could find out from. I'm not sure whether I should buy the USAspec bt45 nis and try installing it and then get the U.S. Part of it doesn't work.

Why can't we install a unit from a later model, perhaps one that already has Bluetooth?

Ilya

Probably due to wiring...but I don't know exactly. Compare schematics.

adrdsouza

Hi Ilya,
I've ordered the whole nav unit (dvd player, screen and buttons) and i am going to order a bluetooth module. This thing is i need USB functionality most of all. I need bluetooth mostly for calls. I barely stream music over BT or use AUX for that matter.

I know you've said the Grom unit is bad but i also saw you comment positively about the USB functionality. If i mainly want USB, is Grom the way to go? Is there anything else that does USB? It's a shame USASPEC doesn't support USB devices.

adrdsouza

Sorry, I can't seem to edit my previous post

Ilya, on the write up you did on how to install the Grom, you had positive things to say about the Grom and most issues you faced were fixed with the firmware updates. On every other post since, you've stated that they were horrible. What exactly happened for such a drastic change? Can you shed some light on why the product is so bad? Is it just the low volume? if i know the problem maybe i could check and see if anything has been fixed with newer prodcuts.

I know you switched from wanting USB to getting an ipod. I have an iphone but hate the way music is arranged. I prefer a folder layout which apple doesn't support.

Ilya

adrdsouza wrote:Sorry, I can't seem to edit my previous post

Ilya, on the write up you did on how to install the Grom, you had positive things to say about the Grom and most issues you faced were fixed with the firmware updates. On every other post since, you've stated that they were horrible. What exactly happened for such a drastic change? Can you shed some light on why the product is so bad? Is it just the low volume? if i know the problem maybe i could check and see if anything has been fixed with newer prodcuts.

I know you switched from wanting USB to getting an ipod. I have an iphone but hate the way music is arranged. I prefer a folder layout which apple doesn't support.
When I first installed it, I 'didn't know anything better' so I was very pleased. Then I started to have issues with the USB (I purchased it primarily to use a flash drive with) due to the cable being loose, poor connection, wouldn't always turn on or detect the drive etc. (memory is hazy since it's been years but it was just very poor quality as far as the hardware itself). I decided to bite the bullet and buy the USA Spec. and was BLOWN AWAY. After I installed the USA Spec. is when I started to say that Grom should be destroyed (the whole company).

A GROM song at 100% volume was the equivalent of a USA Spec. song at 40%. The USA Spec. sound quality was better, functionality/integration was better, etc.

As for the way iPod's store music...I also like folders which is why I created 'smart playlists'. All of my music is divided into 9 genre's such as Electronic, Country, etc. Nothing in between. I have playlists setup which mimic 'folders'. For me, it's perfect.

adrdsouza

Thanks for the clarification Ilya! Is there anything else that works like the mediabridge perhaps?

Ilya

That I do not know.

adrdsouza

How does the ipod connect to the usaspec? The USB is only for charging right?

Ilya

It has it's own iPod cable.

Brian35XR
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x
2006 Infiniti M35x
2004 Infiniti G35 - Sold

the bt45-infi acts as a MiM (man in midde) unit for the satellite receiver in the trunk so i'm not sure that changing the headunit itself would do anything for you.

what kind of hardware do you have in the upper right part of your trunk under the rear deck cover?

adrdsouza

Since i do not have the CAT buttons on my radio, I'm not sure if it supports sat radio. The BT45- INFI connects to the sat in the trunk however the BT45-NIS connects behind the radio. Once i swap it out i can surely plug either the USA SPEC or Mediabridge product at the back of the radio. The nav unit is on it's way to me and i ordered the Audiovox mediabridge AMBR 1502-NIS today. I'll feedback once installed.

adrdsouza

It worked! I changed the radio/ dvd unit and connected the Mediabridge to the back of it. I also had to change the vehicle control center buttons. I now have aux, Bluetooth and USB! It sounds and works really well.

Now on to an amp/ speaker upgrade!

Ilya

If you could provide any in-depth information on how the process went (or was it strictly plug and play), we can sticky that information for other readers.

TOMatBMR
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

I'd love to see more info as well. The fm transmitter used in my car sucks.

adrdsouza

Since mine is a middle east spec, i had to replace the radio unit and the infiniti control center buttons but that won't be applicable to all of you in the U.S. hence I will attempt an explanation of the install and the device :)

This is the back of the radio (It looks exactly the same as my old radio but i wasn't sure if the mediabridge would work so i swapped it out anyway). The two connectors that are important are the sat connector and the vehicle harness as highlighted in the picture above. There are three plugs that come out from the mediabridge, the first connects into the vehicle harness, the second into the sat connector and the vehicle harness that was originally plugged into the radio will go into the third. The original sat connector that went into the radio will stay disconnected. All other harnesses that i haven't highlighted will stay plugged in as normal.

The Audiovox mediabridge allows you to retain satellite radio but you need to buy an additional part for that

the above dipswitches need to be adjusted to retain sat radio but since i never had sat radio and couldn't care less for it, they are both in the off position. The manual explains which to keep on to retain sat radio with the additional module.

I've routed the device to the center console as below. I disconnected the charging port and passed the wires through the existing hole.

Below are the ports on the device.

I passed the USB to the cup holder. It is currently connected to my iphone 6+ and allows me full contol via the radio buttons but i intend on using a flash drive since i don't like sorting through music on the phone while driving.

Mic is routed to the driver side A pillar. AUX, USB and bluetooth all work well. The volume is really loud with the volume turned up half way. People i have talked to over bluetooth or with my phone connected via USB can't tell that i'm not talking via the handset. All in all i'm really happy with the purchase. If someone wants USB or sat radio, then this is definitely a better option than the USASPEC since it doens't have either of those functions. I will do a video in the near future.

Thanks,
AD

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”