Bluetooth audio streaming for 2008 EX35 working!

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
pilotbob3

Hi Jim,

Delighted that it works for you. It really does add a huge amount of value to the use of our cars. I've driven a few brand new Infiniti's and found that now that our's have BT audio streaming, the feature set of the new ones are not hugely different.

I'm envious of you iPhone guys as the music info shows up on the screen. Out of curiosity, does the album cover appear on the screen, or just the song info?

Wish the Viseeo guys would get it working for us poor Android folk. Not the biggest deal in the world.

Enjoy,
Bob

ZopiEX35
Car: 2008 EX35 journey

I also recieved the three items these morning and was so looking forward to getting the results some of you have had. Not so in my case. I plugged the infinity ipod/iphone interface to the dockStubz+ , then to the Scosche IFWAHBK home dock followed by the Tune2air WMA1000. Last, I plugged my micro usb charging cable. I noticed the blue light come on briefly. I happene to be holding he units in my hand and noticed the Scosche IFWAHBK home dock was getting pretty hot followed by some smoke. I immediately disconnected power. Checke my power outlet breaker (strangely still good). I decided to follow gw611589700 post where he eliminates the "The Scosche IFWAHBK home dock pass port charging adapter" to see if this woul help. Either it doesnt or one of the units was damaged. Any ideas from anyone here?

I've seen the 2011, 2012 EX35 have the same layout for the head unit. wonder if the interface for steering wheel audio controls/speakers is the same, and if a 2011-12 unit would be an easy swap to my 2008EX (which has the bose/nav) ?

ZopiEX35

so sorry for not using the spell checker fellows. I will do so from here on...promise.

pilotbob3

Sorry to hear you had trouble Zofi. There is really little you could have done to cause such a problem.

Do you know which piece of kit was smoking? Sounds like it was the Scotche adpater. If so, my only thoughts are a faulty USB charging adapter (putting out too much voltage), or a faulty Scotche adapter.

If you purchased from Amazon, they are really good on returns, you might ask for a replacement.

Then, next time I'd try a different USB charging adapter, and plug the units in one at a time (with the most expensive WMA1000 last).

Otherwise, I'd be at a loss to figure out what happened.

-Bob

ZopiEX35

Thanks for the reply. All three came from Amazon, and I concur they are very good about returns. I will try one more time with a different charger and cable. Ive ordered a new infinity - ipod/iphone interface. Good advice on the sequence of connections.

By chance do you know if the 2011, 2012 EX35 head units will be an easy swap to a 2008?

pilotbob3

Sorry, no idea if a newer head unit is plug compatible. If you're so inclined to do the research for us, you could download the maintenance manuals for both the 2008 and the 2011 and see if all the connectors and signals on them are identical.

Kind of sounds expensive to replace a head unit, but would be interesting for all of us to see if possible.

Keep us informed on the replacement parts and best of luck,
Bob

ZopiEX35

Thanks Bob, I'll post any findings on head unit swapping. Meantime, I have successfully installed the dockStubz+ along with the Tune2air WMA1000 ( note I left out the Scosche IFWAHBK home dock ) and it works like a charm.
Happy driving!!

jims1103
Car: 2009 Infiniti FX50S

pilotbob3 wrote:Hi Jim,

Delighted that it works for you. It really does add a huge amount of value to the use of our cars. I've driven a few brand new Infiniti's and found that now that our's have BT audio streaming, the feature set of the new ones are not hugely different.

I'm envious of you iPhone guys as the music info shows up on the screen. Out of curiosity, does the album cover appear on the screen, or just the song info?

Wish the Viseeo guys would get it working for us poor Android folk. Not the biggest deal in the world.

Enjoy,
Bob
Bob,

No, while the artist, album, song info does display, I don't see any album covers on the screen, nor did I ever even when using the direct wire. Would be cool, but I'm thrilled with what I've got. One month on, and I could not be any happier than I am with this solution. Thanks again!

Jim

M35xVI
Car: M35xVI

I must admit, after one year of trying to get my 2008 Infiniti M35x to play Pandora & Spotify from my Android phone I was skeptical about spending another penny on trying to make it work with my Android. But the threads from your Web site was right on the money. I spent $144 with Amazon for Tune2air,Dockstubz+,and passport charging adaptor. After pairing my Galaxy 6 Active, with in seconds I was listening to my favorite music.
From St.Thomas V.I.
Thank you all!

TrippiN

This is a great thread, thank you for everyone that has contributed....

Can anyone confirm if both the Dockstubz+ and the Passport Charging Adapter are required to make the tune2air WMA100 work in a 2009 EX35? Or will just the Dockstubz+ be fine?

Could anyone also confirm if any other adapters have worked for them? The Dockstubz+ and Scosche are ridiculously expensive to get up to Canada...

http://www.amazon.ca/Scosche-passPORT-C ... B001HN6CVA ($105 Canadian for an adapter??)

pilotbob3

Hi Trippn,

Most people in the thread say you don't need the Scoshce anymore. Something might have changed in the Docksubz or the WMA1000 since I first made the combo.

Just a thought about Amazon being expensive in Canada. Not sure, but the same components are available on Ebay, if that's an option for you.

Best of luck with your setup,
Bob

c00lkatz
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35X

Thank you for the information OP! Searched high and low for a working bluetooth audio setup after getting this car. However, I do want to throw my 2 cents in on what worked for me.

2008 Infiniti G35X w/ Technology, Premium, & Navigation

Acquired used so it didn't come with the cable. Purchased the OEM Infiniti cable 284H2-1BA0B from Circle Infiniti on eBay for $35 shipped, the WMA1000 for $89 on Amazon, and the Cablejive DockStubz+ adapter for $22 from Amazon. I already had a 12V to USB adapter handy.

Now when I plugged everything in and turned on the car I was able to connect right up to the WMA1000 via bluetooth and everything worked great. However, it did not want to reconnect once I shut off the car and turned it back on. I noticed my USB adapter was flickering & making a ticking sound (evident of a failing power supply), and the WMA1000 was not powering on. So I unplugged and replugged in the USB cable and it started working. I then tried without the USB cable plugged in, and it worked great! Power off, the WMA1000 would power off, power back on and the WMA1000 came back on and was connected to my phone and auto playing Spotify within seconds. So I thought, what if I don't even need the Cablejive adapter. I figured I would at least need it for the 30 pin charge conversion. HOWEVER, once I just plugged the WMA1000 into the OEM harness, it came on and worked. Did my on/off test, and once again it powered up with the car, connected within 5 seconds, and was autoplaying from Spotify again. So for my setup, all I needed was the WMA1000 and the OEM harness.

Now, I think part of my success was spending extra for the original Infiniti OEM harness and not the cheaper aftermarket solutions. That's the only thing I can figure.

I am going to continue testing for a few days, and if all works without problems I am going to return the Cablejive adapter ($22 is $22 after all).

And for those wondering since I couldn't find it ANYWHERE else, Spotify DOES display the artist and track information on the screen and you CAN use the steering wheel controls to skip forward and backward. Loving this thing!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm using an iPhone 6s Plus with latest 9.2.1 update, and my final config is OEM Infiniti harness to WMA1000, no additional adapters necessary. I have a few songs in my library, and they show up and play just fine with artist and track info (no album cover art). However, I mostly use Spotify for streaming, and it works great, along with navigation via Google Maps (the $150 plus dealer fees to update navigation on this thing is HILARIOUS!) and the phone side connects with the built-in bluetooth and makes phone calls just fine. Music fades out and resumes during phone calls fine. Another side note, though the 6s Plus is not listed on Infiniti's bluetooth compatibility list, it does work as you'd expect, but you can not download the phonebook entries. You can only make and receive basic phone calls. Which means you have to use your phone to initiate any phone calls (if you don't take the time to manually edit every entry in the phonebook...which who is gonna do that), though you are able to receive phone calls just fine. So basically the built-in bluetooth is only good for making phone calls that you initiate on the phone itself or receiving incoming calls. Total bummer for such a nice bluetooth phone & navigation system that is borderline unusable. :( However considering the time frame this car was built and what was available then vs now (technology changes so fast!) you really can't complain all too much.

pilotbob3

Hey coolkatz,

Great find about the OEM-Infiniti cable!!! I have long suspected that the reason you needed all of my adapters was a problem in the pin connections in the original cable. Perhaps Infiniti has changed the cable. I never wanted to invest the time and the money (would have to get some breakout adapters) to actually debug the Infiniti cable. Would love to hear from other future people if the new cable solves the issue once and for all.

Personally, I've forgotten all the adapters since ever since I've installed it, it's sat in my center console without further issue, but yours would be the absolute right answer going forward.

Last suggestion about your 6S phonebook download, I've never saw a problem downloading my phone book from my Android phone (but I personally don't use that feature now- I don't like to expose my phonebook to anyone else who might drive or borrow my car), I would almost bet that with the 6S there is a setting on the phone to allow the uploading of the phonebook upon a new BT connection. You might want to check for that (delete the BT config from both the car and the iphone and reinstall). Also, you might find Siri a better way to dial your phone than the steering wheel integration. On my Android, which is always listening, all I have to do is say "OK GOOGLE" and tell it to make a call. Works perfectly and I never have to press a button at all.

Great job,
Bob

c00lkatz

Hey Bob,

Yeah I'm thinking either people were using the cheaper aftermarket cables, didn't realize the cable that came with their car wasn't original (if purchased used), or Infiniti has since updated its pinout (though I would think that may warrant a new part number). Either way, I'm happy that the WMA1000 works with the OEM cable alone, and suggest everyone try that first. The cable I received was purchased on eBay, but it was from a real Infiniti dealership and the cable was in original Infiniti packaging, part numbers and all.

As for the phonebook download, I did try re-pairing the phone and could not find an option to upload the phonebook. After some research, it seems that feature is not supported on the iPhone, and hasn't been for some time. It is also listed on Infiniti's bluetooth compatibility list as a non-supported feature for all the iPhones. That being said though, I agree it's probably not the way to go about it these days anyway. I have my phone mounted on a windshield mount (mostly for navigation purposes), and the button is just a tap away. Also, they do have "Hey Siri" available now which is similar to "OK Google" so hands free call initiation is still possible. When it was first released you had to have the iPhone plugged in to power, but they have since removed that restriction with the latest updates. Personally, I have "Hey Siri" turned off, as I don't like the idea of my phone listening to everything I say, though it probably happens anyway lol.

cej22
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey

Alternatively, this is a good solution if you want to use the AUX input on your radio for BT audio.
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-RFBTAUX- ... Streaming/
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5596

Plug it into the 12V outlet and RCA inputs in the center console so everything is hidden. This was ideal for us because we keep an iPod in the car at all times. We get to retain that option as well as have BT audio through the AUX input. BT phone still routes correctly through the stock system.

c00lkatz

Well, unfortunately Siri is not working properly. The WMA1000 has been working properly, powering on with the car, auto connecting, and playing music automatically (if the Spotify app hasn't closed). However, with the WMA1000 connected to my phone, Siri does not work when holding the button or attempting "Hey Siri." I am connected to both the WMA1000 and my built-in G35 bluetooth, and when I press the button it is looking for a voice signal coming from the WMA1000 which obviously isn't going to happen. "Hey Siri" does the same thing...well it doesn't respond at all since the built-in microphone no longer works when connected to the WMA1000, and is instead looking for a microphone connected to the WMA1000, which it doesn't have. When I initiate a phone call and manually select the built-in "My-Car" bluetooth, then Siri (and "Hey Siri") works as expected, though when you activate Siri, the G35 display shows like you're making a phone call, and there is a considerable delay. Also, after initiating the phone call to select the proper bluetooth device,"Hey Siri" doesn't work unless you wake the phone. If the phone "sleeps" (or you hit the power button to sleep) then "Hey Siri" doesn't work (which is not normal..."Hey Siri" works without waking the phone in other non-related scenarios). However, this is only a temporary fix, as you have to do this every time you start the car. Should work for a long road trip, but for regular drives/short distances, it's a no go. I am not sure how to set up "My-Car" as the default bluetooth device. As far as all of the other functions go, it works fine, but when it comes to using Siri, it falls short.

Another weird "glitch" I've found is once you start the car and connect to the WMA1000, if the Spotify app (or whatever music app you last used) is closed (not running in the background), then it will not display the artist & track info on the screen, but will instead show a blank background. You have to scroll through the sources back to the iPod interface for it to pick up the song info. The song still plays, it just doesn't show the track info. Once you scroll through the audio sources and get the track info to appear, it will stay there, even after a car power off & power on, but once the app has been closed, either manually or by the phone for memory management, it will disappear again.

Still works well, but the Siri thing really bugs me. Siri worked fine before the WMA1000, but for some reason the WMA1000 is set as the default bluetooth audio device for not only output but input as well, which is strange considering inbound phone calls route properly. Not sure how to fix it :-/

jakenbake
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35

iPhone used to let you pick and choose what Bluetooth services were available for services. For example, you could set the WMA1000 to only work for music and nothing else. But they got rid of this feature. :-(

c00lkatz

Well now it's not connecting instantly. Now it's taking around 5-10 minutes before the WMA1000 to even turn on and connect. The light doesn't even turn on until then. I've tried reseating the cable, but no go. It worked as before once yesterday, but is back to doing it again. Right before it started happening I had an instance where it was disconnecting and reconnecting several times.

Already returned the Cablejive adapter. This has become very frustrating.

pilotbob3

Hey coolkatz,

Yup, this is the problem I had with my setup. That's why I added the adapters....

c00lkatz

No idea why it worked every day for a week before exhibiting the symptoms. Very strange. Guess I'll have to reorder the dang adapter...

revmitcz
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 w/Premium Package

Apologies for bumping this thread -- but I can't seem to get this solution to work. I have a 2009 Infiniti G37 with the Premium Package -- GPS, Satellite, Aux, iPod cable input under the center armrest, etc.

I can't for the life of me even get the "iPod" screen to show up. I assume I should be clicking the DISC/AUX button and it would show up, but it never does. Am I hitting the wrong button? I swear I've looked all over the menus and can't figure it out.

I've now purchased two separate iPod cables from two separate sellers, and neither of them will work. I don't know if they're OEM or not, however, and I'm not sure how to tell if they are. Any clues on that one? Or someone selling a VERIFIED OEM cable online? Or, for that matter, does it sound like the cable is the issue here?

Abilinkis
Car: Infiniti Ex35

Hey guys,

I apologize as well for bumping the tread. I purchased all the devices through Amazon and received them in the mail yesterday. I attempted to connect my iPhone 6 today, but it didn't work. I have 2008 Infiniti Ex35. Dunno what I did wrong...

Would appreciate the help!

Suzuki Todd

Is there a place that sells a longer OEM cable? It's too short.

pilotbob3

Abilinkis wrote:Hey guys,

I apologize as well for bumping the tread. I purchased all the devices through Amazon and received them in the mail yesterday. I attempted to connect my iPhone 6 today, but it didn't work. I have 2008 Infiniti Ex35. Dunno what I did wrong...

Would appreciate the help!
Hey Abilinkis,

Sorry for late response, I don't check this thread very much anymore. Did you work out your problem? If not, what does not work? Does your display show that iPod is connected?

pilotbob3

Suzuki Todd wrote:Is there a place that sells a longer OEM cable? It's too short.
You might be able to use an extension iPod cable, not sure but this might work http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1908904156 ... noapp=true

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Quick question as I finally pull the trigger... Does this work with the latest and greatest IOS on Apple ? iPhone 7 or an updated 6/6s ?

pilotbob3

Hey XIS,

No idea here as I'm not an iphone guy. Can't see why it would not work, give it a try and let everyone know. If you purchase from Amazon, they are pretty good at returns if the stuff does not work out for you.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Thanks. I miss my HTC One... Android is SO FAR ABOVE iPhone in so many areas.... iPhone is better in a couple areas, but overall, Android destroys iPhone. Hopefully my next iPhone7 is as good as my HTC was about 3-4 years ago.... but I digress.

I will get this stuff soon and let you know if the new IOS causes any issues. Thanks again!

pahanorlando
Car: 2002 Infiniti i35
2010 Infiniti G37

Thanks for the guide. I tried to get it to work on my 2010 Infiniti G37, but it didn't work. Now I am selling adapters and the unit here on forum.

wma1000-tune-air-scosche-adapter-and-ca ... 11863.html

Redbeauty84ZX

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Recently got this working in my 2008 EX35 and it sounds and works great on my Android! Like others I only needed the CableJive Dock and the Bluetooth adapter. For the Bluetooth adapter I actually went with the Coolstream CarPro which is a little bit cheaper than Tune2Air recommend here and does the exact same thing.

Link to the Coolstream CarPro:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017R ... UTF8&psc=1

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”