Blowing oil all over my engine bay...help please.

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
meet07
Car: 89 180sx rb25det

I know that the rb25 has weak ring lands also. why not just replace the rings with aftermarket, arp rod bolts,headgasket and arp head studs and call it a day. cheap budget build.

gawdzilla
Car: none

meet07 wrote:I know that the rb25 has weak ring lands also. why not just replace the rings with aftermarket, arp rod bolts,headgasket and arp head studs and call it a day. cheap budget build.
i'd think you would need new pistons that have stronger ring lands. replacing just the rings doesn't make the ring lands any stronger

wakotow
Car: '93 240sx S1 RB25 + HX35

I think I'm doing pistons (Mahle), rod bolts and bearings then an oem gasket kit and head studs and call it a day...if I can pull the cash together I'll also do the clutch (any thoughts on the clutchmasters stage 3?) I don't want to pull the motor out again...but taking out that upper radiator support made it super easy to get out, we'll see how it goes.

I discovered that my knock sensor wiring was damaged...part of the wires were exposed through the plastic, possibly grounding to the block...the quality of wiring on this swap is terrible...I think I'm going to move it all under the dash...then I'll know it's right.

ST240
Car: RB30DET s13
01' Pathy

You are going to get the bores measured right? That will most likely reveal to you that they are out of round (which is normal) and you will need to bore over. You can't just slap in new pistons and "call it a day" ;) .

And then if you're doing that, you might as well put in some good rods/bearing like so like you're saying, you don't have to touch it again.

wakotow

yup, I was slightly out of round, but still within the factory spec. but I was out of spec when it came to taper (only a few ten thousanths allowed)...so I'm going .020 over (86.5mm) and calling it good.

Any insight on if I should go Mahle or CP for pistons?

ST240
Car: RB30DET s13
01' Pathy

You can't go wrong with either of those brands. Both are good.

wakotow

sweet! I decided on the Mahle pistons...I'm stoked to get this beast back together.

meet07

Any progress??

wakotow

Heck ya I've made some progress

I pulled the beast apart, broke 3 ring lands to pieces, didn't score the walls at all...pretty kool.

here's cylinder 1, and the piece that broke off.

Did some wiring

ECU wiring then and now.

Moved the radiator forward almost 2 inches

New parts

After the machine work

Painted the engine bay, the car to follow...someday, I hate body work...also you can see the passenger fuze box is gone, I moved it all to the drivers box, or eliminated the circuit (who needs AC anyways?)

The motor is sitting in the car right now, had a weird clack noise when I started it, even when the plugs are out and it's just spinning. It hits once per revolution in the rear of the motor...come to find out the oil pan has the vibration...I'm pretty sure (I'll know for sure this evening) that due to ARP's stupid rod bolts being longer than stock, they're hitting the baffle in the pan, it's weird that I didn't feel it when I was turning it by hand...it must just barely be tapping it...so I'll just cut/bend the baffle and make everything clear, then it'll be good. Also I got the coil power relay powered by a switched power source that isn't powered during cranking...lol pretty stupid, so I have to redo that one wire, everything else seemed to work. not much longer now...

I also made my own rear head drain, basically copied the spool concept, my dad's a machinist, didn't take too long on the mill/lathe, I didn't get a picture of it though. I already had 1.5mm restictors in all three oil feed to the head, I wan't sure what to do at that point, and I couldn't get them out...so I just put a 1mm restrictor in the center feed, and I'll call that good...should be about the same net flow...but a tad more even across the head.
I've been keeping up with the build more on our local forum...here's more pictures if you want to see
http://nv240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8128

meet07

It looks as if ill be starting a build similar to this soon...

wakotow

sweet, what'd you do to yours?

Got the oil pan ground down, no more clacking...she just purrs like a kitten now...ah I miss that sound lol...

meet07

To be honest im not really sure. It might have something to do with the anti lag that I recently installed. I noticed oil in the ic piping a couple of days after the track. And at the track I was 2-stepping all over the place. Even while driving. I think that might have been a stupid idea on my part....so im paying for it now!

wakotow

ya, I'd be awful tempted to use a 2-step often if I had one...

woo hoo 150 miles, no issues...

screamer pipes ftw!

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”