Blower Motor Problem

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
RichRog
Car: 2002 QX4

Andrew224 - Thanks for the step-by-step instructions in changing the AC Blower Amplifier. If was an easy fix that took no longer than 1/2 hour and saved me lots of money from taking it into the shop.

Anyone that has this problem will appreciate the time you spent in posting detailed instructions.

Thanks Again!!!

aatarheel
Car: 1999 infiniti QX4

Thanks to Andrew224 for the fan module problem
I took my dash out before I ordered the parts and it was so easy
saved me a bundle and the directions were right on

thanks again :yesnod

pday
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Thank God for this site....here in Florida when you wake up without the A/C blowing, you rapidly begin to lose your mind. I dreaded calling the dealer to get this repaired as they would have billed me over $1500 regardless of how easy the fix is. Having said that, my problem was that the fan just stopped blowing. At first I thought it was the fuses, but those turned out fine. I found it odd that the A/C controls all seemed to work and I could hear the compressor turning on. I could even feel a little cold air coming thru the vents when ECON was put in place. So I googled, found this site and saw the instructions with the photos and thought that even if it didn't work I'd only be out about $170 (cost the dealer parts dept charged with tax). I was going to order only but after shipping the cost was about the same and I could return the parts to the dealer if they didnt' work. Short story - it worked like a charm. I changed out the filters which were filthy. I think they were original which pissed me off because I have paid the dealer many times to change those filters. I guess they chose to commit fraud and bill me without changing. Whole thing took about 30 minutes plus another 30 minutes in travel time to pick up the parts. I'm betting the dirty filters contributed to the Modular Assembly unit going bad. Siince I've had the car for close to 9 years, I do expect certain parts to start going.

Now if I can only figure out why my car won't always start. I assume it is a starter problem but I believe that would cause a clicking sound. In my case, I turn the key and nothing. It's kind of like when you try to start the car in Drive. So my easy solution is to jiggle the gear shift a little and voila, it works. But I think that's a coincidence. Has anyone had problems with the car just not turning over?

-Phil in Florida
2001 Infiniti QX4

Tinbendr
Car: 1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE

1999 Pathfinder SE - Summer time here in Mississippi. It's been 100+ for several days in a row. I need my fan back. :mad:

My trouble is that the blower doesn't blow on ANY setting. It worked one day. Got in the truck the next day, no fan. I replaced the blower motor because all of the problems I'd read about said that the fan at least worked on high. Changing the blower didn't fix it.

I replaced the fan amp. It lasted about 20 seconds. No fan again. My SE doesn't have cabin filters.

A little history. The fan control had been acting funny. If I drove for about 20 minutes, stopped for a few minutes, then start driving again, the temp would blow warm/hot for 10 minutes, before the temp would start to drop. Didn't always act the same way each time.

I pulled the first amp apart and will probably try to fix it myself. The thermal fuse is blown for sure. Thought I might jump it to see if the MOSFET is dead also, then replace both if needed.

Where do I go from here? Do you think I have a short? I guess i could jump the plug and see if the fan fuse will blow. :werd:

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

If anybody needs it, the part number for the blower motor resistor for R50 pathfinders is 27150-0W714. My original part was 27150-0W712.

Tinbendr
Car: 1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Update on my blower trouble.

I ordered new amp. It lasted about 20 secs, then died again.

I rebuilt the original amp with new MOSFET. It wouldn't run either. Found the fuse blown. Installed the modified amp, but it would only run at low speed on any setting, even off.

Put the replacement amp back in and it ran for about half a day, then blew the fuse again. Put the next larger fuse in and it has run for two weeks. I've got my fingers crossed.

Jayvig
Car: 1999.5 QX4

Hi Everyone,
I have a 1999.5 QX4. I have been have problems with my AC/Heat turning on an off after about 30 seconds and new I would get taken advantage of by the dealer. I wanted to thank Andrew and Solara for the posts as I am not the most handy person and was able to take apart the dash, swap out the AC Blower Amplifier and filters. The Infiniti dealer wanted about 280 for the part and I called the local Nissan dealership and they charged me 139 and about 36 for the filters. I could have gotten them even cheaper online, but wanted to get it done today. Everything works great and the pictures posted were fantastic.

Good Luck everyone and thanks again!!!!

gtownblast
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE with Nav Package

Worked for me. One note that my Pathfinder LE 2002 did not have a cable to hold up the glove box just had to remove the two bottom pins as shown in the picture.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

gtownblast wrote:Worked for me. One note that my Pathfinder LE 2002 did not have a cable to hold up the glove box just had to remove the two bottom pins as shown in the picture.
Same here for my 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L. Not a giant difference from the guide, nonetheless.

devonianwalk
Car: 99.5 Pathfinder LE 3.3

Thanks for all the help guys. My 99.5 Pathfinder LE 3.3 fan quit working. The auto climate conrol displayed the fan speeds but did not move the blower motor at all. I went to the local Nissan dealership and purchased the fan amp. It fixed my problem in just ten minutes. Thanks for the detailed instructions!

In my eyes, my comfort is worth well more than $160. I probably would have spent the $700 dealer service had it not been for the NICO forum.

sfr4dr
Car: 2003 Pathfinder SE 4x4 Auto

My blower stopped working a few days ago as well. The relay and fuses appeared to be alright. I had the glove box off and installed a new control amp while at the dealer and it worked. I wasn't thinking (in a rush) and headed home with the fan on and the amp plugged in but not screwed into the housing. Well, it heated up, stopped, and appears to be blown as well! I'm hoping it was just my error and not the blower itself burning out the amp. Thoughts? I'd hate to buy another, install it correctly, and have it blow as well.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

sfr4dr wrote:My blower stopped working a few days ago as well. The relay and fuses appeared to be alright. I had the glove box off and installed a new control amp while at the dealer and it worked. I wasn't thinking (in a rush) and headed home with the fan on and the amp plugged in but not screwed into the housing. Well, it heated up, stopped, and appears to be blown as well! I'm hoping it was just my error and not the blower itself burning out the amp. Thoughts? I'd hate to buy another, install it correctly, and have it blow as well.
I'd think it's your error, since you didn't screw it into the housing where it would receive airflow by operation of the A/C.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Small bump, but here is some clarification on the part numbers to alleviate confusion, as well as some photos of the actual part in question:

The part my local Nissan dealership gave me for $82 is 27150-0W714, while my factory original was 27150-0W712. Looking at Courtesy Parts, none of the 27150-0W714 are specifically for the R50, but whichever one Nissan gave me works fine in my R50. It's also $47-ish there, I should have bought it from CP rather than my local dealer. The 27150-0W712 is also available, but it is "uncategorized". The actual R50 part that I found looking through Body Electrical -> 270 Heater & Blower Unit is [27077] HEATER SWITCH RESISTOR, 27150-R50001 for $59.60.

And photos of my nonfunctional factory original 27150-0W712:

rydebynite
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5l V-6

damn man these idiots at the dealership gave me the wrong part.I knew it was wierd when he said that it is the same thing and that my car required the resistor! well i blame myself for not pulling the darn thing out and taking it in there w/ me when i went to go buy it.well back to the dealer i go (20min drive) hopefully there is light at end of this so called tunnel lol

tangtanoi
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Hello Everyone,
I'm so happy to have found this Forum. I'm having trouble with the A/C & Heater in my 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE. One day the a/c and heater just stopped blowing air. When I am driving above 50 mph depending on what temperature I set it at, I can slightly feel some air (ie. if I have the temp at 60 I can feel cold air if I have the temp at 90 I can feel hot air). If the car isn't in motion there is no air what so ever coming out of the vents. I was told that my blower motor was bad so I purchased a new blower motor, installed it and no luck still no air coming out of the vents. I checked all the fuses and all the connections to see if maybe some wires were just bad and everything turned out fine. It doesn't seem to be an electrical issue because the digital dash is showing everything. I can lower and raise the temperature turn it on auto and econ etc... but nothing is coming out of the vents. My defrost is also not working. Any help would be so great. I just don't know what it could be.

Thanks,
Sam N.

Frank_thetank_otero
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 LE

I am also having the same problem as Sam above. One day the a/c and heater just stopped blowing air. When I am driving above 50 mph depending on what temperature I set it at, I can slightly feel some air (ie. if I have the temp at 60 I can feel cold air if I have the temp at 90 I can feel hot air). If the car isn't in motion there is no air what so ever coming out of the vents. I was told that my blower motor was bad so I purchased a new blower motor, installed it and no luck still no air coming out of the vents. I checked all the fuses and all the connections to see if maybe some wires were just bad and everything turned out fine. It doesn't seem to be an electrical issue because the digital dash is showing everything. I can lower and raise the temperature turn it on auto and econ etc... but nothing is coming out of the vents. My defrost is also not working. Any help would be so great. I just don't know what it could be.

xboarder2001
Car: 2001 Crapfinder

I put my amplifier in and had the key turned on. My fan still isn't working. Did I ruin the amp? I took the fan out and cleaned it up (blew it out with an airgun). Still didn't help. Getting cold in the northeast and need to know if I should order an after-market blower or try replacing the amp again. And I did replace the in-cabin filters too. What is the other filter that is there?

xboarder2001
Car: 2001 Crapfinder

Sam/Frank, the reason you are feeling the air is because you are moving fast enough for the heat (A/C) to be pushed through the system. The fan isn't working at all,unless you can actually hear it. The fan itself is only 3 screws, the plug and popping the tub off the heater box. To get to the screws, you will need to pull down the lower part of the dash, which includes the glove box. I think there was a total of 10 screws holding the glove box in. Then you need to remove the piece just in front of the passenger door at the floor: One twist off nut and one philips head screw. Jiggle it out to get it out from under the sill guard. The 3 screws are easy to get to then and the fan comes right off. Use a regular screwdriver to loosen the electrical plug. Highly recommend the following: replace the in-cabin filters, the amplifier and remove the fan to clean it out with an air gun. Use a mask it WILL be dirty! Total time 30 minutes (plus your trip to the dealer to get the parts).

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

You can remove the blower motor and test it hooked up directly to a +12v power source using a couple pieces of wire.

Fasemann
Car: 2001 Infinity QX4

Solara, you saved me a boat load of money. As muphys law would have it on the coldest day of the year (4 degrees), my blower quits working and I'm clueless why? I could feel the heat barely coming out of the vents so I knew it had to be the blower. Did a google search went I got to work and Solora's detailed explanation with pictures pretty much summed up my issue to a 'T'. Picked up the parts from the dealer after work and installed the new amp and filter inside of 30 mins myself. Awesome!! Thanks a million.

Photoman
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 3.5L - 4WD

I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE with manual climate control and no digital display (only three knobs). My blower fan is stuck on the high setting and can't turn it off or lower the blower. As soon as the car is turned on, the blower is on high. Every other function on the heater/a/c control panel works (AC, temp setting, etc.). In doing some research, I kept coming across the issue of the fan control amp needed to be replaced. That is true of auto-climate control. Manual climate control (3 knobs control unit) needs a resistor replacement. I purchased one from my local dealer, part #27150-0w014 ($81 + tax), changed it and nothing. The fan still doesn't turn off. There was no change at all. The resistor is changed by looking under the passenger panel by the feet. Can't miss it. It took about 10 minutes. Fuses were checked. I thought perhaps I need to replace the Heater/a/c control panel. What should I do? Any suggestions?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Replace your blower motor relay, it might be stuck on.

Welcome to NICO.

Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

This is marginally related;

Does anyone have a noisy blower motor?

It's not terribly loud, just a faint rubbing noise.

I've isolated the noise to just the motor itself, but spray lubricants aren't doing the trick.

Has anyone been able to take apart this type of motor before?

Anything else to fix the problem?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Chris.m wrote:This is marginally related;

Does anyone have a noisy blower motor?

It's not terribly loud, just a faint rubbing noise.

I've isolated the noise to just the motor itself, but spray lubricants aren't doing the trick.

Has anyone been able to take apart this type of motor before?

Anything else to fix the problem?
post6102773.html

Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

Towncivilian wrote: post6102773.html
heh, I was pretty sure I had searched this before :facepalm:

Thanks Townie for the 8 min reply :bigthumb:

Photoman

Thanks Towncivilian for your suggestion to change the motor blower relay. I purchased one today and nothing. The problem still exists. As soon as the car is turned on, the blower is full blast.

I changed the resistor and replaced the blower relay. Any other suggestions?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Ideally, you would have posted here before shelling out for the blower motor resistor since the resistor pack is bypassed when the setting is on max.

I'd say the problem has to be in the fan switch in the control unit. A new fan switch is fairly cheap, though I don't know how to go about replacing it since I've never taken the control unit apart before. To gain access to the control unit, follow these steps.

Photoman

I was able to remove the fan switch and it seems like I might have to replace more than the switch. It appears that the wiring harness that fits in the control began to melt. It was somewhat difficult to remove. I took some pictures, but can't figure out how to post them. I have searched the FAQ sections and just can't find an explanation. Once I do, I will post the pics. I haven't yet ordered my fan switch. It is about $60 at my local dealer. They suggested that I first remove the switch to see if the harness had melted. If so, I would need to replace the harness as well. It had to do with the blower drawing up more power thus melting the plastic connector. At least that's the explanation I got.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Upload images to imgur and place the image URLs within tags.

It's strange that your wiring melted. I've not experienced or read of any melted wiring related to HVAC controls on any Pathfinder.

Photoman

Thanks for the instructions on posting images. I hope I did it correctly. The only thing that has been done to my car was a windshield replacement a couple of weeks ago. I just can't imagine what triggered this short. I hope I posted them correctly. I stopped by my local dealer to show them the pics and they suggested I go to a junk yard to find a connector. If I buy it there, I would have to purchase the entire wire harness that is found under the dash and it's very pricey. I'm hoping the wire itself didn't melt because that will be a pain. To the junkyard I go.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”