Blower Motor Problem

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
wrx
Car: Infiniti QX4 01' (off-road mini project and traveling)
Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon LTD 98' (w/JDM Bilstein suspension, Borla un-equal headers, STi v5-6 swap soon)
Mazda Protege5 03'(daily)

QX4 01 auto hvac.

I don't have air blowing out of the vents, it did make noises on all four ''leafs'' when it was working. I am about to buy both the resistor(I guess that's the fan amp right?) and the blower motor with the cabin air filter on ebay should it fix the issue? I guess yes, but how do I know exactly which one is faulty? Beside it doesn't get stuck on full blast or anything like that, it just doesn't blow air at all, tried everything on all modes, no air. Its still winter here and this has to be solved asap lol.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

The resistor and fan amp are two separate things; the auto HVAC uses the fan amp, and the manual uses the resistor. You will need to buy the more expensive fan amplifier. You shouldn't need to buy a new blower motor either, just a new cabin filter.

wrx
Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon LTD 98' (w/JDM Bilstein suspension, Borla un-equal headers, STi v5-6 swap soon)

Thanks alot, do you know the part number of that fan amplifier? and why shouldn't I get a new blower motor? I'd thought the noises came from the blower motor?

PS:(sorry my english is not perfect it's my third languages, trying my best).

EDIT: I found this on ebay is this the fan amplifier for the auto hvac?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2001-Infiniti-QX ... 14&vxp=mtr

Ain't no cheap part.. :ohno:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NISSAN-PATHFINDE ... a5&vxp=mtr

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

The part number for the fan control amplifier is 27761-70T03.

Sorry, I misread your first post - if your blower motor is making noises, try removing it and cleaning its cage and housing (see this thread) and changing the cabin air filter. If that doesn't help, you'll probably need to replace the blower motor. What kind of noise is it? Is it a squeaking / squealing noise?

wrx

Its was like a tickling noise.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Is it sort of like the ticking in this video?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts-OoRFLSrw[/youtube]

wrx

Yeah it was similar to this. :confused:

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Is it excessively loud, or just a quiet ticking noise which is noticeable only if you listen for it? If it's quiet, you can install a cover to make the noise quieter; details are in this thread.

wrx

well since it doesn't blow any more air you don't hear anything. when it did, the noises were loud enough so you would easily notice the noises coming from the vent or especially on passenger side.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

If the noise was that loud, then perhaps the blower motor is starting to fail. I would still try cleaning it as I mentioned above to see if that helps.

wrx

Yes I will give it a try cleaning it and see if magic happens. I also read somewhere that giving it some knock on the module and or blower would make it work temporary, well I did nothing happened.

Draxanoth
Car: 91 Nissan Hardbody

I have a 91 Nissan Hardbody pickup, which I think is equivalent to the 91-94 range of Pathfinder. The last couple days I realized my heater fan (blower?) would suddenly kick on, making me notice it was supposed to be on the whole time. Today it wouldn't run at any speed, and I'm trying to narrow down what might be responsible.

I have no AC in my truck since it's from Alaska :biggrin:. Based on the earlier posts, does that mean I do not have a fan amplifier?

If I understand the posts correctly, that means I should have a resister instead. One of the posts indicated if you have a resistor, and the resister is faulty, the blower should still run on full since it circumvents the resister on the highest setting. If that's the case, and mine won't run at all, it is most likely not the resister, correct?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Yes, your Hardbody has a resistor. I'm not sure whether the fan will run on the highest setting in your case. I suggest inspecting the resistor wiring for damage and definitely cleaning out the area behind the resistor which can get clogged with leaves and other debris, potentially becoming a fire hazard.

This thread on NPORA has more details on cleaning the blower motor resistor area.

Draxanoth

Towncivilian wrote:Yes, your Hardbody has a resistor. I'm not sure whether the fan will run on the highest setting in your case. I suggest inspecting the resistor wiring for damage and definitely cleaning out the area behind the resistor which can get clogged with leaves and other debris, potentially becoming a fire hazard.

This thread on NPORA has more details on cleaning the blower motor resistor area.
Holy crap. :eek:

We don't have much in the way of leaves here, but it could be filled with pine needles.

The resister cluster (is it called a cluster?) looks very similar to the voltage regulator in my dash, super-sized.

Thank you for your insights.

Draxanoth

Well I replaced the resister but the intermittent on/off still exists. Sometimes it comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Bumping and bouncing never seems to have any impact so I don't think it's simply a loose connection. I also had a slight burning smell for the first time while I was working on it, but the area behind the resister was clean. I imagine it's going to be somewhere that is difficult to reach... :facepalm:

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

It is fairly simple to remove the blower motor (remove the glove box and a little side trim piece in the footwell, then 3 screws holding the blower motor in). Perhaps you should remove it and see if it will work when connected directly to the battery (with a fuse in-line preferably if you can rig one)? The motor itself may be faulty.

racerx2oo3

I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE with automatic climate control. I'm having the exact same problem as Draxanoth. The original problem was that the blower was stuck on high, before I could order the fan control module the blower stopped working, but would work after some period. I replaced the fan control module, which fixed the full speed blower issue, but I'm still getting failures were the blower motor stops working. Usually it will work fine, turn car off and restart a few minutes later and no blower.

The filters were very dirty, I blew them free with compressed air until I can get the filters.

Need help, its the wife's car and its been HOT.

Sean

Pathgrinder
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

Thank you! I found this old post and it fixed my problem. You all rock!

Kelley

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

racerx2oo3 wrote:I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE with automatic climate control. I'm having the exact same problem as Draxanoth. The original problem was that the blower was stuck on high, before I could order the fan control module the blower stopped working, but would work after some period. I replaced the fan control module, which fixed the full speed blower issue, but I'm still getting failures were the blower motor stops working. Usually it will work fine, turn car off and restart a few minutes later and no blower.

The filters were very dirty, I blew them free with compressed air until I can get the filters.

Need help, its the wife's car and its been HOT.

Sean
Please run the self-diagnosis procedure described on page HA-37 of the factory service manual. Sorry for the delayed response.

Crissy
Car: 2003 Nissan Patherfinder

Due to this detailed thread I was able to attempt this fix. Just wanted to say thanks to you and everyone here for the help, and the saving of hundreds of $$$.

My problem was fan blower on high setting only with heat/AC temps working fine, but couldn't shut the blower off completely.

I just ordered a Wells HVAC Blower Motor Resistor pt# JA1809 for $90.00.I also changed the cabin filters which by the way where piled with dirt and pine

needles, had to carefully vacuum out the slot because it to was piled with dirt, small rocks, and pine needles.....

02pathyle
Car: 02 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Thanks for this forum, and thanks for all you helpful people who solved this problem for me. Blower ran at high speed and wouldn't shut off. It was the fan control amp. I had to find the part at Infiniti dealer, ($179 + tax) because I was traveling and didn't have time to order it online. I'm still happy for an easy solution from you guys, and a 15 minute fix!

Crissy
Car: 2003 Nissan Patherfinder

Installed blower motor resistor today "fan control amp" pt# JA1809 Wells HVAC. Every setting is working and can shut it off now :)

Thanks to all for saving me a lot of money... Next fix ABS light on.....

manicman
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx
2002 Nissan Pathfinder
2006 Nissan Frontier

Hey all
I have a 2002 Pathy, heater motor will not run. I replaced the heater preamp, after finding this thread. The heater worked for only a few minutes and quit again. I have read this whole thread and no one responded to the two or three posters that had the same problem as me. The part was not cheap from Nissan.
Can anyone tell me where else to look? Fuses are good. Is the fan blower the problem? I am not buying that part again only to have it burn out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Welcome to NICO.

You can try to apply direct 12v battery power to the blower motor after disconnecting its wiring harness to verify it's the blower motor.

dt19
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder

Thank you Andrew and Solara,
The instructions were very easy to follow and the pictures really helped! I am so thrilled that I could fix this myself and save some money. It took me about 45 minutes to do. If I were a little more savvy about cars, I am sure it would have been faster, but if I could do it, anyone can. Thank you again!

Bildiz

Hi All
I have quite a different problem, I have a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE and the AC/Heater just does not turn off. The car heats up, the unit is responsive to automatic temperature settings, the mode settings work as well, however the fan is always at the highest setting even when you move it up or down with the arrow button. When you hit OFF, the unit doesn't turn off, the only time it does is when I turn the car off. Does anyone in the forum have a similar problem? Would appreciate the help

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Park in direct sunlight if possible, then run the self-diagnosis procedure described on page HA-45 of the factory service manual.

Welcome to NICO!

Bildiz

Thank you for the quick reply, I will try.

Bildiz

So I did the diagnostics (by the way thanks for the heads up regarding the sunlight because I thought first its the sun inload sensor 25 but then I turned the car towards the sun and it was 20, no problem with the sun sensor) everything worked well except perhaps at the end I believe step 12, the intake sensor showed 43F while outside temp was 23F, nonetheless the car is warming up fine. I just cannot turn the AC/Heater unit off. Could it be as simple as a blown fuse?

Bildiz

Reading the older threads(Crissy) it looks like my problem is also the blower motor resistor

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”