Belt squealing!!

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Niti QX4
Car: 2004 Nissan Xterra

NismoDan wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:52 pm
Looked in my factory service manual to see how to get the PS belt off...but after loosening the nut I was supposed to, and playing with the adjustment screw, NOTHING would move.I looked around for any more bolts that I might have missed, but didnt see any.When I try to adjust the PS pulley, the bolt just moves up and down without moving the pulley!
There is a pivot bolt that may be too tight to allow the PS pump to rotate. If you loosen this bolt, it should rotate more easily. Here is a pic of the Pivot Bolt behind the pulley:

Niti QX4

Ok, so it turns out the Gates belt is definitely the wrong belt. There are two different belts, depending on whether or not the car has the rear steering option. Apparently, gates doesn't know there are two different size belts and the only way to get the correct belt is from the dealer.

Niti QX4

I am going to the dealer today to compare the two belts. I will post pictures.

Also, I'm going to start a new thread to specifically address my individual issues with this from the beginning. I think that way it will be more clear to anyone that finds the same issue confronting them.

Niti QX4

Well, after the trip to the dealer - disappointment. The belts were the same size. After spending about an hour at the parts counter looking at all the different parts breakouts and the numbers, the counter guy and I came to the conclusion that the first year engines must have different brackets or belts than what is shown in the system. We could find nothing to explain why the belt specified is too long.

So, the answer was a change in belt size to one smaller. That fixed the problem. Starting the new thread now.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”