Basic cost for SR20DET

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
SpeedFreak

I am the 1337 4@xo|R Damn right! {FF}Speedfreak of the Fatal Fire Clan ip 66.119.193.3:27015 BRING IT ON YA nOOB!

SpeedFreak

What if I bought you a plane ticket, gave ya a place to stay while you were here in Alaska and took ya fishing for Salmon or king crab? I have all the tools ya need and everything but I had surgery on my arm and cant do it myself. Hell most people pay thousands to come up here and fish or just to see Alaska. I live in Anchorage btw.

ennui
Car: Cars, computers & snowboarding

SpeedFreak wrote:What if I bought you a plane ticket, gave ya a place to stay while you were here in Alaska and took ya fishing for Salmon or king crab?
Damn car mechanics get all the cool deals . . . first, wholesale prices on brand name parts, next, women flaunting themselves just for a "ride" . . . and now this! free fishing trips to Alaska . . . *sigh*

. . . I had a funny feeling I picked the wrong profession when I signed up for CS courses this semester.

Daunttless

Heh, are you talking to me Speed? : )

SRdS14
Car: Workin on my car, chillin with friends, basically whatever...

that is all about right...i spended about 5500 on my sr20...i got a few other "little" (hehe) things. JWT ECU way...~Scott

SpeedFreak

YEAH I am talking to you. Think about it.

Daunttless

Hehe, well, I have never seen Alaska, who knows, Torry might want to go up there as well. : ) But the crab is tempting, although I vastly prefer snow crab. : )

Reklaw

Daunttless, you rock man! Do you have a website for your shop, engines for sale, setups, etc? Just curious. Thx!

BTW, I can't believe you have 709 posts and you don't know how to use the smilies. :shocked Or maybe you were just kidding?

Later

-Reklaw

Daunttless

Heh, I like my smilies the best. : ) I can use the other ones, I"m actually quite computer literate. ( was a computer engineering major )

I will be putting up a website in the not to distant future, now that i have a name I can start working on everything, I'm still trying to get my finances in line so I can offer everything to you guys at rock bottom prices, we'll see. : )

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

What is the name you're going to use for your shop? I haven't caught it yet.

Daunttless

Midnight Motorsports

Its the best we could come up with. : ) If you have improvements, make your suggestions asap. : )

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

I think I have a better name, but it's not mine to give. My cousin and I came up with it and he might want to run with it someday. I'm sure we would let you use it if we could copyright it. Not exactly up on the legal aspects of names and such, but I am going to find out soon.

Reklaw

Daunttless wrote:Midnight Motorsports

Its the best we could come up with. : ) If you have improvements, make your suggestions asap. : )
I really like it...catchy and appropriate.

Structure240sx

daunt im goin for gettin the swap done in april will u have sr's in stock then.. ill get u do it to save me any headaches with wiring not my thing and i rather know everythign is goint o work. but what if im drving home to jersey adn it over heats or soemthing else fails? and kind of warranty? does ur swap include the sr radiator? would give u a deposit now but i wnat to sell my s14 kind riced it out damn fast and the furious and i wnat to get a 5spd to get used to before the sr

Daunttless

Well, I will be aiming to always have engines in stock, but I can't predict the future. : ) I wish I could. If you're driving home to Jersey and something happens we will take care of it 110%, unless you decide to drive to Jersey in first gear at 70mph or something equally stupid. : ) Our warranty is comprehensive. Generally the radiator is included, but its not guaranteed. Enjoy your day!

SweetDreams
Car: Cars, video games, and women

man daunt... you are getting all the attention.:icesangel

Daunttless

Thats because 99.9999999% of the board members love me. : )

SWIFT_DRIFT

b|tch!!! :D :P

Structure240sx

duant would it matter if i had an s14 and wanted a blacktop s13 in it? how long does the warranty last? will it be voided as so as i start doin an mods?

Daunttless

No.

6000 miles/6 months for now, if its abused it will get shortened.

So long as we do the work, no. If other people do, yes.

Structure240sx

you reaply as fast as ur rb 240 is goin to be

Daunttless

Well, I try. : )

fiznat
Car: Grown up :(

wait so daunt-- modifying the engine will void the warranty? I remember saying you had some sort of partial warranty deal thing worked out for people who wanted to do their own work - I hope thats still In effect. It'd be pretty stupid to say that any modifications would void the warranty... cause... well.... isnt modding the whole point? Heh.

I understand you dont want to be responsible for other people's craftmanship (or lack thereof), but I dont think a TOTAL invalidation of the warranty is necessary....

Daunttless

Theres a startup guarantee for people that do their own work. And truly, thats exactly it, I can't be held liable for someone elses craftsmanship or lack there of. If we do the install and install a bunch of performance parts, and 5 months later the person adds a bigger turbo and turns up the boost, but doesn't improve the fuel system and it goes boom, thats not our responsibility. : ( Regular maintenance, unless its the source of the problem does not void the warranty. I hope I've been clear, basically if we do the modifications its covered under warranty, if someone else does, we can't cover that. Yes, modifying is the entire point, but there will be a miniscule portion of the population that has us do the install and then heavily modifies their engine, the vast majority of our customers who will be heavily modifying the engine themselves will not be having us do the install. Theres still the startup guarantee, he's talking about the extended warranty. : )

94teggy

Hey Daunttless,

I'm also thinking about selling my 94 Integra, which i can get about $5,000 for...and i'm looking at a 240 coupe with engine probs. for $700...if i buy a swap from you what else should i get with any money i may have left over...like boost controller, turbo timer, BOV, clutch, etc...

Also i would like to do the S13 Silvia conversion...would you be able to sell me one if i bought an engine from you...i really wouldn't care if the bumper, fenders, and hood were all different colors because i'd be getting the car painted anyways.

Thanks -Jon-

Edit: Also about how much would shipping be to North Carolina? And do the swaps come with the gauge clusters and ignitor chip?

fiznat

Yeah Ok... I can see that.... but maybe you should still consider some sort of "defect" warranty. Natrually you cant be expected to be liable for the idiocy of whoever destroys their engine on their own, but you should still probably cover things within the engine that are mechanical defects and whatnot... I mean- the engine can start up and still have major problems, ya know?

I donno if you're just going to attribute all that to the fact that the engines are all used and not new- but you should still be at least somewhat responsible beyond startup I think.

Not to say that I think you'd screw someone over if they found some huge problem in their engine after installing it themselves and having it start up-- I'm just sayin...

doctorj240
Car: Black s14 w/ redtop

maybe you should open a shop and worry about some punk kid trying to screw you over b/c he did a bad job of tuning his car. the legal world sucks big time. i wouldn't want to open a shop because of it. i'd be happy that he's even offering a warrantee to begin with, that's alot better than most shops or importers can say.

fiznat

and why dont you buy an engine from some guy halfway across the country only to find out it's got a crack in the block or something- but no, you dont have any warranty because you installed it yourself.

OBVIOUSLY I'm not saying that Daunt would do something like that, but just like he has to protect himself from stupid people breaking their engines and blaming him, we -as consumers- need to protect ourselves from low quality merchandise and tricky salesmen.

Again Daunt, no offence intended… just for the sake of discussion.

Daunttless

One at a time...

94tegg: The S13 conversion is 1000 dollars, they all match because they all come from the same car. I get them all from the same car because I prefer that the body panels properly line up. : ) Shipping on an engine to NC would be between 200-300 dollars, the gauge cluster is an additional 100, and the ignitor chip comes with the engine. As far as extra parts, I'd go with a clutch. : )

DoctorJ: Thats pretty much basically it, I"m offering as best I can, but I know I"m going to get screwed by at least 1 person. : )

Fiz: As DoctorJ said, the legal world sucks. : ( I truly do stand by my products though, hence the startup warranty, its not perfect, but it will cover 30 days worth, if theres anything wrong relating to the quality of the product, its covered. I will be keeping careful records of my engines, including digital images among other things, serial numbers, etc so that i can provide an extensive warranty to people and still somewhat protect myself. My engines will be of the utmost of quality, all of them are tested prior to shipping, if any problem surfaces in the near future, it will be taken care of, if a problem surfaces 9 months down the road, I can't really take care of something like that, how do I know that you didn't change your oil till the day before it blew up and all that time it had been waiting to burst. : ) Thats the problem is that there are lot of people who are going to try and take advantage of my comprehensive coverage, hence only limited warranties unless we do the work. It costs you another 1000 dollars, but it also guarantees quality, a lack of headaches, and a warranty. I hypothetically cannot have thousands of dollars going out the door because a guy dry starts his engine after its been sitting for a while and messes something up. Thats not due to my quality, its due to the fact that they didn't manually crank it to flow some oil. Because of the thin line between that and just having something messed up when it goes out the door, I can't offer protection against that. I'm sorry, I try to do the best I can, but it only goes so far.

fiznat

...and that's good enough for me. :)

trust me, you'll be the first person I come to when it's time to buy that engine: limited warranty or not. I want to do the install myself, even though I've never done an engine swap myself-- not to save the 1k, but just to get the experience (and fun) out of it. If that means I have to take some risks, then so be it. I have no real concerns about the quality of your product, and if I did I'm sure they would be resolved by the already satisfied customers you'll have by the time I get my s*** together. dont be sorry about what limitations you have to impose- I think they're pretty fair. If I didnt, I'd take my (admittedly nonexistent) money elsewhere.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”