Barts 1973 LJ Torana VH41 Twin turbo project

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
Bart

Thanks OutoWinPAHC for the offer but unfortunaely what Superhatch said, BUMMER

iViLe
Car: 64' chev belair, holden gemini!

So where do the valve covers actually leak from?

Bart

iViLe wrote:So where do the valve covers actually leak from?
They leak from where its been welded. Its not very good alloy to weld.But im in the begining of making carbon fiber ones, just about to make a silicone mold of the flange area of the valve cover since this is the most important part to seal. The top of the cover (mold) will pretty much be free hand made of foam keeping in mind it will be semetrical to the other valve cover.Wish me luck, im going to need it

iViLe
Car: 64' chev belair, holden gemini!

Hmm I see now, too bad you cant just seal it up with some kind of sealing agent, paint, etc.

Well good luck!

Kirby260
Car: Datsun 260z

So interested to see where this goes.

I'd buy a set!

Hey Bart, Whats your engine SN? I'm trying to figure out the year of mine.
Bart wrote:They leak from where its been welded. Its not very good alloy to weld.But im in the begining of making carbon fiber ones, just about to make a silicone mold of the flange area of the valve cover since this is the most important part to seal. The top of the cover (mold) will pretty much be free hand made of foam keeping in mind it will be semetrical to the other valve cover.Wish me luck, im going to need it

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Bart. just curious being a LS guy. Sometime we pull heads from the larger displacement engines for the smaller engines in our series. The benefit is larger runners, and higher CC combustion chambers for boosted application on a budget.

Do you VH41 guys ever swap the USDM 4.5 heads? Seeing your going to boost her it might be a fairly cheap mod that can also solve the valve cover issue.

Bart

OutToWinPAHC wrote:Bart. just curious being a LS guy. Sometime we pull heads from the larger displacement engines for the smaller engines in our series. The benefit is larger runners, and higher CC combustion chambers for boosted application on a budget.

Do you VH41 guys ever swap the USDM 4.5 heads? Seeing your going to boost her it might be a fairly cheap mod that can also solve the valve cover issue.
Hmmm I see where you’re going but this may require a bit of trial and error. It may be worth while but im pretty set on carbon covers at the moment. But thanks for the "out of the square idea" I appreciate that, reason i spend so much time on here.

Bart

Kirby260 wrote:So interested to see where this goes.

I'd buy a set!

Im not sure about the SN but its a 1994 VH41 JDM

Bart

Kirby260 wrote:So interested to see where this goes.

I'd buy a set!

I would love to sell a few setsJust got to make a set of my own and see how it performsI wont sell any until i know it works 100%, that is it looks good, and dosnt leak, so i will pressure test them before thinking of selling any.

Kirby260
Car: Datsun 260z

Hey Bart,

Do you still have your VH41 Automatic bell housing around (not in use?)

I am trying to get hold of one.

Thanks

Bart

I have mate but i do want to keep it for future use, may go auto later.Sorry mateTry http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/Good luck as they may sell the whole GB with bell housing

Bart

Hey guysPerhaps this question is more towards the Aus/NZ/Jap guys as i have a JDM VH41, I would like to replace the rear crank seal.Anyone know if this seal is the same as other nissan engines? Such as VH45, SR20's etc?? Part number would be good tooThanksBart

ISL33P
Car: VH45DETT powered

no idea, but i went to my local nissan delaer the other day and they didn't even have the q45 or vh45 engine listed...now they are telling me i need a chassis number. have you had the same problem ?

Bart

Yeah they want chassis vin #

Bart

Aussie Z

Hey guys, im in Newcastle and have a vin that i have used before for VH45 parts and part number through my local nissan parts place, i cant remember where i got it from but here it is

J N K N G 0 1 C 1 N M 2 0 3 2 1 4

they are both zero's but i cant tell if the last '1' is a 1 or and i when you get on the phone they will tell you if its good or not

Bart

That will come in handy thanks mate.Unfortunately mines a VH41.But thanks anyway the other guys would find it usefull

ISL33P

thank you !!!! I will definately be ringing nissan tomorrow. I will confirm if its a "1" or "I"

Ariel

Bart

Larger transmission tunnel mod for the RB25 gearbox

ISL33P

what adaptor plate did you use for the gearbox ?

Bart

I bought one from a bloke in Perth

Aus450zx
Car: 2+2 300ZX

Was that bloke Mayhem?

Impressive work with the new tunnel

Bart

Thanks mateIm not sure of his name but he owns/races a 300ZX with a VH41 and RB25t gear box in Perth.

Bart

Well its been over 3 and a half years (i think) building my LJ, i went for the engineer certificate and registration, And it passed. Thank christ its over.So im happy and relieved. Oh got to thank everyone who helped and a encouraged me, and advised me, there have been times when i was stuck but there was usually someone here who could help.

Unfortunately the car isnt fully restored and it shows in these pics, but the idea half way through the build was to complete it to the point of engineering and rego and here it is all engineered and regoed. Since half way through the build we/I was told, and most of us in Sydney heard the RTA (Roads and Traffic Authorities) will change the modification rules so i had to rap it up early. Has some primer etc on it but you get the general idea, it has potential to be a real nice looking Torana with some body work and paint which will come later.

Since my camera went flat on me i couldnt get close ups and detailed picsHeres a little peak of the passenger side turbo, GT3071R with K&N filter and a -8 Speed flow fitting hanging down to drain the oil, the oil drains through this and sucked through by a gear type electric oil pump, into the sump, the other turbo shares the same line/pump. The pump is used for drainage as the turbo is below the line of the sump i.e. not gravity drained

1WheelWonder
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Great work Bart!!

Chrispy300
Car: 1993 J-Spec 300ZX 5 Speed Slicktop

What are the changes happening in NSW for modifications?

Bart

NSW or Nanny State Wales plan on restricting the engine capacities in engine swaps. I think they have done this all ready in QLD? Its supposed to be a national code, but seems very blotchy, lots of mixed messages from the RTA, cant get a straight answer from those people.I think in my case with the rules yet to come, the maximum turbo engine size would be 3.0liters.

Bart

Thanks mate

Chrispy300
Car: 1993 J-Spec 300ZX 5 Speed Slicktop

Bart wrote:NSW or Nanny State Wales plan on restricting the engine capacities in engine swaps. I think they have done this all ready in QLD? Its supposed to be a national code, but seems very blotchy, lots of mixed messages from the RTA, cant get a straight answer from those people.I think in my case with the rules yet to come, the maximum turbo engine size would be 3.0liters.
Oh yeah, I've been working off that code. I quite like it, works well for the Z. It's the vehicle mass times 3 for the maximum displacement for a FI engine. I'm guessing that the Torry is pretty light compared to my 1500KG Zed :p

The interesting thing is it all depends on how it is interpreted. According to the regs there is no reason why you can't get a NA motor (such as the LS1) into a 300ZX (or whatever) under the NA engine swap mod cose, then at a later date get it turbo'd/supercharged under the forced induction installation mod code. Although it is over the displacement per weight, there is no clause in the forced induction code that limits the size of the motor at all.

Bart

Really?

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”