Bad bushing on 2000 Q45 AE

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
bjincali
Car: 2000 Q45 Anniversary Edition

A mechanic told me that I have a bad bushing on the rear left wheel of the car. He let me know that it was urgent to fix. The wheel is at risk of falling off. It just didn't make since to me. Are wheels falling off of cars because of a bushing?

Ludeaem
Car: 2000 Infiniti Q45 AE

Sure, in extreme conditions. Not out of the realm of possibilities. It's a multi link rear end so knowing which one is important. If you're asking this I assume you don't work on your own car? If so, just have the mechanic fix it

bjincali

Yeah, I just came from the mechanic. He showed me the driver side rear wheel literally wobbling on the axle. Very loose. Explains why I felt a slight wiggle while driving on the freeway. Very dangerous. He is ordering the parts to fix it. Should be golden by Monday.

98_Q45

Curious as to what bushing that was, or was it the rear ball joint?

I drove around on bad rear bushings for awhile before I discovered ebay has the bushings and control arms I needed. However, my wheel sat at a 5 degree angle, which likely contributed to the wheel bearing going bad.

That actually was a wobbling wheel, and it was so bad that I couldn’t go faster than 5-10 mph... else I woulda actually drove it til the wheels fell off

bjincali

It is the wheel bearing. He is replacing it tomorrow. It doesn't sit at an angle while on the ground. Looks straight up. However, off the ground... you can wiggle the wheel around by quite a bit... dangerously so. I noticed nothing while normal driving, except an occasional shimmy and sway when on the freeway or speeding through a curve (which made the care feel like it fishtailed). That's when I knew something wasn't right.

bjincali

Mechanic let me know that the bearing is fine, along with the hub, after he hoisted the car and examined the issue. The issue was a loose nut. He tightened it. Everything is working as it should from a tightened nut. Strange that it could come loose. But, whatever... ???!!!???

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

bjincali wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:32 am
Mechanic let me know that the bearing is fine, along with the hub, after he hoisted the car and examined the issue. The issue was a loose nut. He tightened it. Everything is working as it should from a tightened nut. Strange that it could come loose. But, whatever... ???!!!???
Long as the loose nut isn't behind the wheel. Those are the truly dangerous kind. :rotfl

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”