Backup Camera display issue

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
ncroiger
Car: 2007 Infiniti QX56

My QX56 recently started having backup camera issues. At first, when having the car in reverse the display was periodically staticy and some times it would be the normal camera display. After a couple days the display became all static when putting the car in reverse and the backup image no longer appears. The guidelines for the sonar still display as well as the map so it is not the display unit.

Is there any way to tell if the camera itself went bad or the Rear View Camera Control Unit went bad? I'd like to figure this out because each part costs several hundred dollars?

If anyone has experience with this problem and fixing it I would sure appreciate some guidance. I've already checked the connections to the control unit and will check the connection to the camera tomorrow. Hoping that's the issue, but I have a feeling it's one of the two components that just stopped working.

Thanks!

marctronixx

The camera control activates the camera, so if you are seeing the lines and just a blank screen, its more then likely the camera module itself is the culprit.

could be loose wiring or the camera could be faulty. see if you can pull some codes from the OBD port as there could be something else in the chain thats affecting things too.

what year is your car?

ncroiger

the car is 2007.

I just check the connections in the tail gate to the camera and everything is fine. I also checked the V to the camera and it registered 6V. I don't have an oscilloscope but I checked the Camera output signal AC Voltage and it was around .045 V. From the manual that looks within the correct range, but I can not tell if the signal is correct.

When disconnecting the camera, the display went black, but the sonar sensors still worked. Also no issues with the backup lamps. I also checked several pins on the backup camera control until and everything looked ok in terms of voltage and grounds as well.

When the camera is connected, it total snow on the display with the guidelines. I don't get any image from the camera, just white snow/static.

Will an oscilloscope tell me if I have the proper output signal when I compare it to the technician manuals? or should I just go with an educated guess and get a new camera?

Thanks for the help.

marctronixx

a scope will very much tell you that.

but to me it sounds like the camera sensor is faulty. the camera module looks to be in spec. if possible, see if there are any DTC (fault) codes on the OBD port just to rule out anything else.

ncroiger

Thanks. I checked the codes and there was none. When you mean camera sensor do you mean the camera itself? And NOT the control unit.

marctronixx

yes the camera may get power but the sensor could be the failed part. so although i cant see/inspect from the internet, it sure sounds like the camera needs replacing...

ncroiger

Thanks. I ordered and replaced the camera. Everything is working well again.

marctronixx

awesome!!!

olisa1010

ncroiger wrote:Thanks. I ordered and replaced the camera. Everything is working well again.

ncroiger...

did you get the camera from dealer or online? I am having same camera problem as you have described.

Scottqx56
Car: 2004 Infiniti QX56

Where did you order from and how much? Easy to install yourself? Thank you.

marctronixx

if its just the camera module, its easy to install but you need to remove the back door finisher to get to the screws for the camera module. the camera control unit is in a different location.

the camera module can be ordered direct from your local nissan/infiniti dealer or from ebay, salvage yard, etc.

Gonzalo Zambrano
Car: Nissan Murano

Where is located the camera control unit? Thanks.

marctronixx

download the free service manual and it will direct you to exactly the location.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”