***ASYMMETRICAL TURBOCHARGING G50 VH***

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Mettler wrote:Points taken mtcookson, just a couple of points in your essay that I'd like to query...

You comment that you need to set up a centrifugal to be boosting peak desired psi at redline, and if set up to do so earlier in the rev range you'll blow the motor. Wouldn't that be easily fixed by installing an adjustable pressure valve in the intake (in fact, the perfect place would be the frost plug in the side of the plenum chamber) to bypass through to the exhaust ? That way maximum boost pressure is always set at the valve, and you can overdrive the supercharger to boost harder, earlier.
That's actually a pretty interesting idea that I've never thought of. The only problem I can see is if you keep the MAF. If so, you would be letting out metered air and it would run very rich, just like if there were an actual boost leak. If you run an aftermarket computer using a MAP sensor that might actually work.

The valve itself might have to be a pretty good size to let out enough air. You might be able to use a standard wastegate but I would definitely do careful testing to be for sure.

On the overdrive you have to be careful of one thing... if you are able to control the boost where you want it, you have to becareful not to overspin the compressor. I'd leave enough room to where you were at least a couple thousand RPM below maximum. You'll have to calculate the pulleys and such but you should be able to get quick response if setup correctly.

Quote »Further to the overboosting problem... if a roots blower pumps 'x' volume of air per revolution, then as it speeds up, isn't it pumping an exponentially higher quantity of air as the RPMs increase ? How is this any different if you are only wanting to get 6-7 psi into your engine, and you're getting that straight off idle ? How do you prevent overboosting with one of these ?[/quote]I'm not 100% sure, but I think basically the roots supercharger pumps enough air into the intake to keep up with the engine and provide a constant 6-7 psi if you set it at that. Now... roots superchargers actually tend to lose a bit of boost on the top end, unlike a screws supercharger.

Roots and screws superchargers also have recirculation valves used for when you're at idle so that the supercharger doesn't pressurize the intake while idling. I'm not sure if they're used while running, I'd say probably not... but that could be a potential other way to control it.

Quote »As for fuel efficiency... wouldn't a roots type blower provide the worst fuel efficiency out of three engines, each of which is equipped with a different type of forced induction ? And also the worst reliability, since the air entering the cylinders is significantly hotter ?[/quote]Compared to stock, I'd say fuel economy would go up a little bit. Generally when you add on stuff like a supercharger you'll modify quite a few other things increasing the overall efficiency of the engine. When cruising, the recirculation valve would keep there from being positive pressure in the intake so there wouldn't be any load on the engine from the s/c.

The roots superchargers themselves are actually quite reliable. As for reducing the reliability of the engine... at low boost I'm sure it would last quite some time just as if it were to come stock with one. It basically depends on the maintenance and such of course. If you make a lot of power, it'll be just like any other setup, it'll reduce the reliability accordingly.

Basically... at low boost, the engine will probably last longer than you'll want to drive the car with any of those setups.

Quote »Where does the aftercooler go on the roots blower that's been set up for the VH engines ? (The one that Wes can supply.)[/quote]It would basically be sandwiched between the supercharger and and the intake manifold. If I remember correctly, that setup uses an M90 and there could be a good chance one designed for a Grand Prix GTP could work.

Quote »Lastly, surely an engine that already produces a significant HP & torque output with a good set of extractors (340+ HP at the flywheel) in a lightweight car with good gearing and a 4.375:1 final drive ratio, is going to have mean as acceleration out of corners in almost any gear, even BEFORE supercharging it ?[/quote]Essentially... but its more about constant power so to speak. Peak power means nothing compared to having constant power. Say for instance you have an engine that peaks at 400 hp but only averages 150 hp from 1 rpm to 7,000 rpm. Take another that peaks at 200 hp... but makes that 200 horsepower from 1 rpm to 7,000 rpm (200 hp average). The second engine is clearly going to be faster, even though the peak is lower.

This is essentially how the roots, screws, and turbo is going to produce power compared to the centrifugal (if doing a standard setup).

Newer normally aspirated engines that have variable valve timing and all the new and fun technology stuff tend to have a very flat torque curve, which is very nice to have (its like the constant power I was mentioning above). With a centrifugal setup though, since boost is linear, the power will be peaky. It would be same with a huge turbo. They make a ton of peak power, but nothing down low. That's where the dyno queens come from. Tons of power, but not all that fast.

(Hopefully I didn't make that sound too confusing... I just about confused myself typing that. )

STS's dyno comparison kind of shows what I'm trying to say: http://www.ststurbo.com/remote_mounting___

Quote »I ask all these questions because I'll quote up the price difference in parts & fabrication for a centrifugal & the roots supercharger from here, and weigh up the pros & cons, and make a decision from there ! :D[/quote]That'd be the best way to do it.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Great discussion mark and Mettler...

Hes right about the cenrifugal SC... Not the best idea for the VH. They wrok great on engines like the VQ because it already has a fairly strong low end and an already linear power curve...

The intercoolers they use for the GTPs rootes wont work with our setup because itd put the SC up too high... Apparently its really close to the hood as it is! Centrifugals work better on cars with a strong low end and bad high end... The converse is true for rootes/screw type SCs.

It would be interesting to setup a centri with a wastegate or something..... Put like a 9lb pulley and wastegate it to 7lbs... WOuld probably be loud, but itd sound cool! You could always place the MAF after the wastegate/SC...

Alcohol injection is the best idea for the rootes type SC. provides adequate cooling for such a low boost setup.. for low boost you woudlnt need a real big intercooler anyway..... Plus as you keep the air cool with water/alchy injection youll come close to a screw type SC in terms of efficiency anyway.

One important thing to note with rootes and screws you have to keep them at their peak efficiency. A good example is with the XJRs. Theyre stock boost is like 7lbs or something like that... Ive seen guys go up to 12lb pulleys but not note much change in terms of HP because all its doing is pumping more hot air, which sort of is a wash. WHICH COMPLETES lap 1 because if your running highish boost, a SC setup never is good compared to turbos because exponential total efficecny becomes more important at 20lbs than it is at 10lbs.. A difference in 10% at 10lbs is not much, but at 20lbs its quite a bit...

I personlly dont like the idea of losing the spider intake manifold. Its the only engine with anything like it and i really would miss it for a domestic looking blower...

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

Heh it's not confusing, I understand all this kind of stuff already... hence why the BA XR6 4.0 i6 turbo can accelerate faster than the BA XR8 5.4L quad cam V8, because the XR6 turbo has a completely flat torque curve between 2000-4500 rpm, so you're just accelerating at full torque for nearly half the useable rev range.

That's kinda what I want, a broad power & torque curve, not peakiness ! I was explaining it to my mate the other day, he thinks his RB25DET with a massive T78 turbo & big injectors is going to be amazing with 500HP, which surely it will, but that'll be 500HP at one small point in the rev range, and a ****load of lag before it hits that point. My VH41DE engine on the other hand, while having a lower peak power output, generates a larger power output if you average it across the whole useable rev range (1000-7500rpm), so will allow for much smoother & faster acceleration overall.

This is also why people are fooled into thinking small turbo cars go faster than big V8s, because they go by 'seat of the pants' feel, which is misleading due to the peaky nature of high boosting setups.

I'm well interested in the eaton M90 setup, provided I can aftercool it to ensure a cold intake charge.

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

Wes can you please link me to a page regarding your Eaton M90 supercharger setup ? I'd like to read more about it... a roots type blower is sounding a bit more attractive now... though unfortunately I would want to mount it to the top of the spider manifold with an aftercooler... it'd look tough, but weird at the same time !

Hmmm, I just looked at your Q45 page and you state $3500 to do it, that works out at around NZD$5k!! That's a crapload of money considering I only put $200 aside per week for the project car. I might just look into twinturbos as an option, because I know I could pick up two mint turbs for cheap, and a nice big intercooler... and the fabrication of manifolds would be easy enough too with the access I have to materials.
Modified by Mettler at 8:58 PM 6/12/2006

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

That wouldnt really work.. besides, my setup includes a manifold. Yuo bolt it ot the heads, slap on your injectors and its al good

zerothread?id=101551 ... that thread has all the info you need..... All this talk about it has got me thinkin about doing it... We'll see..

mtcookson
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

elwesso wrote:The intercoolers they use for the GTPs rootes wont work with our setup because itd put the SC up too high... Apparently its really close to the hood as it is! Centrifugals work better on cars with a strong low end and bad high end... The converse is true for rootes/screw type SCs.
Ahh, just cut a hole in the hood.

Quote »It would be interesting to setup a centri with a wastegate or something..... Put like a 9lb pulley and wastegate it to 7lbs... WOuld probably be loud, but itd sound cool! You could always place the MAF after the wastegate/SC...[/quote]There you go... yeah, just put the MAF on the pressurized side downwards of the s/c and the wastegate between the two. That would probably work out pretty well. I'd definitely get the biggest wastegate you could because it'll probably require quite a bit of flow to regulate it enough.

mtcookson
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Mettler wrote:Lastly, surely an engine that already produces a significant HP & torque output with a good set of extractors (340+ HP at the flywheel) in a lightweight car with good gearing and a 4.375:1 final drive ratio, is going to have mean as acceleration out of corners in almost any gear, even BEFORE supercharging it ?
I was going to mention something about the gearing and totally forgot.

On most forced induction setups you actually want to go to a lower ratio. Boosted cars make a lot of torque and using a lower rear end ratio it allows you to get more of that torque to the ground in each gear.

The beauty of this is the stock Q45 diff has a nice, low ratio like that for a good forced induction setup. Its actually slightly lower than that of the Z32 TT. Its only an R200 compared to the TT's R230 (which I should mention is slightly larger than the coveted Ford 9"), however, it has the same output flanges and spline count on the axles that the TT does. i.e.... very strong.

John Dixon
Car: 300ZX-TT Z32

Turbo Technics over here in the UK make centrifugal blowers with a fancy gearbox on the front that keeps them spinning at peak efficiency all the time.You get bottom end like a roots, but the efficiency doesn't then fall off to something like 40% like a roots does.There's one on a lotus exige and its amazing, feels like a big NA motor.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”